Hobbit cast!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Aren't the rights for the Hobbit separate from LOTR and other Tolkien works? Or are they under one umbrella now? If they are still separate, then a case could be made that the name Elros falls under a different copyright.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You can't copyright a name, even one you made up yourself. You can trademark it, but that's a silly expense unless you're going to be, say, selling millions of action figures. So all Tolkien names are fair game.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Well at some point in the future, they may make the Silmarillion and there may be Elros action figures.

What?

It could happen.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I want the Huan action figure, with Lúthien riding him!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oooh, I want that too.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I want Maedrhos, with the detachable action arm.

hoo boy, my internal spell checker is off today
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

News about Lee Pace's shooting schedule is surprisingly absent so far, but talented fan-artists have been busy illustrating how they think he might look as Thranduil:

and also this rather nice drawing over on Deviantart by Lomelindi88
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That's pretty cool!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I'll bet money they don't just make him a Legolas clone.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It seems that Bain, the son of Bard, will be included in the films. Actor Michael Fowler has allegedly been cast as the Tall Scale Double for the character, according to his profile on StarNow

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So will he be the face on screen or not? (I mean, should I add him to the cast list?)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Apparently the actor playing Bain will beJohn Bell.

He is listed in the cast at the New York Times:

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/448641/ ... -One-/cast

And discusses it in an interview in Hollywood Teenzine:

http://hollywoodteenzine.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=87
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

V, just in case it matters, your John Bell link takes us to the Alberta film rating board. (Geez, do they set the trend?)

ps there are too many John Bells to provide a link myself.

eta: after some sleuthing, I believe this is the one: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2686004/
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'll try to get to it later (to add him to the sticky thread). Thanks, guys!
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, for criminy's sake! That's the second time I've done something like that. How annoying. But the site I meant to link to is the very one that Sir D linked to. So no real harm done.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Lali, just stubled across an article about Mike Mizrahi (Thrain) and thought you might like to add this picture to the cast thread... :)

http://robertbruce.co.nz/news.php
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks, Elen! I'll add it.

ETA: I made a few minor adjustments to others as well. (I added a production photo of Bilbo--things like that.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Okay, Lali, one more for you (thank Eru!) Apparently Scottish comedian and actor Billy Connolly has been hired to play Dain!

Connolly to play Hobbit great dwarf

Seems like kind of an odd choice, but I guess he isn't just a comedian. His looks are actually pretty good. And at least they now have someone playing the part, eliminating the worry that it was going to be omitted. Good news that!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Note also that PJ says "the cast is now complete." So, no surprises left, for good or ill.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Okay, thanks! I'll add it in as soon as I can.

Hmmm. So did they ever recast Drogo?