The AUJ Extended Edition Anticipation Thread (SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well now...I should be the proud owner of the AUJ EE sometime tomorrow (if they don't try to deliver while I am at work or on the school run!)

But get this...the item which was ordered from Amazon US by an American for me is being sent from.....GERMANY!! I guess they figured it was nearer or something! ;)

So we still won't know if the US product is Region-free or not. Sorry, Al!

Oh, and naturally I also got stung for customs and handling charges by HM Revenue & Customs... :roll:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I have the afternoon off and am taking advantage by watching the director's commentary. It's interesting that Azinublizar was originally intended for Beorn's house. I wonder if that's where the redux will take place?

Also, Jackson says he prefers CG orcs since they can have non-human proportions and will be using them more as time goes on (in fact, he wishes the technology had been there during LotR).

They confirm that they have changed how Gandalf received the map and key.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I actually agree with him about CG orcs, and never understood what LOTR film fans loved so much about the orcs in those films (IMO, they mostly looked like guys in Halloween masks...). It's just that when you use thousands of CG goblins, on A CG background, and have them get dispatched as if they were pin balls, they look really fake.

IMO, the best orcs we have seen across all four films were in Azanulbizar. And many of them were CG. But there was restraint at play in those scenes, and the orcs felt substantial. They had weight, and they killed and died in a believable way.

And though Azog may have been a rush job, and would have benefited from an extra year of CG development, I much prefer his look to the lead orcs in LOTR: Lurtz and all the rest of the prosthetic muscle men.

ETA: I recently watched something online (cannot remember where) that featured PJ talking about LOTR (I believe it was released earlier this spring). In it, PJ also talks about how he wanted to do the Nazgûl in CG for LOTR, but it was too expensive. His rationale was that only CG could capture the sort of creepy movements he wanted to give them. I agree. The black riders were the least convincing things about those films, IMO, and could have benefited from at least some CG augmentation.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:ETA: I recently watched something online (cannot remember where) that featured PJ talking about LOTR (I believe it was released earlier this spring). In it, PJ also talks about how he wanted to do the Nazgûl in CG for LOTR, but it was too expensive. His rationale was that only CG could capture the sort of creepy movements he wanted to give them. I agree. The black riders were the least convincing things about those films, IMO, and could have benefited from at least some CG augmentation.
That's true. You can say a lot of bad things about the Bakshi film, but his animated Nazgûl certainly had a scary way of moving; going from decrepit old men one minute to hyperlimber attackers the next.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Film 2 begins with an explanation for why Azog is after Thorin, and it is related to Azinulbizar.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Kili is the group's archer because "he has a certain affinity with other archers."
Passdagas the Brown

Dave_LF wrote:Film 2 begins with an explanation for why Azog is after Thorin, and it is related to Azinulbizar.
Er, I thought we already had that explanation...You know, the "that little sh!t cut my arm off!" motivation...

My guess is that Azog will seize Thrain, who Balin tells us in AUJ was either "captured or killed." He will torture him, and demand that Thror hand over his ring of power (and so it will be clear that Azog is already working for Sauron). Thror, under pressure, will tell him that Thorin has it. He will also tell Azog that Thorin will try to take back Erebor. This is probably what is behind Gandalf's "who did you tell?" line in AUJ. Also, at the end of AUJ Azog tells Thorin, in orc-speech, that his father "smelled of fear," not his grandfather. So this will certainly come up.

I would have much preferred that DoS start with an explanation of why the other dwarves (Dain, etc) refused to help regain Erebor, but maybe that's something we'll get in TABA as a way of setting up Dain's arrival...

I mean, I really don't care for ANOTHER reason why Azog, who should be dead, is going after Thorin...Wasted screentime, IMO.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Dave_LF wrote:Kili is the group's archer because "he has a certain affinity with other archers."
Say no more, say no more... love abounds in Middle-earth.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote: My guess is that Azog will seize Thrain, who Balin tells us in AUJ was either "captured or killed." He will torture him, and demand that Thror hand over his ring of power (and so it will be clear that Azog is already working for Sauron). Thror, under pressure, will tell him that Thorin has it. He will also tell Azog that Thorin will try to take back Erebor. This is probably what is behind Gandalf's "who did you tell?" line in AUJ. Also, at the end of AUJ Azog tells Thorin, in orc-speech, that his father "smelled of fear," not his grandfather. So this will certainly come up.
Is it confirmed or hinted in the book that there will be another explanation somewhere as to why the Azog-Thorin chase?
I really hope not. The only two things I disliked about AUJ were the White Council and Azog. The latter being quite signifcant. Imo, they should have replaced Azog with Bolg, really.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I actually agree with him about CG orcs, and never understood what LOTR film fans loved so much about the orcs in those films (IMO, they mostly looked like guys in Halloween masks...). It's just that when you use thousands of CG goblins, on A CG background, and have them get dispatched as if they were pin balls, they look really fake.
Well I loved the orc designs from LotR. To me, they didn't really looked fake. Most of them. Gothmog did look fake but only in close ups.

