Audible LOTR

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
eborr

Audible LOTR

Post by eborr »

Sorry if this has been commented on elsewhere, I recently signed up to the Amazon audio book service audible and guess what, my first selections is the unabridged LOTR read by Rob Inglis.

I think its really wonderful, he does have a habit of making the hobbits do the Aussie thing with the HRT(eg raising the pitch of the speech at the end of a sentance) which is a little irritating, but other than that he does avery good job.

My experience of LOTR rings has been most enhanced by Mr Inglis singing of the various songs and verse, in most cases when I read the books I skip these sections, finding them undifying, yet when I "hear" them, it works so much better, especially with Tom Bom whose character is even more quixotic when you can appreaciate the meter which is applied to the verse, which Mr Inglis then is able to carry through to Toms dialogue.

I really would recommend this piece of work, the text of course is cannon, but the way it is presented is to my mind, offers another insight into the book.

Next trick perhaps is to load it on to the Adroid phone talk a walk to the bird and baby, buy a pint close my eyes and imagine Tolkien reading to the other Inklings
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I like Rob Inglis as a reader, too. He's not my favorite reader, but his performance of LOTR is what got me started on audiobooks years ago. :)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: Audible LOTR

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

eborr wrote:...when I read the books I skip these sections, finding them undifying, yet when I "hear" them, it works so much better...
That's why I recommend reading the poems/songs aloud. :)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

My husband is re-listening to "The Hobbit" right now and tried to get me interested in it again- but unfortunately when he tried to get me to join in, they were about 2 minutes from the "tra la la lally" song. :shock: I hit pause quickly and told him I really just can't listen to The Hobbit this year. I sincerely want it to be NOT fresh in my mind when I see the movie this year.

I don't like the songs or poems either in written or spoken format.
I just don't have a poetry appreciation gene.

Audio books are inferior to written in this one area. I can easily skim over anything I don't want to read in book format. With audible books, I'm stuck at the reader's pace. Normally that's OK, but with songs and poems.... :bang: