Tolkien's Physical Universe

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Athrabeth

Tolkien's Physical Universe

Post by Athrabeth »

In the Sil thread, during our recent discussion about Ulmo, I posted this diagram, drawn by Tolkien, that depicts his concept of Eä, not only before the "bending of the world", but also before the destruction of the great lamps of the Valar. It's found in the HoMe series, Volume Four, "The Shaping of Middle-earth", and specifically in the chapter entitled "The Ambarkanta" or "Shape of the World".

In response, Alatar wrote:
I really, really dislike the Flat Earth and other "Shaping of the World" concepts. I know it's intended to be a Mythology, but it feels incredibly contrived to me. I love the fact that its glossed over in the Silmarillion, because it doesn't take me out of the story the way this does. I can accept the vagueness of the Sun and Moon being dragged beneath the Earth. I can accept the bending of the world so that the straight road leads out of Arda.

I just can't accept images like the one Ath posted.
This really got me thinking about my own reaction when I first read the Ambarkanta, and first saw that specific drawing. For me, it pulled me INTO the story like never before, because it answered so many questions that had been swirling about in my mind for a very long time. I found (and still find) the structure of Tolkien’s cosmos to demonstrate an elegance of balance and harmony that is deeply compelling. The world in the midst of the globed Walls of this cosmos was perfectly symmetrical when viewed from above, below, and from what would have been the “flat-earth” equivalents of North and South. The original land of Middle-earth, was exactly centred within the globe:
Tolkien wrote:It was highest in the middle, and fell away on either side into vast valleys, but rose again in the East and West and again fell away to the chasm at its edges. And the two valleys were filled with the primeval water, and the shores of these ancient seas were in the West the western highlands and the edge of the great land, and in the East the eastern highlands and the edge of the great land upon the other side. But at the North and South it did not fall away, and one could go by land from the uttermost South and the chasm of Ilmen to the uttermost North and the chasm of Ilmen. The ancient seas lay therefore in troughs, and their waters spilled not to the East or to the West; but they had no shores either at the North or at the South, and they spilled into the chasm, and their waterfalls became ice and bridges of ice because of the cold; so that the chasm of Ilmen was here closed and bridged, and the ice reached out into Vaiya, and even unto the Walls of the World.
Looking at the diagram, I am reminded of the importance Tolkien seems to place on the concepts of “height” and “centrality”. The Valar’s first abiding place within Arda, the island of Almaren, was set in the very center of a lake that was created at the very center of Middle-earth, which by my reckoning, would most likely make it stand within the highest level of the great primeval continent. I think this idea is repeated in many places in Tolkien’s writings, from the great mound of Cerin Amroth, the “heart” of Lothlórien (whose very structure seems to mirror, in many ways, the structure of the greater cosmos that Tolkien describes), to Meneltarma, the blessed mountain at the center of the Númenor.

Of course, this symmetry was short-lived, but Arda remained “flat”, held within the center of successive layers of substances known as Vista (the air of clouds and winds, and of the mortal lands), Ilmen (the air of the luminaries –Sun, Moon, and stars – and of the immortal lands) and Vaiya (the great “Enfolding Ocean” that was akin to both air and water and yet neither air nor water). Even after the world is made round, it is still centered within the globe and still engulfed by Vista, Ilmen and Vaiya, as seen in this extremely sketchy diagram of Tolkien’s (which also shows “The Straight Path” that leads to Aman, which has been taken out of the physical realm of Arda):

Thinking back to that first delighted reaction of mine to the cosmology revealed in the Ambarkanta, I suppose that it was based on the fact that I never really looked upon Middle-earth as this world, as my world, somehow veiled by the mists of Time and Myth. From my very first reading of The Lord of the Rings, I considered the physical world that Tolkien had revealed to me as something deeply familiar and yet wholly other than what I knew to be the earth and sky and heavens. I’ve always been rather fascinated when reading people’s thoughts on where in the modern world Rohan or Gondor or The Shire would be located, or what Age the present could be counted as. It never occurred to me to consider these things, even, as I think others most often consider them - as interesting forays into the realm of “what if”.

