The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Frelga »

Túrin Turambar wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:55 pm It's a common criticism of the Branagh Poirot films (I share it). I like Branagh, but he seems to think audiences need a Poirot who's a James Bond hybrid. So, for that matter, did the RDJ Sherlock Holmes films. Maybe Hollywood doesn't think an eccentric detective is enough.
I have complaints about RDJ Sherlock, but this is not one of them. Book Holmes boxes, shoots, used disguises, and gets results through action as much as pure logic. Poirot sits down and deploys his brain cells.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I tried watching The Death on the Nile and fell asleep after the murder. What I saw was... I don't even know. I think it tries to be several things at once and fails at all of them.

Also saw Dirty Harry for the first time in ages. Long enough that I have forgotten that the "Do you feel lucky?" line is in it twice. I also didn't realize that movie is over 50 years old! And Clint Eastwood was already over 40!

It's very 70s, but I like that it runs all around San Francisco. Films looked better before everything was green screen, I think.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

We watched Renfield last night. It was very, very, very gory--- but also fairly funny. So it was OK, I suppose. If you don't mind goriness that is over the top into the ridiculous level, you'd probably enjoy this.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Saw a bit of Men in Black II on TV last night. I've seen the whole thing before. What I hadn't previously noticed is a brief homage to The Fugitive. In both films, Tommy Lee Jones says "That is a hell of a fish" upon seeing a photograph of a successful angler. (As others have noted here.)
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I saw Killers of the Flower Moon the other night (actually two nights, we split it up because it was so overwhelming). I'd read the book (a very hard read) so I knew what was happening. That it happened to real people rather than fictional people is all the more devastating. The hubris of those men. I just can't get over the hubris!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Zone of Interest

Fascinating and original take on horrendous events, would recommend.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

This week we watched 2 movies.
The first one was "Life" which on the list I chose it from was described as "thought provoking" and "thrilling". So we thought we were in for a *good* man meets alien movie. Nope. In no time at all it devolved into a horror movie. The sci fi elements were all well done, and I really wonder if the weightless scenes were filmed in a "vomit comet", they were so well done. But I really didn't like that horror aspect.

The other one was Ghostbusters Afterlife. It's a sequel to the older movies, rather than sequel to the reboot. It was well done and I quite liked it. :)