The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Inanna »

List?

BTW, I just bought and finished Deanna’s latest with Victoria Speedwell.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Gonna leave this here.

Don't Cross this Virtual Picket Line
To support Amazon workers and let the company know that we do not approve of their union-busting tactics, a one-week boycott of the company has been planned. From Sunday, March 7th to Saturday, March 13th, everyone is being asked to not use Amazon or Amazon Prime and do not stream videos using the Amazon Prime video service.
I have an Amazon Prime account, but I so seldom use it I doubt I make much of a difference. I had a bunch of media credits that I could kick myself for forgetting about & they expired. :salmon:
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So did the boycott work?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Probably not.

On the other hand, I finally downloaded Libby so I can borrow books from the public library, which means I'll probably cancel prime. Now that I've seen Good Omens twice.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have checked out kindle books from the library, but I am pretty sure the last one I got 'from the library' came via Amazon.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, but that will happen even if you don’t have prime, Rose.

I actually forgot about the boycott and ended up ordering something I urgently needed (plain brown t-shirt for Irika’s Kanga costume) through amazon prime. So.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna wrote:Yes, but that will happen even if you don’t have prime, Rose.
Hmm.. I did not know that. Learn something new every day... :D :read:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga, I’ve found Overdrive to be better than Libby.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Good to know. For audiobooks, too?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

No clue. But yes for searching, checking out and then reading non-kindle books in the app itself.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I mostly want audiobooks. I have enough of a backlog of written word to last me a decade, but I can listen to audiobooks while I do chores.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

They say their are 3 forms of learning (tactile, audio and visual) and that most people are good at 2 of them and lousy at the third. I excel at tactile and visual and I am a horrible listener, especially if I were doing something else, driving, chores, etc.. I would constantly be rewinding. Because of this, I haven't even tried audiobooks. My daughter loves them.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I listen to stories I've already heard before when I'm doing things that take more than a minimum of my attention. It's not critical if I miss a word or even a whole sentence that way. I can listen to new stories when I commute, because my brain is basically on autopilot then anyway.

I often listen to a one I've already heard before and play a game of scrabble on my phone at the same time. If I come to a tough spot in the game, I have to pause the story sometimes while I figure out what to play... but I can go for hours like that, doing both mental things at once. Mostly I listen to it while doing something real with my hands, though.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oddly, I never used to be able to process audiobooks until recently, and now it's the printed word that's giving me problems.

I checked out the first Vicky Bliss book, one of the few by Elizabeth Peters I haven't read yet. The reader is just reading. It's fine, but I've been listening to David Suchet read Poirot stories, and he's extraordinary.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I was interested in reading a book that is public domain/on Project Gutenberg and if it was possible to get it on my kindle. I took at look at the first post in this thread and WOW Impy.. lots of good links there. My kindle is pretty old. I'm not sure I can download the free book I was looking at.. but what a great reference!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

RoseMorninStar. I haven't looked at the first post in a long time though I should do so to see if I have updates for it.
Glad to hear you found it helpful.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I figured out how to send books from Libby on my phone to my Kindle, and my happiness instantly increased by 9%.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I know!!! I went through the same last year!

Loving this new author: Alix Harrow. Both books are stellar:

Ten thousand doors of January
The here and now witches
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Hold placed on the witches one. :)

I've gone through more new fiction with audiobooks in the last month than in the entire last year. Good ones have a wait list, which gives me a queue.

I also listened to the full cast, complete text of The Graveyard Book, and it's amazing. Silas is just perfect.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Inanna »

Try and find the doors one too. It’s better. Draws you in the way the witches one doesn’t.

Just ensuring you don’t give up on the author if the witches one is not to your standards. :D