Joni Mitchell on Bob Dylan: 'He's a plagiarist'

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Cerin wrote:I share Voronwë's assessment of Dylan as an artist. I'd say without hesitation that Dylan is the greatest popular artist of the last century. I wouldn't try to argue about influence, though. It's just a subjective opinion, based on what I perceive as the enormity and uniqueness of his gift.
I don't get it. :scratch:

But it doesn't matter. Tastes vary and that's a wonderful thing.
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Taste is subjective but both popularity and influence can be quantified and measured.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Dylan was a great lyricist...a poet. He happened to set many of his poems to music and many of his tunes are catchy. Almost ALL his tunes are very simple, musically - three chords, tops. Many people (folk and acoustic artists, mostly) copied this style...which, of course, was "copied" from songs from other folk singers, going back hundreds of years. Dylan made it popular and as an influence to the folk revival that happened in the US, he is certainly on the top of the list. His songs have been covered by hundreds of other artists.

As far as a great musical influence in other genres...I do not think so.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

See, this is where I disagree. I don't think Dylan's lyrics are good poetry at all. They might be great lyrics when sung, but as stand-alone-lyric poetry, not so much.

I remember vividly when Dylan took up the electric guitar. Some of his more rabid folk fans burned his records in disgust.
Dig deeper.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Bob Dylan reminds me of Terry Pratchett's comment (roughly remembered) about:

"A nasal whine that tells you that folk song is about to be committed"
:twisted:

(Still. I know one good folk song. It lasts for weeks)