Hobbit Video Diary links and discussion

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I also really like the opening shot of Radagast and the bird.
Yes, that was rather lovely, and indeed the new footage of younger Thorin and Balin at Erebor was exciting to see. I do love seeing the enthusiasm and passion of the folks behind-the-scenes, but have to agree with Prim in that the highlight for me was seeing the musicians settling down to record Howard's score at Abbey Road... :love:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, it was for me, too. Despite the fact that I had heard a considerable portion of the soundtrack (the 60 second previews), that gave me chills.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

So the longer-bearded Thorin pictures that we saw a couple of days apparently weren't just concept art, they were actually for the younger Thorin (based on the scene glimpsed in the vlog with the considerably younger looking Balin). Which explains why, in those pictures that we saw, he looked, well, younger (which is one reason I didn't like them as much, although if they really are for a flashback to an earlier time, bring it on!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Elentári wrote:I think they could be design ideas for a younger, more regal Thorin in the days of Erebor, particularly as they appear to be compressing the timeline and making him old enough to fight there.
Guess I called it first! :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Once again showing your stardom!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

This was actually a double post, but I'll try to sneak in some actual content so no one can tell.
Primula Baggins wrote:the moment that really filled me with excitement that the film is so close was the small snatch of the score we heard, with the Dwarves' theme being played by heroic brasses.
This may be obvious, but we're hearing different parts of the soundtrack all through the thing. Though the moment you mention is my favorite too. :)
Last edited by Dave_LF on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

So what's an American Robin doing in Middle Earth? And is it the thrush? I'm sure all this and more is being discussed to death on TORN, but I haven't been over there much this week.
Voronwë the Faithful

It seems odd for it to be the thrush, but it also seems odd for it not to be!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Dave_LF wrote:This was actually a double post, but I'll try to sneak in some actual content so no one can tell.
Primula Baggins wrote:the moment that really filled me with excitement that the film is so close was the small snatch of the score we heard, with the Dwarves' theme being played by heroic brasses.
This may be obvious, but we're hearing different parts of the soundtrack all through the thing. Though the moment you mention is my favorite too. :)
Of course you're right, but I don't notice the music as much when I'm concentrating on the visuals. Watching the orchestra play the music is like being at a concert; the focus is the music.

I'm sure my reaction to the score is going to be the same as it was for the LotR films: I'll love it, but I won't get to know it until I get the score and listen to it separately.

ETA: Still only 74% through the Hobbit, so I don't remember the thrush! Considering cheating and searching for it. . . .

EATA: Read a TORN article instead. I'd forgotten that the dark bird that helps Bilbo find the door was a thrush. And apparently we see it again later. Must finish that book.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Have you been enjoying reading it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I enjoyed it very much when I had hours to focus on it while sitting with my sleeping father in the ER. Since then he's been well, but I've had to use most of my days to catch up on work and my evenings to rest—I'm still not myself.

Maybe I'll build a fire in the fireplace this evening and spend a few pleasant hours in a comfy chair finishing it properly. All work and no play, etc.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Prim, :hug: I hope you find a few hours for that pleasure.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Primula Baggins wrote:I enjoyed it very much when I had hours to focus on it while sitting with my sleeping father in the ER. Since then he's been well, but I've had to use most of my days to catch up on work and my evenings to rest—I'm still not myself.

Maybe I'll build a fire in the fireplace this evening and spend a few pleasant hours in a comfy chair finishing it properly. All work and no play, etc.
A Rivendellian moment does seem in order. :hug:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Frelga and Ax, :hug:

It may have to wait until tomorrow, depending on how much work I can get through today.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Dave_LF wrote:So what's an American Robin doing in Middle Earth? And is it the thrush? I'm sure all this and more is being discussed to death on TORN, but I haven't been over there much this week.
I think I'm just going to imagine that the Robin accompanied Radagast across the sea from the West. :)

Finrod at TORN has argued that the proportions aren't quite exactly right for an American Robin, and he's correct, but I'm willing to write that off as artistic license (actual American Robins don't talk to wizards either ;)). It's some sort of imaginary thrush based pretty closely on your standard American Robin.

Another point to make is that the CG here is way better than anything I've seen before. You can still tell that it's animated, not least because of the way it behaves, but the state of the art has clearly progressed from where it was 10 years ago. I thought the same thing when I watched Life of Pi last week. I also think the goblin CG in the most recent previews looks better than it did in the earlier ones.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Dave_LF wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:So what's an American Robin doing in Middle Earth? And is it the thrush? I'm sure all this and more is being discussed to death on TORN, but I haven't been over there much this week.
I think I'm just going to imagine that the Robin accompanied Radagast across the sea from the West. :)

Finrod at TORN has argued that the proportions aren't quite exactly right for an American Robin, and he's correct, but I'm willing to write that off as artistic license (actual American Robins don't talk to wizards either ;)). It's some sort of imaginary thrush based pretty closely on your standard American Robin.

Another point to make is that the CG here is way better than anything I've seen before. You can still tell that it's animated, not least because of the way it behaves, but the state of the art has clearly progressed from where it was 10 years ago. I thought the same thing when I watched Life of Pi last week. I also think the goblin CG in the most recent previews looks better than it did in the earlier ones.
I am a little annoyed at its clear American Robin features (there are plenty of European birds to choose from...), but I have to agree about the CGI. That is the most realistic computer-generated animal I have ever seen. A beautiful shot too...
Voronwë the Faithful

Another Vlog, about the premier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtCOQMfNaLQ
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

From PJ's Facebook page about an hour ago:
Back on set for our last Hobbit pick ups. Our last ever Tolkien pick ups, in fact. It's going to be an intense few weeks, but we're looking forward to shooting some powerful scenes with our great cast. Our next blog is coming soon!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

According to Katie Jackson the next V-log will be up within the next 2 days!

https://twitter.com/Katiejackson96
@SanderPostema97:
"Hello Katie, you said that the next Hobbit production vlog will be up within the last 2 weeks! Do you know exactly when? :-)"

@Katiejackson96:
"Within the next two days!"
Thanks to IncredibleSmaug for this alert!
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elentári wrote:According to Katie Jackson the next V-log will be up within the next 2 days!

https://twitter.com/Katiejackson96
@SanderPostema97:
"Hello Katie, you said that the next Hobbit production vlog will be up within the last 2 weeks! Do you know exactly when? :-)"

@Katiejackson96:
"Within the next two days!"
Thanks to IncredibleSmaug for this alert!
Is it too much to hope that we'll get a glimpse of Persbrandt as Beorn?