As for Lurtz, I don't know why but he became more and more "human" as the film progressed.
This shot when he is just born: http://www.darksidecostumes.org/images/ ... 0lurtz.JPG

This looks to me, very realistic and possibly the scariest orc-look from LotR.
But by the end of FotR he had changed to this: http://www.erikbrush.com/PDVD_132Lurtz.jpg
In which he looks more fake (but still more or less real, to me :) )

I agree, the best orcs in AUJ were at Azanulbizar, but all of the Gundabad orcs failed to impressed me. Azog aside, Yazneg and Fimbul too.
I really liked the misty mountain orcs. Quite near to what I had imagined and I am a fan of the Goblin King, like it or not!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:Film 2 begins with an explanation for why Azog is after Thorin, and it is related to Azinulbizar.
Er, I thought we already had that explanation...You know, the "that little sh!t cut my arm off!" motivation...

My guess is that Azog will seize Thrain, who Balin tells us in AUJ was either "captured or killed." He will torture him, and demand that Thror hand over his ring of power (and so it will be clear that Azog is already working for Sauron). Thror, under pressure, will tell him that Thorin has it. He will also tell Azog that Thorin will try to take back Erebor. This is probably what is behind Gandalf's "who did you tell?" line in AUJ. Also, at the end of AUJ Azog tells Thorin, in orc-speech, that his father "smelled of fear," not his grandfather. So this will certainly come up.

I would have much preferred that DoS start with an explanation of why the other dwarves (Dain, etc) refused to help regain Erebor, but maybe that's something we'll get in TABA as a way of setting up Dain's arrival...

I mean, I really don't care for ANOTHER reason why Azog, who should be dead, is going after Thorin...Wasted screentime, IMO.
Have you forgotten about that "Orc woman" interview by Manu in New Ideas magazine ? That's got to be the motivation! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There was nothing in the commentary that even hinted that anything like that was the case, even when looking for it having the advantage of having heard about that gossip rag story.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

But I thought we needed more feminine energy! :roll:
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I didn't really hear anything else interesting in the commentary after my last post, though my attention was starting to wane toward the end. Lots of talk about how they needed to heighten the drama and danger in their story relative to the book--I think I could almost hear PtB's teeth grinding in the background.

It has to be said, though, that Ms. Boyens has a pretty sexy voice. Even if she occasionally uses it to say horrible things. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I have my AUJ EE gift set in my hands!!!! :woohoo: Image

My deepest gratitude to sf for being such a wonderful friend and arranging it for me! :foryou:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Yay!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Yes, heighten the drama and danger. Such as having the dwarves lose all their provisions in the river, and be on the brink of starvation, before being compelled to encounter the trolls. Or have the company run blindly through deep, dark goblin tunnels while being pursued by an unseen horde behind them. Or...

Wait. Those are scenes from the book...

I really do think that PB and J have created this mythology that the Hobbit book is a stroll in the park in order to justify their inane attempts at injecting more danger into the story. The warg chase, and Goblintown, did more to lessen the sense of danger than anything else!

Sounds like a fail to me.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

The one that got my own teeth grinding was toward the end where Jackson said being stuck in burning trees with wargs and goblins at the bottom is pretty dangerous, but he's always looking for ways to take it up another notch, so he decided to put them at the edge of a cliff too.
Voronwë the Faithful

On the other hand, I thought the point about Gandalf not being able to come to Thorin's aid because he was supporting Dori and Ori was fairly clever.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Dave_LF wrote:The
one that got my own teeth grinding was toward the end where Jackson
said being stuck in burning trees with wargs and goblins at the bottom
is pretty dangerous, but he's always looking for ways to take it up
another notch, so he decided to put them at the edge of a cliff
too.
I felt that one scene did add up to the drama. Putting them near a cliff rather than at the centre of the forest.
Others ... not that much. Though I am perhaps the only one who enjoyed the Warg chase.

Edit: I agree Voronwë_the_Faithful, a very clever way to keep G busy there.