Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by Inanna »

Noted!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I hope you give Piranesi another chance at some point. The more I think about it, the more amazing I think it is.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ohmigod - just go read the Piranesi thread!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:hug:

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Okay, now that I've finished Juniper, and just this moment finished Wise Child, I can say that I had absolutely mushed the two books together in my mind! Two of the three things I remembered "so clearly" from Wise Child were actually from Juniper! lol

And now I have Colman sitting beside me ready to be read, and I don't believe I ever read that one. But we shall see, my memory isn't infallible. ;)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The next Lady Sherlock has been released.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've just started reading 'Juniper' then I'll read 'Wise Child' again. The library also had 'Coleman' so I'll read that. Did you break down & order a copy elengil? The library also had another book my Monika Furlong, Visions and Longings-Medieval Women Mystics so I'm checking that out too. It's not a fictional work but considered religious/women's studies.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I've just started reading 'Juniper' then I'll read 'Wise Child' again. The library also had 'Coleman' so I'll read that. Did you break down & order a copy elengil? The library also had another book my Monika Furlong, Visions and Longings-Medieval Women Mystics so I'm checking that out too. It's not a fictional work but considered religious/women's studies.

I found Colman for less than $50 (I think that was Amazon's price?) from one or other of the used books sites so I went ahead and ordered it, since I really wanted the whole series. I believe these are the only three fiction novels the author wrote. I do have Visions and Longings-Medieval Women Mystics, she seems to have done a good portion of writing on non-fiction historic topics.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:The next Lady Sherlock has been released.
*Just* finished reading it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is this the same as Enola Holmes?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

No.. this is Sherry Thomas' series on Lady Charlotte Holmes aka Sherlock Holmes.

What is Enola Holmes?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its a series of YA novels about Sherlock and Mycroft's younger sister Enola. There's a new movie on Netflix starring Millie Bobbie Brown as Enola and Henry Cavill as Sherlock. Its fun. :)

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah. I’ll make a note!

I was going through my kindle library and realized I have never recommended Or discussed Haruki Murakami.

Absolutely brilliant writer. No definable genre. Set in our world with inexplicable things occurring, which remain inexplicable. He makes it work. Fascinating!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar, that looks good! I love Millie Bobbie Brown.

Inanna, Haruki Murakami sounds interesting.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil, what time period do you think the Juniper/Wise Child stories take place? I have a guess, but there are a few things that conflict with my imaginings. I wish there were a story between these two books and it's a fairly wide range.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:elengil, what time period do you think the Juniper/Wise Child stories take place? I have a guess, but there are a few things that conflict with my imaginings. I wish there were a story between these two books and it's a fairly wide range.
In my memory I was thinking like 1800's, but after reading them again I am leaning way earlier, perhaps pre-1600's? But I just looked it up and apparently the inquisition didn't technically end until 1834 :shock: So... maybe it was 1800s?? Or 1700s?
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Given that the author seems quite knowledgeable about Christian church history/Celtic legend I am going to presume she was intentionally going for a very specific period in time. There are a couple of things that made me wonder, the greatest of which would be Wise Child's mention of the type of home 'everyone' she knew lived in, with the exception of Juniper, round houses made of timber (wattle) and mud (daub). These were common in the UK from the Bronze age to the sub Roman period, all of which are quite early. Sixth century or earlier? Gamal mentions a monastery in Streaneshalch. A church has been on that site since the late Bronze age. It wasn't until later (about 657?) that it became Whitby Abbey. If Gamal had meant Whitby Abbey I would think that is the name he would have used. A pre-mid 650's timeline would be in keeping with the wattle & daub round houses. This makes the time the tale takes place even older than I would have initially guessed. That said, Wise Child also mentions window glass, a large greeny leaded piece of it, in Juniper's home.

Glass objects have been around a very long time. Rapid development of glass production took place in the Roman era 25-400 AD but common production of large panes of window glass is much, much later. Small glass vessels were more common. True lead glass is quite late, 1674, unless by leaded glass it's meant that it was pieced together with lead like stained glass, which is entirely possible and could be earlier. Broad sheet glass was not common until the 1700's and later. Juniper was wealthier than most and obviously had objects of value from around the world so she was far above 'average' but it did make me wonder about the intended timeline. I'm guessing the glass mentioned (greeny) might be what is called Forest glass. Of course she also had a magic mirror...

Castle Dore was a real place/kingdom/fort in Cornwall. It was a Medieval Iron Age hill fort. There was a King Mark during the Dark Ages/early 6th century.. possibly known as March ap Meirchiawn in Welsh legend.

Sorry to get lost in geekery. I was just curious and got a little carried away. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

What was the title of the Le Guin book where the US is an authoritarian dystopia, intellectuals are imprisoned, science can only get published in China, and meanwhile climate change and natural disasters are reaching world-ending levels?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What?
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:What was the title of the Le Guin book where the US is an authoritarian dystopia, intellectuals are imprisoned, science can only get published in China, and meanwhile climate change and natural disasters are reaching world-ending levels?
I have no idea, but maybe it's in this article?
https://ew.com/books/2018/01/24/ursula- ... oks-guide/
was a 2020 planner.