I’m quite sure that it was the greater myth that was wound so deftly within the tale of LOTR that caused me to think of Middle-earth as part of a cosmos that could not be explained by the physical laws of my world. Although not all of the pieces were there for me to fit together before the Sil was published (far from it, actually), there were enough glimpses of an unbroken connection between a world that physically, was absolutely familiar, to one that could only be viewed as mythologically symbolic, to make me feel that the bright star Sam saw twinkling in the heavens over Mordor was not the same as a bright star that I would look up and see. Somehow, I knew that although I well understood the hope it kindled in his heart, Sam’s understanding of where that star was placed and what that star was made of within the construct of his universe was fundamentally unlike my understanding of where that star would be placed and what it would be made of within the construct of my universe. The passage that really stood out for me, especially after reading the Appendices, and more so after reading the Sil, is when Sam and Frodo are speaking of “tales” on the stairs of Cirith Ungol:
”Beren now, he never thought he was going to get that Silmaril from the Iron Crown in Thangorodrim, and yet he did, and that was a worse place and a blacker danger than ours. But that’s a long tale, of course, and goes on past happiness and into grief and beyond it – and the Silmaril went on and came to Eärendil. Any why, sir, I never thought of that before! We’ve got – you’ve got some of the light of it in that star-glass that the Lady
gave you! Why, to think of it, we’re in the same tale still! It’s still going on.”
That the star I know as Venus, the second planet orbiting the Sun, would be known during the Third Age of Middle-earth as Eärendil The Mariner, sailing the heavens in a celestial ship with a Silmaril on his brow, the father and grandfather of characters walking upon the earth some six thousand years later………well, the thought of reconciling THAT cosmos with what I knew of my own, was something that definitely took me out of the story. And yet, I still could not really visualize such a cosmos; I couldn’t fully “reconstruct” it in my mind, for all the power and beauty of the words that described its formation and its workings in the Sil. It was, finally, the precision of its description in the Ambarkanta, accompanied by a series of diagrams, that allowed me to understand the cosmological structure of this universe that I “knew” so well for so long.

And that first diagram, in the elegance of its simplicity and symmetry, in the power of its symbolism of a cosmos that perfectly fits the definition of “the universe regarded as an orderly, harmonious whole, distinct from chaos”, continues to make the tale, for me, far more believable and real because it “fits” so beautifully within the construct, and springs so naturally from that construct's very conception.

So......how do others feel about this basic structure of Tolkien’s “physical universe”? Does the concept of a “flat earth” at the center of an entire globed cosmos intrude on the story, as Alatar said it does for him? Would it have made a difference if Tolkien had started out with a similar “globed universe” with a spherical world at its center? Have you considered the similarities and differences between our physical world/universe and the one you discovered in LOTR and/or the Sil, and if so, do such concepts affect your "mindset" as you read either of these tales?

<edited to insert a word and remove a word.......balance achieved> :)
Last edited by Athrabeth on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Wonderful thread, Ath! I can't comment from knowledge of HoME, and have only seen Tolkien's earlier drawings in which Middle Earth has something of the shape of a ship, as it does a bit here, too, with prow and stern to East and West.

Like you, I never quite thought of the history of ME as our pre-history, though emerging from ME (from reading it) does throw me wholly into my own world as few works of literature can.

The thing I wanted to comment on, seeing this map for the first time, is how similar it is to one medieval conjecture that the roundness of the horizon was caused by our sitting inside a globe, rather than on top of one. (I guess this is kind of like 'balloon theories' of our own universe ... we are inside an expanding balloon with everything at the outskirts moving away from the center at astounding rates of speed ... but without the symmetry)

The idea that things on 'earth' are therefore mirror images of things in 'heaven' has held attraction for people at different times ... again, only a partly-apt analogy, but it is somewhat like Plato's conception of the world of forms, which are real, casting physical shadows that we experience as the world of things.

