Attacks on Conservatives

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
halplm
hooked

Attacks on Conservatives

Post by halplm »

I thought this deserved its own thread. I'm still shocked there has been NO media coverage of this. The latest is that the NOPD confirmed the attack was political in nature.

http://thehayride.com/2010/04/the-brenn ... r-a-story/

Glad their attackers weren't tea party protesters, or who knows what might have happened.

But anyway, in addition to this one attack (hopefully there won't be more to fill this thread), I want to ask people what they think the media coverage would be like if this attack had been on one of Mary Landrieu's staffers... perhaps a black one.

Anyone think there would be no news coverage?

ETA: Sorry, this is actually the second attack on conservatives since the tea parties began. The media has done such a good job of burying it, I even forgot about Kenneth Gladney. He actually is black, but has been disowned by his race for the sin of being a conservative.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

Greetings Halplm.

I am Nenochtoo, and not affliated with either party.

Why do you suppose they are drawing such scorn attracting such violence upon themselves ?
Pomthekie
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Nenochtoo wrote:Greetings Halplm.

I'm not affiliated with either party either.
Why do you suppose they are drawing such scorn attracting such violence upon themselves ?
I don't think they are attracting such violence upon themselves, if that's even relevant.

The first was selling junk with conservative slogans on it at a town hall meeting. Annoying, yes... worthy of a beating?

These people on Friday were doing nothing but walking home from a dinner with the girls boss. They were literally attacked for working for a Republican.
Nenochtoo

Post by Nenochtoo »

halplm wrote:
Nenochtoo wrote:Greetings Halplm.

I'm not affiliated with either party either.
I don't think they are attracting such violence upon themselves, if that's even relevant.

The first was selling junk with conservative slogans on it at a town hall meeting. Annoying, yes... worthy of a beating?

These people on Friday were doing nothing but walking home from a dinner with the girls boss. They were literally attacked for working for a Republican.

Nothing but the Rocks live forever. This is nothing new for any civilized country,nation,kingdom or empire. The ancient Romans had a few civil wars as well as the rest of the Old World following Rome's decline and fall.

World history is chocked full of civil wars and revolutions. At times I think it is the plight of any civilized country.

But this country hasn't been so divided since April of 1861 and that is especially bad for any sensible folk caught up between such feuding factions. Very dangerous for all involved.

If this craziness isn't quelled but soon, it will only get worse, thus repeating the bloody history of our own civil war or that of the Old World.

By the way, what sort of creature is that in your Avatar? It kinda reminds me of some art I once looked at on the net.
Pomthekie
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

it's a fox squirrel from Nausica

The real question is, if the conservatives are violent as they have been portrayed by our lovely media, and the democratic party... why is it that the two violent acts related to this political division have been liberals attacking conservatives? And why isn't this news?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

why is it that the two violent acts related to this political division have been liberals attacking conservatives? And why isn't this news?
Because the standards for newsworthiness have changed?

Considering this. And this. And considering what happened fifteen years ago Monday.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Primula Baggins wrote:
why is it that the two violent acts related to this political division have been liberals attacking conservatives? And why isn't this news?

Considering this. And this. And considering what happened fifteen years ago Monday.
Excuse me? The museum guy was a nazi nut.

The pilot was a LIBERAL.

And what exactly is your point with the oklahoma city bombing?

You seem to be saying that newsworthiness is based on trying to smear conservatives, the tea party, etc... but only THAT type of violence is newsworthy? But violence by leftist anarchists against conservatives is not news?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula Baggins wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand what you are trying to say here, Prim.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I tried to read Hal's link, but thousands of words in I hadn't gotten near any actual description of what happened. Life is short, so I went back to work.

My concern is about violence by far right-wing fringe people against innocent people, because it's happened before, the worst instance being Oklahoma City. I am honestly afraid that something similarly awful will happen before this current wave of violent posturing is through. Not because any Tea Partier would ever do or condone such a thing, but because the atmosphere created by some of their rhetoric gives cover and encouragement to much more dangerous people.

von Brunn was a Birther who posted on Free Republic. As a Nazi he was not a Republican, but there's no question that he was right-wing.

Stack was anti-government and anti-IRS, not what most people would call liberal positions. We are supposed to be all for huge government and IRS confiscation of successful people's money to give to the unsuccessful.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I think Stack was a libertarian, not a liberal.

