All things concerning Azog and Bolg

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

All things concerning Azog and Bolg

Post by Smaug's voice »

Perhaps the most controversial thing about AUJ?

Right now, I am thinking about how they will develop Azog's arc.
I think PJ is trying to correlate Dol Guldur with him. I don't know all the facts and details coming from such interviews. But are there any positive guesses or confirmations on that link? How will that play out?
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I really wish his arc didn't exist at all.

But contrary to many, I love his design.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Thorin and Azog, a Sexual Encounter

Post by Dave_LF »

I am not brave enough to post this as its own thread, but please note the title of this post. The old TORC crowd will understand the reference. Here's what you need to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcMkf2iq1Ac&t=5m27s

Yes, this is just a dumb gag (the rest of the video has a couple funny moments, though a lot of it is juvenile). But it works awfully well, doesn't it? And of course, it isn't the first time. I think The Onion was on to something; they just had the wrong species! ;)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oh wow! I wish Gandalf's Mother, the author of the classic TORC thread "Aragorn and Lurtz: A Sexual encounter" (I would link to it, but those old TORC threads are now a formatting mess), could see that!
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

That thread began in the summer of 2002. That was more than a decade ago. I can hardly believe that.
Voronwë the Faithful

Incomprehensible.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Haha. I remember that thread! What a disturbing, hilarious and "deeply" insightful post.

Gandalf'sMother was certainly a...um... unique individual!

ETA: Here's the thread, formatting mess and all: http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?t=53975
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

I also appreciated the laser giants, laser eagles and laser Thranduil.

And for some reason, I found the "Gandarf" bit to be funny...It's not funny, but it is...
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Jackson and lazors. Yes.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Totally loved Bolg! And even more so because he thrashed Legolas! :twisted:

I am a bit worried though. Seeing the last we see of Legolas is him chasing Bolg on a horse, I strongly suspect Legolas and Bolg to become arch-enemies or something like that. Just hope he isn't the one to kill Bolg. Eeeep!
Passdagas the Brown

I liked Bolg as well, though I actually wish they'd stuck with Azog for those scenes. He's still my favorite! :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Admittedly, Azog looks better in this one. Though the designed/patterned scars are still awfully distracting.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote:Totally loved Bolg! And even more so because he thrashed Legolas! :twisted:

I am a bit worried though. Seeing the last we see of Legolas is him chasing Bolg on a horse, I strongly suspect Legolas and Bolg to become arch-enemies or something like that. Just hope he isn't the one to kill Bolg. Eeeep!
OMG...you just reminded me - wasn't there a reference to Legolas fighting a "serious" Orc at some point in the last 6 months? Was it during Jackson's live blog on the last day of shooting, or maybe just prior to that?

Odds on now that it'll be Bolg! :neutral:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Was the reference specifically to the BoFA? Because if not, it might have been a reference to what we have already seen, no?
Passdagas the Brown

I'm quite sure that was a reference to Legolas-Bolg in Laketown.

Though I am going to hazard a guess that Legolas or Tauriel gets to kill Bolg in the BOFA, while Thorin faces off against Azog.

Bolg was, essentially, brought into the story in order to create an antagonist for the main elves.

Azog will continue his quest for vengeance against the line of Durin in TABA.
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bolg is going to be killed by Beorn, just as in the book. Clearly, from Jackson's comments Beorn is going to have a role in the next film. What else could it be?
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bolg is going to be killed by Beorn, just as in the book. Clearly, from Jackson's comments Beorn is going to have a role in the next film. What else could it be?
I disagree. I think Beorn's role will simply be to turn the tide in general. He'll kill lots and lots of orcs, and perhaps some lieutenants that are highlighted in TABA, but I believe Bolg belongs to Legolas and/or Tauriel. Legolas didn't hop on that convenient white horse for nothing!

I could be wrong, but that rarely happens. Except about DOS... ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

I certainly agree that he seems to be setting up Bolg as the antagonist of the Elves. But who knows what will actually happen in TaBA? I certainly don't.

Maybe Azog will be killed by Saruman at the Battle of Dol Guldur. I think anything is pssible.
Passdagas the Brown

That's a valid point. After the insanity of DOS, we should probably assume that we all have no idea how TABA will turn out. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

No, I remember now...it was Orlando's last scene, I believe, which was linked to the Bo5A.

http://pagetopremiere.com/2013/06/orlan ... -isengard/
“A day after saying goodbye to Gandalf and Tauriel, it was time to farewell Legolas. What a great day it was, with Orlando battling a serious Orc for all 12 hours of shooting – part of the Battle of the 5 Armies for the third Hobbit movie."
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes