The 2012 US Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

N.E.B., I always forget you live in Cleveland. :love: I grew up in Lorain County.

Obama and Romney have both been hitting the state hard. Obama was just in Dayton earlier this week. My friends and my mom attended a Romney rally in nearby Lebanon.

I definitely see more Romney signs around than I do Obama signs, but I live in a Republican area.

Ohio has absentee/early voting that's open to anyone, but that's not exactly the same as Prim is talking about.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I hesitate to say this with a week still left, and maybe it's just because I'm not in a competitive state and don't watch TV, but it seems to me there's been a lot less silly stuff from serious people this time around. No Joe the Plumber. No accusations of consorting with terrorists. No demands for birth certificates (except from Donald Trump, whom I do not consider a serious person). No rage rallies, armed or otherwise. A lot of that may just be because Sarah Palin is not involved, but that's another entry for the list in itself. Do those in different states have different impressions?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

you might discover that there are shocking numbers of 20-somethings in chronic pain.
I'm pretty sure that being a 20-something is a chronic pain. Or that 20-somethings are chronic pains. Not sure which.

OTOH, pot kept my dad off of morphine until the last month or so of his cancer, so it does have some uses.
Finally, our police chief issued a statement that MMJ dispensaries weren't any more attractive to criminals than any other business and would the press please reflect that in their reporting.
But that's far too sensible.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

With such a close election, the impact of Hurricane Sandy, etc., could be huge. Here are two articles speculating on the potential issues, one from the ubiquitious Nate Silver, and the other from the Washington Post:

Impact of Hurricane Sandy on Election Is Uncertain

Five places where Hurricane Sandy could affect the election

Two things that probably won't have an effect on the election but maybe should. First is the fact that in one of the GOP debates, Mitt Romney emphatically insisted that the FEMA should eliminated and that disaster relief should fall exclusively on the state and local governments. On the other hand, Gov. Christie of New Jersey, one of Romney's main supporters and one of the president's biggest critics, has been quite lavish of his praise of the president's efforts to be proactive in addressing the potential emergency of Sandy, and in coordinating emergency relief with his state.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

axordil wrote: OTOH, pot kept my dad off of morphine until the last month or so of his cancer, so it does have some uses.
Not saying it doesn't. I am, however, saying that some doctors are more scrupulous than others about who deserves a pot card. Also, if your state does legalize MMJ, be prepared for some weird stuff to go down before the industry fully settles into place. Some locales in Colorado have banned dispensaries altogether. Boulder hasn't and won't, but from what I've seen some establishments are much classier than others. There's one not far from me that I passed off to my parents as "I dunno, might be a yoga studio" and then another with an electronic reader board out front advertising "Special of the Week: Blue Kush $50/oz." and similar. And then there was, across from campus, the infamous Dr. Reefer with its neon signage. That one went out of business.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

River wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote: (Of course, who knows whether the fact -- if it is even a fact -- that Tagg Romney, Mitt Romney's son, owns a part of the business that makes the voting machines that are use in Ohio will have any influence on that state's vote. I certainly hope not, and I would think that any right-thinking person would hope not regardless of their political affiliation.)
Me too. Neither side needs those kinds of whispers. But I've only seen that discussed on sites like DailyKos and AlterNet so I'm putting it in the hysteria bin.
I think this is the kind of naive attitude that allows elections to be stolen. Where else would you expect to see electronic vote rigging talked about? In the corporate mainstream media? How can it be that we will again allow private companies with strong Republican affiliations sole access to the easily manipulated data from voting machines they own? Is it hysterical to suggest that vote counting should be transparent? Is it hysterical to suggest that people just might be willing to cheat when so much is at stake?

'Neither side needs these kinds of whispers' is exactly the attitude that allows this to happen. Why don't we need these kinds of whispers? Isn't our democracy worth exercising a little vigilance and common sense? Isn't our right to vote worth a little more respect than simply assuming everyone is right-thinking?

Good grief.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Vigilance is good.
Paranoia is bad.
Facts and evidence are best.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

yovargas for President. :love:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:shock: :scarey: :nono:
-The Decemberists

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

:horse:
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Anthy, I thought you LIKED yov. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Good point. Plus, if he were president, he'd probably never have time to post here anymore, a consequence which I will not accept.

Hmmmmm....

Clone yovargas!!

:horse:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

:help:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Anthy, I thought you LIKED yov. ;)
That made me :rofl:

However, I agree with Cerin here. The only argument against widespread abuse of electronic voting I hear is "Oh, surely no one would do that!" I find that unsatisfactory, because yes they would, if they thought they could get away with it. And there are not nearly enough safeguards to ensure that they can't.

For the sake of avoiding an argument* I would say that I don't trust either party with that honey pot, but apparently it's the republicans who have the ties to the manufacturers of those machines.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

First of all, according to Snopes, the statement that Tagg Romney owns an interest in voting machines used in Ohio is false.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/romney/v ... chines.asp

As that article points out, not only is not true that Tagg Romney has any connection with the voting machines, the possibility of tampering with the results of the election is negligible. I have seen other articles which quote representatives of the Democratic Party in the counties in question that emphatically state that they are confident that there is no tampering that could be happening. That is a lot different than just saying "no one would do that." If there is a conspiracy here, it is a conspiracy that includes the Democratic Party seeking to ensure that the GOP wins. That simply doesn't make sense to me. As far as I am concerned, it is much ado about nothing.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And it is official: Obama is coming to CU Boulder again on Thursday. A Democratic candidate holding campaign rallies in Boulder is sort of like bringing coals to Newcastle but hey, at least it means we get attention for more than marijuana rallies. But it's his third visit to this campus in 12 months, which makes me wonder if he isn't falling victim to Niwot's Curse. Most of us so afflicted needed more than a day trip but to each their own. Maybe, when he's done being president, he'll buy vacation property out here. Or become yet another transplant (not likely, but an amusing thought nonetheless).

In all seriousness, though, it's not hard to imagine why someone would take any available excuse to visit Boulder. And it is an Obama-friendly audience. Romney hasn't bothered visiting us at all.

And no, I'm not going. Nothing I've heard about campaign rallies makes me inclined to stand in line for the tickets and then stand in line for the seat.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But what processes are in place to make sure it can't happen? What processes are in place to detect whether it dkd? Because, speaking as a programmer, it wouldn't even take a conspiracy.

Where, as Yov says, is the evidence that the election that may be decided on a razor margin is not been pushed ever so slightly in either direction?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Did you read the link that I posted to? As Snopes quotes the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
But elections officials in Ohio's Hamilton and Williams counties -- the only two of Ohio's 88 counties that use equipment made by Hart InterCivic -- as well as company representatives say there's no way such meddling could occur.

Both counties use a paper balloting system in which results are tallied by scanners made by Hart InterCivic. All programming of the machines, diagnostic testing, and vote tabulation is done by elections staff in each county and no vote tabulation is done over the Internet, county election board representatives say. The paper ballots are there as backup and can be recounted with Democratic and Republican party representatives on hand.

"There is no truth to the idea that anyone could get into our system and tamper with the results," said Hamilton County elections board deputy director Sally Krisel.
I think that answers both of your questions.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I don't know which I find more offensive, this ad, or the Fox reaction.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/193266325900 ... -obama-ad/

Seriously guys, is this the standard the campaigning has sunk to?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End