Having said all that ... I am not personally fond of symmetry ... it does not fit with my worldview ... so I've always felt a bit uncomfortable with Tolkien's conception for this reason. Harmony, yes, but from confluence rather than from symmetry.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Ath :love: What a lovely post!

Lots to consider.

Let's see. Very briefly, I've always sort of believed that Tolkien's world was real ... and even though I know he said it was meant to be our own world 6,000 years ago ... my own sense is that it's more like a parallel universe.

You know .... just out of sight around the next corner.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:love: :horse: :love:

So much to think about. I'll be back ... eventually. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Jnyusa wrote:Having said all that ... I am not personally fond of symmetry ... it does not fit with my worldview ... so I've always felt a bit uncomfortable with Tolkien's conception for this reason. Harmony, yes, but from confluence rather than from symmetry.
Though I tend to agree with you, Jn, that such symmetry does not fit with my worldview, it works well for me in this context. I feel that it emphasizes the high, mythic quality of these tales (specifically the first age and earlier takes, as opposed to LOTR). It gives a sense of a perfect universe that is highly desirable but beyond our reach. Tolkien's proclivity for making hyperbolic pronouncements in these tales has the same effect.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Yes, I understand the appeal this has. For me it gives a more medieval feel to the work - which is also unique and nice and defensible - rather than a high mythic feel. Although the sketches I've seen of Mithgard ... Midgard? ... also had that symmetry to them.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Tolkien's Physical Universe

Athrabeth wrote:Image
I wanted to fill in so details on this difficult to read diagram. The page next to it in the "Maps to the Shaping of Middle-earth" reads as follows:
Diagram III
On this diagram the name Wilwa was truck out and replaced by Vista (see note 1 to the text of the Ambarkanta) Names other than those in capitals are: The Straight Path (twice), Valinor, Eressëa, Old Lands, New Lands. The title reads: 'The World after the Cataclysm and the ruin of the Númenoreans'.
I have always loved the concept of the existence of the "The Straight Path". It is, I think, one of the integral concepts in all of Tolkien's work. The longing for the Straight Path has some of the qualities, I believe of Holy Grail - the desire for something beyond reach. But there is more to it, of course. I hope to put my finger on it at some point, but not today.

Turning back to the idea of symmetry. The loss of the original symmetrical structure of the world goes back much further then the loss of the the Straight Path in "the Cataclysm and the ruin of the Númenoreans." As Tolkien writes in the Ambarkanta:
But the symmetry of the ancient Earth was changed and broken in the first Battle of the Gods, when Valinor went out against Utumno, which was Melko's stronghold, and Melko was chained. Then the sea of Helkar (which was the Northern lamp) became an inland sea or great lake, but the sea of Ringil (which was the souther lamp) became a great sea flowing north-eastward and joining by straits both the Western and Estern Seas.

And the Earth was again broken in the second battle when Melko was again overtrown, and it has changed ever in the wearing and passing of many ages. But the greatest change took place, when the First Design was destroyed, and the Earth was rounded, and severed from Valinor. This befell in the days of the assault of the Númenoreans upon the land of the Gods, as is told in the Histories. And since that time the world has forgetten the things that were before, and the names and the memory of the lands and waters of old has perished.
It seems to me that one of Tolkien prime purposes in creating his mythology is to explain why the world is so imperfect, despite the perfection of its creator. A futile task, perhaps, but to me at least the effort is one of great power and profundity.

:love:
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Athrabeth wrote:So......how do others feel about this basic structure of Tolkien’s “physical universe”? Does the concept of a “flat earth” at the center of an entire globed cosmos intrude on the story, as Alatar said it does for him? Would it have made a difference if Tolkien had started out with a similar “globed universe” with a spherical world at its center?
Funny you should ask....

I was visiting a friend who is a fellow fan of Tolkien (Silmarillion more than LotR) about a month or so ago, and I basically sprung this question on him :twisted:

I had been reading Letters, and considering the implications of Tolkien's later 'round world from the beginning' ideas. He was clearly dissatisfied with his 'flat-world' concept. But when he submitted two versions to a friend/reader (I think her name was Naomi, but it may have been Katherine...), she said that no, the flat-world idea was essential for myth.

I wanted to see what my friend's reaction would be (he has not read HoME or Letters). I started to tell him about Tolkien's idea to re-write the story (to make it round-world), and he said that no, that would not work, because "The Silmarillion is about the loss of the sacred" - first the Valar remove to Aman, then the Noldor are exiled in Middle Earth (the Hiding of Valinor), and finally it is removed from the Circles of the World. (And Lamps to Trees to Sun/Moon) To be honest, I was startled by his reaction (probably because he is a Russian atheist).

While you can write myths about a round world, you can't write the Silmarillion about one. Too much of what Tolkien had to say is bound up in the form his world took. The solution is not to chuck the structure, but to discuss it in vague, remote terms (I think). The diagrams are helpful, but shouldn't be part of the narrative.

Like Voronwë, the idea of the 'Straight Path' has always fascinated me (and my Russian friend ;)). An unattainable paradise, reached only by elves... And yet just the name 'Straight Path' suggests so much, like the straight and narrow way, but also a simple path that can be walked, and the air becoming more rare, and flying versus sailing.... there is a lot there! But perhaps most poignant is that it is an echo or reminder of how the world used to be, before the Fall (of the Numenoreans, anyway). Now that I think about it, it was the Fall of the Noldor that precipitated the Hiding of Valinor...

Yes, there is a lot of meaning there!

I do see why it takes Alatar out of the story, and why Sam's star would take Ath out of LotR. Blending myth and reality is difficult, and the younger-Tolkien was more inclined to be creative. It was only his older self who wished to truly integrate his myth with the primary world. . . but by then it was too late. I'm rather glad, actually - I like Eärendil the star, and the Straight Path, and Primordial Light (and the very concept of the Two Trees).
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Mith wrote:I do see why it takes Alatar out of the story, and why Sam's star would take Ath out of LotR. Blending myth and reality is difficult, and the younger-Tolkien was more inclined to be creative. It was only his older self who wished to truly integrate his myth with the primary world. . . but by then it was too late. I'm rather glad, actually - I like Eärendil the star, and the Straight Path, and Primordial Light (and the very concept of the Two Trees).
Hmmmm. I think that perhaps you misunderstood me, Mith. Sam's star (or Eärendil, as I believe it is meant to be), viewed with the fundamental understanding I have about this physical universe, is what takes me out of the story. By understanding and accepting the physical universe that Tolkien creates, the foundations of which are formed by powerful symbolic elements of myth and not "physics", then I can totally suspend my disbelief and embrace Sam's belief in the unbroken connection between the world in the Third Age and Eärendil's world. This pulls me into the story.

I must confess that when I first read "Myths Transformed" in "Morgoth's Ring", it saddened me. The thought of losing the image of Varda taking the liquid light of the Two Trees and kindling the great stars of heaven, of losing the image of Fingolfin striding onto the lands of Middle-earth at the first rising of the Moon, of losing the image of the first rising of the Sun in the West drawing the hearts of Men towards the shores of the Great Sea.......well, what a loss that would have been.

I'll be back to respond to some of your other thoughts later. :)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I read LotR many times before reading anything else Tolkien wrote, and I always thought of Middle-earth as our own world in a mythical past. So much of it is obviously our world, closely observed by a man who loved every detail of nature. I accepted the change in geography—and even the notion that this had happened more than once. But I was still startled when I realized what Tolkien meant by "the bent world." It took me a long time to get comfortable with that idea.

In fact, I remember feeling a sense of loss, as if the link between Middle-earth and Earth had weakened and Middle-earth was receding from me.

