Book 2, Chapter 6: Lothlórien

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Book 2, Chapter 6: Lothlórien

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I meant to respond to this the other day, and now I see that you have gone back and commented on Book 1, Chapter 1, so I better get my response in before I go look at what you said there.
Beorhtnoth wrote:Lothlorian is a chapter that gives the reader time to breathe, if not the protagonists. There are some beautiful and subtle character developments, specifically Gimli and Legolas, that presage major thematic beats.
I quite agree with this, but that is pretty easy to do.
However...

I have one major criticism; Gollum. He is introduced too early and his behaviour out of character.

By too early, I mean the rapidity with which he tracked the Fellowhip, from Moria and in daylight (he precedes the Orcs by hours). The Bridge in Moria was no more, but Gollum never lost their trail.

By out of character I mean the ease with which Gollum scales the Mellyrn. The Fellowship were camped in the heart of Elvendom, some mile or more from the eaves, and yet no ill effects. Contrast with Elven rope!

A small grumble, I know. :D

B
I'm not sure that I fully agree with this, my friend B. First of all, which is it, a major criticism, or a small grumble. ;) As for the rapidity that he follows the Fellowship, I will refrain from commenting, as I am notoriously bad with geography (and languages). However, I not sure I agree with your second point. Smeagal's reaction to the Elven rope is precisely because it is made by the Elves. The Mallorn trees are not made by the Elves, even if they only grow in Middle-earth in the heart of Elvendom (of course they also grew in Tol Eressëa and probably Valinor, and in Númenor before its Fall). Like the rest of the kelvar and olvar, they are beings that are created by Ilúvatar, and beloved by Yavanna. As is Sméagol himself.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Ha! :D

You are quite correct, Voronwë. I was being hyperbolic when I described my criticism as "major", which I recognised by admitting it was only really a small grumble.

However, I think there may be a slightly more substantive issue regarding Gollum and Elves. The rope was not "made" by elves, but woven by them. There was something of the Elves which imbued the rope, "magic" if you will. I feel that same "magic" would have imbued the mellyrn, a tree that was inextricably linked with Lothlórien and the heart of Elvendom in Middle Earth. I think the eaves should have had more of a "Girdle of Melian" effect on Gollum.

But as I conceded, it is a small quibble, and a perspective with which I am not totally comfortable.

Thank you for replying.

Edit - A thought came to me after posting; why didn't Gollum track the Fellowship to Cerin Amroth?

B
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

“Magic” in a work of fiction has never, for me, been better evoked than in the conclusion to “Lothlórien” and in the following chapter, “The Mirror of Galadriel”. It is not "wizard magic", the bending of the world to the caster’s will, such as Gandalf or Saruman conjuring fire, but "Elf magic", an essence of being. It is explained, as much as it can be explained, in The Mirror of Galadriel, but that wave of strangeness is first identified by Sam at Cerin Amroth, who Frodo saw
...was now standing beside him, looking round with a puzzled expression, and rubbing his eyes as if he was not sure that he was awake.
This is faerie glamour, the magic of the Elves, and this is its heart, but rather than expressing its power, Tolkien has Haldir point out how vulnerable this land is to the threat from Dol Guldur.
"...whereas the light perceives the very heart of darkness, its own secret has not been discovered. Not yet."
Already, Tolkien is hinting that Lothlórien can be but a brief refuge; that the threat is growing and the Fellowship’s travails enjoying but a brief hiatus.

This motif is repeated with Aragorn, who is “revealed” to Frodo by the magic of Cerin Amroth. Aragorn, in whose bloodline runs Man, Elf and Maia, belongs here, but his doom is at hand. Amidst the sense of wonder and beauty, Tolkien introduces finality, and a possible portent of Aragorn’s demise.
And taking Frodo’s hand in his, he [Aragorn] left the hill of Cerin Amroth, and came there never again as living man.
Edited to fix quote
Last edited by Beorhtnoth on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I always wondered about that line, because it implies that he came there as something other than a living man.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Was Aragorn interred in Lothlórien after his death?
Voronwë the Faithful

Other than that line, I don't think there is anything that suggests that he was. And this statement in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen certainly suggests that he was not:

"Then a great beauty was revealed in him, so that all who after came there looked on him in wonder; for they saw that the grace of his youth, and the valour of his manhood, and the wisdom and majesty of his age were blended together. And long there he lay, an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world."

I've got more to say, but do not have the time or mindset to say it now. I'll be back.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Beorhtnoth wrote:“Magic” in a work of fiction has never, for me, been better evoked than in the conclusion to “Lothlórien” and in the following chapter, “The Mirror of Galadriel”. It is not "wizard magic", the bending of the world to the caster’s will, such as Gandalf or Saruman conjuring fire, but "Elf magic", an essence of being. It is explained, as much as it can be explained, in The Mirror of Galadriel, but that wave of strangeness is first identified by Sam at Cerin Amroth, who Frodo saw
...was now standing beside him, looking round with a puzzled expression, and rubbing his eyes as if he was not sure that he was awake.
In their introduction to their expanded edition of Tolkien On Fairy-stories, Verlyn Flieger and Doug Anderson wrote: "Reading [Tolkien's essay on Fairy-stories], we can find between the lines his recognition of the flaws in his own fairy-story, The Hobbit. Beyond that and far more important, we see him hammering out the principles for sub-creation and the inner consistency of relaity in fantasy fiction by which he created The Lord of the Rings. What was effective and beguiling in The Hobbit - hobbit earthiness combined with fairy tale, the tentative beginnings of a Faërie Otherworld -- has been retained and wrought to a high finish in The Lord of the Rings.

This passage that you reference is a perfect representation of that advancement.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

And I would suggest it is no accident the reader discovers this advancement through the eyes of Sam Gamgee. His wonderment is meant to be our wonderment with our progression from the simple, "folklore magic" of The Hobbit to the complex mythogenesis of LotR and, by extension, the Silmarillion. Sam "wakes up" to this altered reality, as we do.

B