The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Alatar »

Pixar's "Soul" is absolutely beautiful and never falls into the obvious tropes. Every time you think you know where its going, it surprises you.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Everyone should watch "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. Particularly after the last two weeks.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote:Everyone should watch "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. Particularly after the last two weeks.
I did a couple months ago (August/Sept?? Something in there) It actually made me quit Facebook for almost everything, now I only check in once in a while for messages.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Finally got around to watching Wonder Woman 1984. It was probably the worst big-budget movie I've seen since Batman v Superman.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've been hearing that all right. How did Patty Jenkins get the first one so right and this one so wrong? Studio interference? Or did she just get lucky first time round?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

What did you not like about it, Yov? I really would like to know.

Edit: wow, just checked out the reviews on IMDB, and NOBODY gives it more than one or two stars! What a turkey!

One review says the 1970's TV show was less campy. Another says the first movie's Wonder Woman was equivalent to Christian Bale's Batman while this one is like the Adam West TV series! :roll:

Another reviewer said: Don't believe the negative reviews - it's worse!

Oh, and the Green Lantern movie can heave a sigh of relief - it's no longer the worst DC movie! :rofl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Sunsilver wrote:What did you not like about it, Yov? I really would like to know.
The number of things wrong with the movie is very large and I could go on and on about it, but I would say that it has two huge problems:
- the first WW worked mostly, imo, because Gadot and Pine had wonderful charisma and were very charming and likeable. Here, Gadot has lost almost all the charm she had and comes across flat and dull. I saw someone comment that sometimes it feels like she's reading her lines and I would agree.
- second, while many of these super hero movies often have some fairly silly or illogical plots, I don't think I've ever seen one as chock full of ridiculous nonsense as this one. The whole story is so, so, so stupid on so many levels.

Also, the movie is probably a good 40 minutes longer than it needs to be.

Also also, a minor point on a movie that is far too stupid to take seriously on any level but - Wonder Woman could arguably be said to commit rape in the movie. There is absolutely no reason for it to happen, and the movie seems completely unaware that it's happening. It's profoundly baffling.
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Wow, first time I've heard about the 'rape' scene, but your other points are all things mentioned in the reviews I read. Gadot's acting sucked, the plot had huge holes, and the movie was too long/boring.

NOBODY who reviewed it liked it.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I haven't heard anything about the movie except that people didn't like it (except for what's written here). But then, it's not really that shocking is it? I've seen plenty of amazing movies that had a completely flopped or lack-luster sequel.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yov, can you explain what the rape scene is (perhaps behind spoiler tags in the unlikely event that anyone cares about being spoiled for this film).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Explanation in the spoiler tags as to why many, including myself, say that Wonder Woman committed a form of rape in this movie.
Hidden text.
So the plot of this movie revolves around this magical stone someone finds that can grant wishes. Wonder Woman upon getting her hands on the stone wishes that Steve Trevor, her lover that died in the first movie, comes back to her. Her wish is granted but in a very weird way - Steve's soul gets inserted it into the body of a completely random man somewhere. So basically Steve is alive, but possessing another man's body. Steve, in this random man's possessed body, proceeds to find WW and explain to her what happened.

WW seems almost entirely unfazed by the extremely bizarre situation, and immediately starts acting her old boyfriend Steve is back and everything is normal. The idea that Steve is using another man's body is barely addressed at all. And then of course they have sex. But the man whose body Steve is possessing of course has not given consent to any of this and these two are essentially using this man's body for their sexual purposes. It's such an extremely weird set up that there isn't any true real life parallel, but really it is not far off from the idea of having sex with an unconscious person. Which, of course, is a form of rape.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks! How odd!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:help: That is definitely creepy, VERY creepy!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ugh.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I haven't seen the movie but this is my reply to yov's spoilierized post:
Hidden text.
What was done was much worse than physical rape. That's flat out necromancy and never ends well, whatever magical system you are talking about. Dragging a soul back to this reality is considered a big crime and very evil in just about all the tales I've read or watched that include it.

One book that included reincarnation in its belief structure started out with a paranormal investigator (sort of) trying to find out why a young girl was in a coma and it turned out that an evil magic practioner had summoned one of the girl's previous incarnations (who had been a famous magician). This ripped the soul out of the poor kid and left her in a coma while the evil magician tried to get the information he wanted out of the personality he'd summoned.

A TV series where the main character died, and was brought back magically by her friends: (I'm trying not to spoil this!) She suffered huge trauma from the event. Even though she was brought back into her own magically renewed body, her mind couldn't adjust to being back in that world. She felt like she'd been ripped out of heaven and had serious emotional issues for a long time afterwards.

And necromancy aside... in the Dresden universe overriding someone's free will magically is a death sentance. If the authorities catch you doing *anything* magical that makes someone do anything they'll likely execute you, even if it was for the victim's own good. Also, in that system- the damage done to the psyche of the person overridden is very hard to get over. It causes permanent PTSD so to speak, and it's really not good for the magical practioner, too. Tilts them that much more towards being Evil.

SOOOOOooooooo, Wonder Woman ripped the soul of one she "loved" from whatever he gone on to and stuffed it into a non-consenting adult, causing serious psychic damage to ex lover, the owner of the body she stole, and herself. She is now significantly more evil than before and the damage to all concerned is serious.

The sexual part of the incident is almost trivial in comparison.
Yeah. I don't want to see this movie.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Can't really disagree with that, Maria! And what's really crazy about it is that not only does the movie treat it like no big deal at all, like if it's barely even a weird thing and hardly worth commenting on, but there's also zero reason for it to be in the movie at all. You could seriously remove that whole scenario from the movie and it would have almost no impact on the story at all, so it leaves this giant question of, why the hell did they include that!
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:I haven't seen the movie but this is my reply to yov's spoilierized post:
Hidden text.
A TV series where the main character died, and was brought back magically by her friends: (I'm trying not to spoil this!) She suffered huge trauma from the event. Even though she was brought back into her own magically renewed body, her mind couldn't adjust to being back in that world. She felt like she'd been ripped out of heaven and had serious emotional issues for a long time afterwards.
:bawl: That was one emotionally gut-wrenching season all around.
was a 2020 planner.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

There are parts of that season I cry through, no matter how often I've seen it. Just as wrenching as Gandalf's fall with the Balrog. Yeah, I cry every time that happens, too. :oops:
elengil

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote:There are parts of that season I cry through, no matter how often I've seen it. Just as wrenching as Gandalf's fall with the Balrog. Yeah, I cry every time that happens, too. :oops:
Yeah. That's a good season to cry to if you want to be sad.
Hidden text.
Even Spike had the feels :bawl:
To your broader point, though...
Hidden text.
even in Supernatural with Castiel it's shown how much of a devastating effect the loss of the man whose body he took had on that man's family. I can't remember exactly what happened to his wife, I know his daughter really got seriously messed up, though. In that show bringing people 'back from hell' is just part and parcel of the show, it's almost routine it happens so often. But the decidedly negative aspect of stealing someone else's body so you can have it is absolutely acknowledged.
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So I watched the movie and yeah its pretty bad. That said, I didn't have Yov's reaction to the "possession" aspect of the story. Comparisons to that other series do not apply because there was no trauma here. Both the possessor and the possessed suffered no ill effects. As for the idea that this is rape? THat gets into very philosophical territory.