Books in other languages

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Re: Books in other languages

Post by Nin »

I will soon be reading a piece of theater with my students which has been written by a German shooting star author, ex-lawyer (whose writing turns a lot around the question of right and morality). He has written some compelling short stories under the titles "Crimes" and "Guilt" and two novels so far.

I don't know if the piece has already been translated, but I have seen that the movie version which has been made out of it exists in English under the title "The Verdict". The German original title is "Terror". If this could interest any of you, I'd be glad to ask some questions because I am afraid that I am doing something too hard for my students, exposing them to legal, moral, ethical and philosophical questions by a writer who is brilliant but also a brilliant manipulator, imho. (I love his books, it's just that I am aware how hard they make it for a reader to stay neutral while apparently they don't push in one sense or the other - it's brilliantly written.) This is a special piece as the public has to pronounce a judgement over a hypothetical crime (or not crime - that is precisely the question) and depending on the judgement of the public, the end varies.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

What's the name of this author?
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Ferdinand von Schirach (there is a hell of a history behind this name too, but once you know this, you read the author differently, at least I did)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I don't know these books, so I regret I'm of no help. What you've written interests me, though, so I'll look for them.

EDIT: I found both Crime and Guilt in translation on Amazon US, and have purchased Crime for Kindle. I won't be reading it immediately as I have another book on queue, but I'll let you know afterwards.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

My local library has an English copy of Crime and Guilt. I've reserved it.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

Some of those stories are very difficult to read. I hope you'll not be angry with me. I prefer "Crime" to "Guilt". Guilt gets very, very dark.

"Terror" is not as dark as some of the stories, but far more philosophically challenging.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Hmm... maybe I'll only read "Crime" then.