The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Frelga »

Guards! Guards! Is 1.99 on Kindle.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

John Garth's Tolkien and the Great War is also $1.99 today. In my opinion, the best and most important biographical work about Tolkien.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Thanks Frelga and V.

FYI: Not sure this is of interest to anyone here, but the Brooklyn public library is offering a work around for banned books. For anyone 13-21 they will grant you a virtual library card for digital access.
Send an email (without spaces) to: booksunbanned @ BKLYNlibrary.org

For those who live in New York state the card is permanent, but for those who live elsewhere this may only be good for a undetermined /limited time. This card is not only for banned books, one can also access genealogy records, etc. Donations can also be made in support.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Tor's free book bundle for May is out, available until May 6.

https://ebookclub.tor.com

This in particular looks intriguing. Anyone heard of it?
A Psalm For The Wild-Built (Monk and Robot #1)
by Becky Chambers

Dex is an adventurous and friendly tea monk who travels the human-populated areas of their moon meeting villagers and townsfolk. Dex custom-blends tea to fit the folks’ needs, and they confide their misgivings to the monk. One day, Dex meets a robot named Mosscap and they are thrown into a road-trip with a question on their minds: “what do people need?”
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I’ve read it. Beautiful. Waiting for the second one to come out this year.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

This may not be the best place for this link but given that it is *directly* applicable, I am going to share it here:
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/ ... -rcna26103
That it’s now so easy to pull the plug on thousands of book titles is itself a revelation to some users of e-reader apps, which have become part of the basic digital infrastructure at many schools and public libraries. People use the apps to find e-books available to borrow and then read them either in the same app or download them to another, such as Amazon’s Kindle.
Might be a good time to start writing to representatives (if you're in the US) and asking for legislation to protect e-books and e-book platforms.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I export my e-book library to an external hard disk. If ever a book is pulled, for whatever reason, I can still read it on my e-reader, having takwn the precautionary step of turning off wireless access.

In other news, I am now an out of State member of the Brooklyn Public Library and can borrow e-books. Colour me happy!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

How in the world did you do that Impy? I thought it was US residence under the age of 18 or some-such. I guess I need to check into that further. :)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Yeah, I'd like to know that too!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

An out of state address (my bff in Maryland) and the $50 fee, worth it for me because I pay more than twice that to Amazon annually for my kindle books.
I access via Libby.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:I export my e-book library to an external hard disk. If ever a book is pulled, for whatever reason, I can still read it on my e-reader, having takwn the precautionary step of turning off wireless access.
What??? How?? Even on kindle?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yes. It's not difficult. I plug the kindle into my laptop so I can open it like any external media, and copy the contents across to my backup.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The Tor free book of the month is The Border Keeper by Kerstin Hall.

Anyone heard of it?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oooh, I'm not signed up for Tor, but that looks good. I may need to check into it. I just got a new Kindle fire which may need able to handle that.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Downloaded it in overdrive - it’s far more friendly than the kindle app for these external books.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

How'd you do that? Through Tor, or just borrowed from the library?

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I was talking about this book through Tor. It gave me two links - kindle and ebook. Kindle never opened in my kindle app. Ebook link opened immediately in my Overdrive app.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh! Do you mean Overdrive on Kindle?

That penny has been dropping a long way!

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I signed up for Tor, how do I get the book? Do they have to send me something?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rose, they will send you an email every month.

For this month, if you click on the Tor link https://ebookclub.tor.com/, you should see the button to click and enter the email that you signed up with.