Richard Armitage is awesome in 'The Crucible'

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Richard Armitage is awesome in 'The Crucible'

Post by Pearly Di »

Currently playing at the Old Vic, London, until September. I saw it last night. The critics have raved about it, and about Armitage's performance, and the hype is well deserved. An amazing theatrical experience, phenomenal. A thrilling, scary, heart-breaking production of an immensely powerful play.

Richard was magnificent as John Proctor: in the final, heart-shattering scenes, Proctor achieves a broken yet majestic greatness, and so does his wife Elizabeth, wonderfully played by Anna Madeley. My heart broke for them. Samantha Colley was a sizzling Abigail, drunk with her new-found power. The rest of the cast were all absolutely brilliant too. What a chilling masterpiece this play is. It works on so many levels, and has so much resonance for today. This review in the Telegraph sums up my opinion perfectly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... iller.html

The director, Yaël Farber, knew what she was about: in one scene, Proctor strips to the waist in order to wash himself after a day's farming. ;) (Hellooooooo, fangirls!) I had a very nice view of Richard's back. :P Well, honestly, why not. :)

But that aside: this was electrifying, emotionally shattering theatre. Wow.

Long running time: the play began at 7:30 and ended at 11:00!! Absolutely riveting from beginning to end.

[Oh, and seeing this makes up for not being able to get tickets for Kate Bush's sold-out concert. :D Which has got amazing reviews this morning!]
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal