FIFA World Cup 2010

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

All I saw of the match was Spain's first goal, but that was a thing of beauty.

I heard more than that; my son was watching it on Univision because he speaks Spanish and enjoys the GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL guy (and the general snarkiness of the coverage; every player's got a nickname, not all of them nice).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, if you like snarkiness, it's worth having the Guardian live commentary popping up on a computer screen while you watch the match. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hee, I will pass that on to my son.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The guys on CBC radio were funny to listen to, too. Snarky.

I hope I get to sit down and watch the final.
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

I spent today with my Dutch friend and I will root for The Netherlands for the final. She's not very optimistic, but who knows...

The German team must be very disappointed because they don't want a celebration when they return home, no matter if they become third or fourth. Is it only the victory which counts?

This young team did a very good job and it's only fair that the best team wins. Btw, my patriotism is very limited and my world isn't upside down because of yesterday's match. :)
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The German team should be proud; it got into the top four teams in the Cup! That's nothing to sneeze at.

I loved watching the match. All that fancy footwork is a thing of beauty - Spain really had it all together.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

My son has been enjoying the whole competition. I know this for a fact because he's willingly got himself up at 5:30 or 6:30 in the morning to catch some of the games. This is about when he'd normally be going to bed by his unconstrained normal schedule, when he's not staying with us.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

The party is at my house on Sunday. :drink:

I drove all over Calgary to buy an Espana shirt good thing it's just $5.00 from a souvenir shop so I got a few of them for my friends and two for the toddlers. It was so expensive at the Nike store and out at Zellers and The Bay. One of my cousins in Barcelona sent me a few bottles of Fundador, unbelievable!!! I can't seem to find it here, so I called him and complained then a few days later it was shipped at my doorstep. It must have cost him an arm and a leg! I am preparing a Spanish menu, called my grandma in Quebec City for ideas.

Espana!!!
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

We're likely going to have friends over for the final as well.

Go, Netherlands, Go!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Third-place match is underway.

My middle son, who is sinking alas ever further into evil, sent me this sample link:

Click if you dare*

It is possible to enjoy the same experience while, say, reading HoF. Just saying.

*Kid safe. Work safe (visually) but it makes noise.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Oy!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I should've said, Voronwë, please don't click on this or you're likely to say oy.

Mr. Prim said (yelled) "Shut that bloody bouzouki off!"
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Gandalf, man, you broke my vuvuzela!

Oh wait...it's working!
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Our dog, who is a tasteful lady as, um, female dogs go, will not stay in a room with vuvuzelas.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I shall not say what the word "vuvuzela" puts me in mind of. I can and did say it on another site I visit, but it has basically no "language" restrictions. :D :twisted:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

What? What? Now, I need to KNOW.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

[b]Ole! Ole! Ole! Ole! Espana!! Espana!!! Viva!! [/b]Viva!!! :hooray: :woohoo: :drink:

We're heading outside and will grab the Spanish Flag I placed in front of the house. Now, if I can convince Princess to drive us downtown and my parents to babysit for awhile. :)
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Okay, so that octopus now has me seriously freaked out...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

vison wrote:I shall not say what the word "vuvuzela" puts me in mind of. I can and did say it on another site I visit, but it has basically no "language" restrictions. :D :twisted:
You've got to tell me. I am running through my entire store of obscenities in four languages, and none of them sound like vuvuzela.
:devil:

Also, yay Spain! :)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yaaaaayyyy! SPAIN!! :D

Not that I have anything against Holland, but Spain plays such beautiful football - it's a delight to watch their footwork.

And the Netherlands played some dirty, desperate football. Too much deliberate fouling.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.