Bofur and Pigs and Frodo and Sam, etc.

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Should I add a poll to the thread asking whether people prefer British or American style bacon?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:We're supposed to be talking about pigs here, folks. Stop Osgiliating the thread! :)
Hey PtB, I see what you did there. Heh. Kewl. :)

I like Canadian bacon, btw. Just sayin'.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Maverick!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

But there is only ONE who is a danger to us all. :horse:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

anthriel wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:We're supposed to be talking about pigs here, folks. Stop Osgiliating the thread! :)
Hey PtB, I see what you did there. Heh. Kewl. :)

I like Canadian bacon, btw. Just sayin'.
Reminds me of Leslie Nielsen's response when he was asked if he ate the steak or the fish (the only two choices) in Airplane:
Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Osgiliath probably would have been better with more pigs.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

There's some good in these movies, Mr. Brown. And it's worth posting for! ;)
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

:horse:

I must say Bofur is one of my favorites of the dwarves, pigs or no pigs.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Talking of pigs, did anyone know whether the well-hung bacon made it into the market scene on the AUJ EE - or did he get the chop? ;)

(For those of you who've forgotten, meet Leroy )

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Just to osgiliate the osgiliation a bit more, let me say that one of the most satisfying periods of my (long-ago) life at TORC was my work on the campaign to get osgiliation (noun) and osgiliate (verb) into everybody's general vocabulary.

Still working on the "everybody" part of the equation, but glad to see the words thriving in our fair corner of the world.

[/osgiliation]

Back to pigs now!
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

To return to the not-topic ... ;)

I don't mind Faramir taking the hobbits to Osgiliath. It really is an amazing sequence, visually. :)

It's what happens in Osgiliath. :P

In the book, Frodo is the articulate, eloquent, mature one. Frodo is the hobbit who always keeps his cool when conversing with Men and Elves. Sam follows his lead, because Sam (correctly) thinks that Mr Frodo is wiser than he is.

I love Sam, btw, and don't regard him as a simpleton or a fool, and certainly not as inferior to Frodo as a character! Sam is in every way Frodo's moral and spiritual equal. But Frodo does have the greater perception. Frodo can negotiate, Sam is led by his heart. Which is not to denigrate Sam in any way, because Sam has many strengths ... which, of course, make him every bit as heroic as Frodo.

But. PJ doesn't get Frodo's heroism, which is why Frodo-fans are presented with such a hot mess of Frodo-characterisation in the films. And one prime example of this takes place in Osgiliath. What is Film Fro doing here, again? Is he OFFERING the Ring to the Nazgûl? Or is he just so overwhelmed by the Nazgûl that he is tempted to put the Ring on right there and then? I tried to put the most charitable spin on it but honestly this Frodo-fan was too busy frothing at the mouth to care ultimately which the hell it was. :nono:

Sam then emoting and Summing Everything Up with his United Nations speech did NOT improve my mood. :blackeye:

And that is why some - not all - of the Osgiliath sequence pains me. It's really more about Frodo than Faramir. :)

P.S. This is why I'm so very grateful for the BBC's 1981 radio dramatization of LotR. The relationship between Ian Holm's Frodo and Bill Nighy's Sam is perfect. :love: Nighy's Sam is the best ... Nighy's performance made me like Book Sam more. He's humble and earthy but no pushover.
Last edited by Pearly Di on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Whereas I, a total Sam fanboy, am totally okay with Sam stealing Frodo's spotlight. :halo:
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, Nighy IS Sam. Astin is ... something else.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

yovargas wrote:Whereas I, a total Sam fanboy, am totally okay with Sam stealing Frodo's spotlight. :halo:
:rage:

;)

OK, why? :)

I don't demand that everyone loves Frodo as much as I do. ;) But he is the central protagonist, after all. Yeah, I know, Sam's POV takes over after the trauma of Cirith Ungol. I don't have a problem with that: Tolkien knew what he was doing. But a part of me can't help saying that if people don't at least appreciate what Tolkien was doing with Frodo's characterisation, then they miss out on something important about LotR.

Hope that's not too confrontational, :oops: but I do feel quite strongly about this. ;)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I agree that Frodo's heroism was largely sidelined mostly in TTT but that speech was NOT one of those scenes. (even if you mock it as a UN speech) :)
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Smaug's voice wrote:I agree that Frodo's heroism was largely sidelined
:banana:

:happydance:

:sunny:

P.S. Love the artwork in your sig. (Saw it on FB. :P )
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Last edited by Smaug's voice on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Pearly Di wrote:OK, why? :)
Why don't I mind, you mean? Cuz, well, sorry to say to to a fangurl ;) but I never found Frodo all that interesting. I'm one of those that generally agree with the criticism that most of LOTR's characters are kinda flat and dull and I lump Frodo in with those characters.

Please don't kill me now. :blackeye:
-The Decemberists

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Ah. :D

I dislike Sam's speech for the same reason Passdagas does ... I think it's sentimental. And because I think it shows that PJ really does rate Sam higher than Frodo.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Last edited by Smaug's voice on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.