I guess knowing that the shape of the lands had changed bothered me less because, of course, those shapes do change, though over a vastly longer time scale than Tolkien's. But a flat Middle-earth—that cannot even exist in the universe I understand. So I have had to learn to surrender to Tolkien and let him make it work, as well as to turn off the fretting, geeky little part of my brain that wants everything to fit with what I understand to be true about the world.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

See even when I read the Silmarillion, the initial concept was of a round world.
But when they were come into the Void, Ilúvatar said to them: 'Behold your Music!' And he showed to them a vision, giving to them sight where before was only hearing; arid they saw a new World made visible before them, and it was globed amid the Void, and it was sustained therein, but was not of it.
I understand looking at these images that they also fit that description, but I think the natural assumption on reading thoise lines is to envision a spherical planet. As I said before, I can accept the ambiguity of the Silmarillion because of its mythic nature, but to define the flat Earth and try to explain it or make it believable stretches me too far.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Alatar wrote:See even when I read the Silmarillion, the initial concept was of a round world.
But when they were come into the Void, Ilúvatar said to them: 'Behold your Music!' And he showed to them a vision, giving to them sight where before was only hearing; arid they saw a new World made visible before them, and it was globed amid the Void, and it was sustained therein, but was not of it.
I understand looking at these images that they also fit that description, but I think the natural assumption on reading those lines is to envision a spherical planet. As I said before, I can accept the ambiguity of the Silmarillion because of its mythic nature, but to define the flat Earth and try to explain it or make it believable stretches me too far.
I guess that when I read "The Ambarkanta", I feel as though I'm still wrapped in the myth. It starts out:

"About all the World are the Ilurambar, the Walls of the World. They are as ice and and glass and steel, being above the imagination of the Children of Earth cold, transparent and hard. They cannot be seen, nor can they be passed, save by the Door of Night".

I can't imagine that Tolkien was actually trying to explain his physical universe "scientifically" or trying to make it believable in the context of "the real world". This is, quite simply, the cosmological workings of his myth - the "physical reality" that everyone - Valar, Elves, Men and Dwarves - take for granted from the moment of its creation through to the end of the Third Age.

Sam utterly believes that star to be a manifestation of Eärendil and the Silmaril, sailing through the Enfolding Ocean of Vaiya. He believes it because it is true within the context of the physcial universe that is his home. And so, when I read about Eärendil, I suspend my own belief that it is actually the planet Venus, and allow myself to believe what Sam "sees" as fact: that everything in his world is part of an unbroken bond of myth and history that stretches back to the beginning of Time.

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ah yes, but once we have diagrams of the construction of the world, it's no longer a myth, but a science. That is where the fault lies, and I believe Tolkien understood that and properly left it vague in the Silmarillion.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Prim wrote:
But a flat Middle-earth—that cannot even exist in the universe I understand. So I have had to learn to surrender to Tolkien and let him make it work, as well as to turn off the fretting, geeky little part of my brain that wants everything to fit with what I understand to be true about the world.
Which is precisely why, since I couldn't quite wrap my brain around Tolkien's flat earth ..... (I kept visualising those old illustrations of a flat earth balanced on the back of four tortoises or this famous woodcut) .....

I decided that Eä, and all of Arda, was in a parallel universe governed by slightly different physical laws than our own which would conveniently allow for a flat earth and a sun that was drawn down by the servants of Ulmo, and went in haste under the Earth, and so came unseen to the east and there mounted the heaven again

So, you see, I don't need to reconcile Sam's star with Venus becauseI am quite sure that the star he sees over Mordor is Eärendil.

Works for me. :D

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

See, that wouldn't work for me, either. I just want Middle-earth to be one with the present Earth somehow. And I don't want myths to have scientific justification, however vague.

