I own a piece of the LOTR films!!!!!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

I own a piece of the LOTR films!!!!!

Post by sauronsfinger »

Today at 5 PM Juliens Auctions auctioned off 92 lots of items from the LOTR films. These are NOT duplicates of copies or props - they are the real deal from the movies.

I won the bid for an item!!!!!

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auction ... lot/45612/

As some here may know, I have a huge collection of LOTR memorabilia - both books and film - that will soon be going in by refinished basement. And this will be prominently displayed in some type of plexiglass box.

I love the baddies more than anything else and to get an actual Orc costume part is just over the moon for me. I could not be happier.

When I get it and have it displayed, I will try to post pics - but may need Elen's help with that.

Christmas came early for me!!!!!!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
sauronsfinger

Re: I own a piece of the LOTR films!!!!!

Post by sauronsfinger »

the pure excitement caused me to double post

sorry :)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Congrats!

So.... you gonna model them? ;)
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Jude wrote:Congrats!

So.... you gonna model them? ;)
nah - I passed up the Nazgûl thong. 8)

I will submit pics when I get it. And its not even a pair - just a single sandal. Of course I will come up with an appropriate story as to what happened to the other one. ;)
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The collector is local here. I checked out the prices...yeah, they'd better be actual props. :)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sting sold for more than most of the houses in my neighborhood. :shock:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

sf, I am happy for you!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:sf, I am happy for you!
Thanks V.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

So, display or put in a safe deposit box? :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

That is so cool!! Wow.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:Today at 5 PM Juliens Auctions auctioned off 92 lots of items from the LOTR films. These are NOT duplicates of copies or props - they are the real deal from the movies.

As some here may know, I have a huge collection of LOTR memorabilia - both books and film - that will soon be going in my refinished basement. And this will be prominently displayed in some type of plexiglass box.

I love the baddies more than anything else and to get an actual Orc costume part is just over the moon for me. I could not be happier.

When I get it and have it displayed, I will try to post pics - but may need Elen's help with that.

That is very cool, sf - and good to know the museum is nearing realization, too. :woohoo:

So pleased for you ,my friend... :hug:

(and happy to help with any picture loading necessary!)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

axordil wrote:So, display or put in a safe deposit box? :)
In the next few months I will be finishing my basement and will be creating a LOT space that is about 500 square feet. I will work out a suitable display for the orc sandal. I think I will check on how Imelda Marcos used to display her more desirable items to get some ideas.

While this is not up to the display of something like the ruby slippers from OZ, I want to do it right just the same.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:Today at 5 PM Juliens Auctions auctioned off 92 lots of items from the LOTR films. These are NOT duplicates of copies or props - they are the real deal from the movies.

As some here may know, I have a huge collection of LOTR memorabilia - both books and film - that will soon be going in my refinished basement. And this will be prominently displayed in some type of plexiglass box.

That is very cool, sf - and good to know the museum is nearing realization, too. :woohoo:

So pleased for you ,my friend... :hug:

(and happy to help with any picture loading necessary!)
Thank you Elen. It was either this sandal or the Gimli double headed axe. That ended up going for $150K plus the 20% buyers premium so it came in at $180K. ;)

I opened the bidding at 450 and only one or two other persons bid against me that I know of and I got it for 600 plus the premium and shipping costs.

Lots of stuff did not garner the minimum reserve including the Nazgûl outfit and a complete Lurtz.

I am leaving my job as of the first of the year and going into my second retirement so have a bit of phase out cash to pay with that made this and the basement refinishing all possible.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Good for you! I hope you enjoy having more free time. Although politics will miss you!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

An official LotR prop sounds like an excellent retirement gift to give yourself. :)
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Good for you! I hope you enjoy having more free time. Although politics will miss you!
That is very nice to say V and I thank you for it but I suspect not. One of the greatest lessons I ever learned came fifty years ago. I attended a Catholic and all the nuns thought that JFK was the fourth member of the trinity. For three years JFK was the most important man in the world and we never stopped hearing about him. Then 11/22/63 happened and I remember by the time I got home from school that day LBJ was president. It really hit me that if you can replace somebody like that - the rest of us are pretty much bit players.

The last year has been pretty tough as there were many serious differences of opinion so three years was enough.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Dave_LF wrote:An official LotR prop sounds like an excellent retirement gift to give yourself. :)
You got that right Dave. I tried to convince my wife the Nazgûl outfit or the Lurtz would be an even better gift - not to mention investment - but ..... you can see how that went.

I am very thankful for all I have and have been truly blessed. This sandal will be a very special thing in the collection.

btw- you still in my same state?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Sure am. And don't expect that to change any time soon, though I suppose you never know!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:

I am leaving my job as of the first of the year and going into my second retirement so have a bit of phase out cash to pay with that made this and the basement refinishing all possible.
Excellent news! you certainly deserve a long and happy retirement...

You must let us know when the museum is open to the paying public!

I don't suppose Mrs SF has thought of operating a B&B to cater for all the visitors? ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:

Excellent news! you certainly deserve a long and happy retirement...

You must let us know when the museum is open to the paying public!

I don't suppose Mrs SF has thought of operating a B&B to cater for all the visitors? ;)
Perhaps a middle earth theme? Sleeping accommodations like those right above Goblin Town?