I also think that the ( national? ) media's silence about the incident halplm refers to is a little - disquieting. ( If for nothing other than the last thing we really need is more fuel on the right-wing fire, more playing right into the "The media is liberal commies!!!11" rhetoric by some on the far right ... )

Ignoring or condescending people is no way to calm them down. I will not be surprised if there's a fair number on the left who are waiting with a kind of silent, hand-rubbing glee for that violence to erupt so that they can further their own agenda by using it as propaganda fodder. ( And yes, that is just a statement. I have nothing to back it up with at all - just a general jadedness towards partisanship. )
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Honest question - has the "MSM" generally been reporting much on violence against ordinary citizens at rallies? The only incidents I've heard about were of violence or threats directed at politicians but I don't follow the news much.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Good question, yov - and again it is about what is "newsworthy" ( a.k.a, brings the eyeballs to sell the ads, for some news outlets ). Joe Ordinary is maybe nothing much, but Joe Politician can be spun so that members of Joe Politician's party may feel their party is under threat now. Etc. Not saying that's what this case is about, but that is what yov's question made me think of.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I hope there isn't anyone, on any "side," hoping for violence. I read more liberal blogs than most people here and I have never seen such a thing even hinted at, nor do I think it would be tolerated if it were.

If someone could link to a story anywhere that simply describes the incident Hal is talking about, I would appreciate it. It's obviously being talked about, but I can't find any description of what happened; everything on blogs is so thick with speculation and innuendo that I can't parse out what even happened, or what people think happened, or what the New Orleans police are investigating (as evidently they are), or why it's assumed to be a political attack. (I am not saying it can't have been a political attack; I'm saying I can't find out why people believe it was.)

If so little actual fact is known about the incident, I can see why the MSM isn't covering it at this point. There's nothing but allegations, as far as I can tell. Two people actually were hurt, and that is serious and needs investigating; but it doesn't, in itself, constitute national news.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Dog bites man... not newsworthy. Man bites dog ... that's newsworthy.

"News" is by definition new. People are being attacked all the time - democrats, republicans, greens, libertarians, independents, whatever. If two out of those thousands are not carried front page, to your indignation, its because the editors had something better that day for the front page. Nothing personal.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It might yet end up on the front page, but it will have to become a lot less nebulous first.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think the very fact that so little is known is in itself troubling. I think that hal has a point that if this had been an aide to Sen. Landrieu rather than Gov. Jindal there might have been more attention paid to it in the national news. Look at what a big story it was from the getgo when Landrieu's phone was attempted to be tapped. Look at much attention there have been on the alleged threats made to Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Murray of Washington. I do find it quite troubling that this situation has gotten so little attention.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Little attention even from Fox? Genuinely asking.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

When the MSM is ignoring a story, the political blogs on the ignored side usually have all the details. In other words, stories do get out, even if the MSM ignores them; remember the anti-war protests in '02 and '03, for example? Covered pretty heavily by bloggers, if no one else.

That is not the case here. I think there are no details to report (yet?), either because the principals aren't talking to anyone, or because the details don't support the narrative the right-wing blogosphere want to present.

Note that I am still not saying there's no story here. But it does seem odd to me that the story is not being told anywhere, even on right-wing blogs that presumably would love to present evidence that at least some liberals are criminally violent.

If there is a link to an actual presentation of the facts of the incident, even on a blog, I hope someone will post it.

ETA: Here is what Michelle Malkin (not remotely a liberal) had to say about the incident a few days ago.

A couple of quotes:
Don’t lose your heads, people.

This much is clear: Bautsch and her boyfriend were seriously beaten and injured after leaving a fund-raising event held during the Southern Republican Leadership Conference.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune said they were involved in an alteraction with a “group of people” on Friday night.

Louisiana blog The Hayride has tracked all the developments since the incident took place and notes that the SRLC had attracted large groups of anarchists and other liberal grievance-mongers to protest the GOP gathering.

Now, there’s a frenzy of rumors lighting up Twitter, my e-mail, and blogs alleging that the young pair were attacked because they were wearing Palin pins.

That is an allegation.

It is not a fact. [Prim note: It has since emerged that they were not wearing Palin pins.]

And I am not part of some nefarious MSM/LSM cover-up or anti-Palin conspiracy just because I’m not hysterically “shouting from the rooftops about this assault.”

No one needs to remind me about the Left’s propensity for violence.

But it looks like many of my readers need to be reminded of the dangers of recklessly jumping to conclusions before all the facts are in.

Something awful happened to Bautsch and her boyfriend. Right now, they deserve prayers and well wishes — not a hysterical political circus — while the police investigation continues.
This is not a person who would hesitate to jump in with both feet if there were any clear evidence to support an anti-liberal narrative. Or even any murky evidence.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

No one needs to remind me about the Left’s propensity for violence.
Lefty = Violence? Perhaps someone should remind her how many Iraquis have died lately.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, to be fair, they can be argued to be victims of a right-wing policy in this country, but they are not victims of right-wing people in this country.