FIFA World Cup 2010

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Wilma wrote:The US is out and England is out. I am stunned, but Germany has been doing pretty well. I think Germany will be the only survivor from this South American take over.

I missed both games yesterday as I was out all day, but my dad told me both games were really good and controversial. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Brazil vs. Chile looks really interesting today (or tonight depending on your time zone)
I asked my friend, who was cheering for England, who we were going to cheer for next, since both our teams had been knocked out. She said who ever could beat the snot out of Ghana and Germany. :rofl:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Brazil won today!!! Spain is still in. :)
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Elentári wrote:UK versus Germany????

Controversial, yes...good??? not if you are English! :rage:
I agree! What WAS that? the ball bumped a good yard or two inside the goal line, and NONE of the referees saw it? I don't understand why Fifa cannot install simple goal line technology to detect such ridiculous mistakes.

What really amazed me was how none of the English players, none, said anything to the referee. Nothing, not a word.

Compare that to Mexicos' angst (and again, justified) towards the referee for giving a goal that was clearly offside!

So, yes, Wilma, very exciting games, and very-very controversial.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Areanor

Post by Areanor »

At least Fifa seems to start to think about admitting some more technical help. Considering the huge amount of money that is involved and won or lost on some very strange false decisions, one gets a rather awkward feeling.

The thing that stunned us most was that we waited for England to come out after the break in an angry mood, saying "now we show them" - but there was nothing - like a balloon of which someone let the air out.

But the German players were in a good playmode, I guess they would have won anyway. Let's see how they cope with Argentina. Though Messi hasn't scored a goal in this Tournament yet, he's still dangerous.
I'd like to send Maradona home, already he is complaining that the referees should have an eye on Messi and punish everyone that sets his foot near him...

About Italy.. they usually aren't good after winning a title, it seems that they like to rest on their laurels.

And France.... :scarey: ... well, they deserved it.
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

I don't like matches between England and Germany because of some horrendous so-called fans on both sides, turning a football game into a sort of reenactment of WW II, supported by the press, the English tabloids in particular. :nono:
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I saw the latest match. Why Ghana why? :cry:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My son was yelling at the TV loud enough that I could hear it upstairs.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I was in a break room, that usually holds 16 people, but somehow about 40 people were crammed in there (more than a few from Ghana), while watching a bit of the game, and the place erupted several times.
There were lots of missed opportunities and lots of tears on the field.
I can't hate that the people that sent the US home went packing, but it was tough to watch them lose in that way.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Viva Espana!!!! Uno - Nada! :horse: :cheerleader: :hooray: :horse:
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Am very disappointed after the quarter-finals. Esp. Spain winning. :P After the kind of comments their coach has passed, they deserve to be out.

No Brazil, no Argentina. Who will I cheer for? :(
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Quite so, Mahima. Brazil was very lacklustre in all their games, though, considering the expectations and build up. In fact, all the teams which had high expectations fell short of them; perhaps there was a sense of entitlement?

I guess I shall support Spain; though my heart isn't in it. There is one team I maliciously and sincerely hope DON'T win (for no reason other than quirk and caprice) but I shan't mention it in case a Halofirian feels skewered by my position.

But I really hope they don't win. I hate 'em! :rage:

erm. :oops:

Sorry. Got carried away.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Areanor

Post by Areanor »

Impenitent wrote: But I really hope they don't win. I hate 'em! :rage:
Huh, rather strong feelings, for just a football game? :hug:

Well, there aren't that many teams out there left, and I just guess it's not Uruguay you hate ;)

though - to reconsider - I wanted to support Ghana as they played well and would have deserved to go on, but then I absolutely didn't want to just for Kevin-Prince Boateng - :shrug:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: to Thomas Müller - We'll miss him on wednesday.
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Ole! Ole! Ole! Espana!!! Ole!! Ole!!! OLe!! :hooray:

I won the $500 pool at work and going to get me some Fundador.

Mahima :P
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Congratulations to Spain. They were the better team.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:hug:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I listened to the last 15 minutes on the radio. It was a terrific win for Spain, they dominated the play.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah, it was a very good match and the better team won. And I am so excited for Holland to get to the Final, I will be rooting for them to triumph at last. Image

But whoever the victor, it will be a new country on top of the football world, which is great! :)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I know a very happy Spaniard today.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's nice. I know a mildly disgruntled German. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

My family went out to watch the match on the big screen, and we thought the game was a bit disappointing--not enough brilliance. :D We were at the table with a girl who was rooting for Germany, and we came to the conclusion the German team had seen that magic octopus (Paul, right?) pick Spain as the winner and had lost all hope. :)

Hoping for a good final match!