Puzzlewood

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Elentári

Puzzlewood

Post by Elentári »

[This might be better in Shibboleth, but since the link with JRRT is rather unsubstantiated, I'll leave it to your better judgement, V]

Magical Mystical Mossy-Green Muse for Middle-earth, Puzzlewood

Wonderful woodland phoography, anyway!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

*Like*
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hey, thanks for noticing, SV (do I sound like Eeyore? ) I thought I must have been wearing the Ring when I posted this... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oooh, very lovely! :love: Thanks for posting, Elen!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I could swear I posted in response to this when you first posted it, Elen! :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I missed this post—I'm so glad it was bumped again! I have never heard of Puzzlewood, but just about every image could be straight from one part or another of the book. Beautiful! :love:

There are some woods like that in Oregon as well, but none that are so intensely and directly "straight from Tolkien."

Thank you, Elen!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Very strange, V...would like to know what you thought you'd written!

Glad folks are enjoying the pictures and quotes. :)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:Very strange, V...would like to know what you thought you'd written!
Me too. ;) Beautiful pictures, though I don't know how much the places they depicted actually influenced Tolkien.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Beautiful pictures, though I don't know how much the places they depicted actually influenced Tolkien.
Quite.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Yeah. My understanding is that Tolkien's forests (Mirkwood in particular) were influenced more by the primeval forests of the German plain than any woods in England (Poland still retains some of this virgin wood). His enjoyment of William Morris' stories in that setting (particularly, House of the Wolfings) is well-documented. I see a little Old Forest in these, though, and that may or may not have been intentional. No documentary evidence to support it, though...

But these pictures (and the landscapes in Game of Thrones) do remind me that I still wish the LOTR and Hobbit films were shot in Europe. New Zealand just doesn't feel much like Europe, and that still bothers me.