The Hobbit: AUJ box office

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I've seen it twice and plan to go a third time this weekend. Might go one or two more times if it hits the $2 theaters. But I only saw each LotR movie 2-3 times in theaters too.
Last edited by kzer_za on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:Well...I've actually seen AUJ more times than I saw any of the original trilogy in theatres - but that's down to my having a much younger family 11 years ago (& being heavily pregnant when TTT was released!)

Plus, with AUJ being available in so many different formats, punters are curious to see the difference. I still plan to try and see AUJ in 2D before the end of its run.

Are you planning to see it at 48fps, sf? I'm curious to hear what your experience of the higher frame rate will be!
Its interesting how different people are at different times in their lives and that impacts things like movies.

I did see it at the IMAX in 3D and I thought that was at the 48 rate.

I thought the movement crowd scenes looked less blurry than at the lower rate.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:I did see it at the IMAX in 3D and I thought that was at the 48 rate.

I thought the movement crowd scenes looked less blurry than at the lower rate.
I had a quick look at the HF IMAX website and it didn't indicate that their projectors were showing in anything other than 24 fps, though I may have missed it! For most people the difference should have been quite startling in HFR, not just a lessening of the blurring - did you get a sense of being almost on set with the characters? And the depth of field being incredibly clear right to the furthest point?

ETA: According this list compiled by TORN, your theatre is not showing AUJ at HFR...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Well that makes my day..... or it did until I discovered a leak in my living room right under a bathroom that was redone last year.

The good news just doesn't stop.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh dear! :headpat:

Let's hope the New Year improves for you from tomorrow...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wonder why it is so exceedingly strong in Australia?

In any event, $1 billion globally certainly seems to be back on the table.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

AUJ passes $800m worldwide...

As of January 6, 2013 An Unexpected Journey has grossed $263,820,000 in the United States and Canada and $561,820,000 elsewhere, bringing to a worldwide total of $824,820,000. It is thus far the fifth highest-grossing film of 2012, and the 34th highest-grossing film of all time.

Apparently Middle earth has beaten POTC to become the 5th biggest film franchise ever...
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Any predictions what will be the final take?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I haven't seen any official predictions as yet, but fan predictions on TORn seem to be ranging between $1.1-1.3bn...

It could have as much as another 300 million in it WW. That would push it past the billion mark and a bit higher than TDKR. Either way, by the end of AUJ's run it will have made so much that DOS and TABA will be almost pure profit for WB!
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

These days anything north of the magic billion figure makes it a certified blockbuster. So its great to hear that it should hit that or more.

Perhaps the studio will give Jackson ten or twenty million more to spend on the climatic Battle of the Five Armies beyond his current budget? I really want to see the dark clouds moving in over the heads of the wolves only to discover that the clouds are actually vampire bats.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh, you'll get your bats alright!

Richard Armitage Teases "The Battle Of Five Armies" In THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN

Richard Armitage had this to say about the battle sequence. "It's been put aside until next year, thankfully," he joked. "It's this big thing looming over us. I'm predicting about ten weeks for the shoot because it's an extensive battle and each character is going to have their 'hero' moment on the battlefield. It's a manic fight in the air - the eagles are fighting bats - and on the ground, and I can't wait to see what Pete does with that." That's right, the battle will see men, elves, dwarves, orcs and eagles all facing off for the future of Middle-Earth! It falls to second unit director Andy Serkis to handle the action, but he isn't letting the pressure get to him. "It's going to be intense beyond belief. It's going to be extraordinary - that's all I can say."
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

oooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Elen... :bow:
Voronwë the Faithful

AUJ earned $17,545,386 this past weekend. While it dropped to third behind Texas Chainsaw 3D and Django Unchained, this was a higher than expected total. In fact, it exceeded the fourth weekend of each of the LOTR films. The domestic total is now $263,834,893, and worldwide is $824,834,893. It should exceed $300 million and $1 billion, respectively.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

My guess on the BO is that initially weak reviews dampened those first two weeks but strong word of mouth (from people who aren't me ;)) has kept it going stronger than it initially looked.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

That sounds about right.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Elentári wrote:Oh, you'll get your bats alright!
Richard Armitage Teases "The Battle Of Five Armies" In THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN:
Richard Armitage had this to say about the battle sequence. "It's been put aside until next year, thankfully," he joked. "It's this big thing looming over us. I'm predicting about ten weeks for the shoot because it's an extensive battle and each character is going to have their 'hero' moment on the battlefield. It's a manic fight in the air - the eagles are fighting bats - and on the ground, and I can't wait to see what Pete does with that." That's right, the battle will see men, elves, dwarves, orcs and eagles all facing off for the future of Middle-Earth! It falls to second unit director Andy Serkis to handle the action, but he isn't letting the pressure get to him. "It's going to be intense beyond belief. It's going to be extraordinary - that's all I can say."
That's amusing, because in The Annotated Hobbit, Douglas Anderson complains specifically about the Rankin/Bass movie identifying the Eagles as one of the five armies.
Voronwë the Faithful

I haven't seen any indication that this production plans to identify the eagles as one of the five armies. That's just the journalist saying it, isn't it?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Although it's been knocked off the #1 spot in the US by "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", The Hobbit tops UK box office for fourth consecutive weekend
Naomi Watts' critically-acclaimed drama The Impossible has failed to break The Hobbit's hold on the UK box office as Peter Jackson's fantasy epic held on to the number one spot for a fourth consecutive weekend.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which stars Sir Ian McKellen and Martin Freeman, raked in a further US$6.5 million over the weekend, bringing its UK gross total to US$70.5 million since its release date last year.

Tsunami movie The Impossible, which recently won Watts a coveted Golden Globe nomination, failed to overtake The Lord of the Rings prequel, scoring second place with US$6.4 million in its opening weekend.

Ang Lee's acclaimed Life Of Pi was knocked into third place with takings of US$5.4 million, while Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut Quartet, starring Dame Maggie Smith and Billy Connolly, settled for fourth after earning US$3.7 million in its opening weekend.

The top five is rounded out by Tom Cruise's latest blockbuster Jack Reacher, which took US$2.7 million.
Les Mis opens in the UK today so The Hobbit's reign wlll probably be over by next weekend...

Further figures and write-up here
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The Hobbit: AUJ passes FotR at the Box Office with worldwide total of $886,124,000!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit.htm

[FotR total BO: $871,530,324]

AUJ is now 4th for 2012 and 27th on the all time list worldwide, with it yet to open in China (Feb 21.)
~Diana Cortes