In other words, I want magic, and I want it in the same world I live in—in which I don't believe in magic. Maybe because I want to be wrong. :P

So you see, Sass, there's no satisfying me!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Try this on for size, Prim. In the beginning, the world was created with a direct connection to the spiritual or holy realm. While this "straight path" still existed, there was no need for us to perceive the material world using the the laws of physics and such. But, as a consequence of the marring of Arda by Melkor, this straight path was bent, resulting in the present configuration in which the familiar natural laws rule supreme but the connection to that spiritual or holy realm is tenuous and uncertain. Thus, the modern world IS Middle-earth, but we have gone so far from the Straight Path that our perception of things is purely scientific. And yet, even science seems to be leading us to a new perception of things, with truths that we once held to be absolute turning out to be relative.

Perhaps we only have the ability to perceive the blessed Star of Eärendil as the planet Venus precisely because the path has been bent? For me, at least, reading and thinking about Tolkien's work makes me feel like Elendil, standing at the top of the tower at Annúminas peering in vain longing for some vision of the undying lands. Though the effort is doomed to fail, sometimes I feel that a glimpse of that holy realm is just outside my reach, and my spirit is uplifted from making the effort, even though I fail.
I believe Tolkien understood that and properly left it vague in the Silmarillion.
Ah, but what is the Silmarillion, Alatar? A completed work by Tolkien, or an amalgamation of different uncompleted works selectively chosen, combined and edited by his son? :)
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Perhaps we only have the ability to perceive the blessed Star of Eärendil as the planet Venus precisely because the path has been bent? For me, at least, reading and thinking about Tolkien's work makes me feel like Elendil, standing at the top of the tower at Annúminas peering in vain longing for some vision of the undying lands. Though the effort is doomed to fail, sometimes I feel that a glimpse of that holy realm is just outside my reach, and my spirit is uplifted from making the effort, even though I fail.
*sw00n*

Yes.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<joins Sass in sw000ning for Voronwë>

scirocco

Post by scirocco »

I certainly agree with Athrabeth and (not all the) others that the whole concept of the World Made Round is immensely satisfying. I remember being almost transfixed with excitement (perhaps that's the wrong word) when I first grasped Tolkien's meaning as a teenager reading the Sil - a previously flat pizza dragged over a ball - but the old paths still go on:
...where the round world plunges steeply down
but on the old road goes,
as an unseen bridge that on arches runs
to coasts that no man knows...
What a strong, convincing and yet entirely original idea (as far as I know). How "cool"! :) An idea that obviously resonated greatly with Tolkien himself, and yet one which he appears to have been willing to abandon. What loss we would have suffered had the Silmarillion not been published in its late '50's form.
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Perhaps we only have the ability to perceive the blessed Star of Eärendil as the planet Venus precisely because the path has been bent? For me, at least, reading and thinking about Tolkien's work makes me feel like Elendil, standing at the top of the tower at Annúminas peering in vain longing for some vision of the undying lands. Though the effort is doomed to fail, sometimes I feel that a glimpse of that holy realm is just outside my reach, and my spirit is uplifted from making the effort, even though I fail.
Beautiful, Voronwë. That glimpse I'm sure we all feel, and I think captures something of what Tolkien meant by Faery, that sort of distant, only just glimpsed, Perilous Realm, a kind of cold shiver of joy, a half-remembered dream, a sense of loss and sadness now it is unattainable, and a yearning to reach it.

On a lighter note, I remember a spirited discussion with -Rómestámo- on TORC where we discussed Elven ships leaving the Grey Havens, and calculating how far offshore they would have to have been, before they rose so high in the air (along the Straight Road) that they would have been invulnerable to attack from Corsairs (had they operated that far north). :D
Voronwë the Faithful

Alatar wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: Ah, but what is the Silmarillion, Alatar? A completed work by Tolkien, or an amalgamation of different uncompleted works selectively chosen, combined and edited by his son? :)

Now that is the basis for a whole 'nother thread....
Indeed. :)

Wonderful to see you here again, scirocco