General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOIL

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

That's not the sort of thing I like to do. I try to respond to what a poster is currently saying, rather than dredging up their previous comments on a subject. With my previous post being an unfortunately-timed exception! :)

ETA: But since you asked. From memory, I seem to remember you declaring your appreciation for the bunny sled many, many times. Alright already, enough with the bunny sled obsession. Jeez...

See how annoying that can be? ;) After all, this is a forum that talks about one film every year. Some things are bound to be repeated!
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Fair enough (although that seems a bit odd because the last time the bunny sled came up was because you asked me about it, and I said that I thought it was cheesey.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

But you see. I don't like rehashing old discussions. :)
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Anyone heard about this yet? Unofrtunately it's only available in French or German so far, but looks interesting...

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't speak French, so I couldn't follow that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't speak French, so I couldn't follow that.
My French (as my mother likes to remind me) is very bad, so I watched the German version. I have to say, it is a very lovely documentary, and John Howe and Leo Carruthers truly say some wise words about Tolkien and his world. Sadly, there are no English subtitles for the German version either (and the German subtitles are hilarious...one of them reads "John [Howe] is still fascinated by Toyota".

If I find the time I might translate some of their words for you, Voronwë. But I still hope that they make an English version.
Passdagas the Brown

I always figured Howe was a Toyota guy.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

LOL...

I do hope we get an English version, too. I don't know how far apart the episodes will be broadcast, but I will keep an eye out for the rest of the series.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

So there are Hobbit posters hanging in my gym locker room and someone (not me, I swear!) wrote on one of them "The Shower of Mordor".

And it is sort of true...I would never dare stepping into that filthy excuse of a shower.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Question: Does WB have the right to produce wholly-invented films set in Middle-Earth and using characters from The Hobbit and/or Lord of the Rings? This has been joked about a little, but given the odd throwaway line at the end of B5A and the inflation of certain roles beyond what is seemingly necessary, I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether parts of DoS and B5A could be considered a "pilot" for "The Adventures of Legolas, Tauriel, and Strider."
Passdagas the Brown

V-man should have an informed legal opinion on that. People have also forgotten that a "bridge film" to FOTR is still a possibility, as it seems to have been an option back when the Hobbit was in its early stages. Is a story based on the time period between the Hobbit and FOTR legally defensible? If there enough material in the LOTR Appendices to support such a narrative?
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:If there enough material in the LOTR Appendices to support such a narrative?
Since when has that stopped PJ? :D

(P.S. Go watch the beautiful final trailer I posted in the general BOTFA thread).
Passdagas the Brown

I saw it! Well done. Doesn't match the new Mad Max trailer, but what does? :)

And of course that hasn't stopped PJ before...but he's always had a very well-defined story structure to work from. For a bridge film, he would have to concoct an entirely new narrative - with, I suppose, either Gandalf or Aragorn as a lead protagonist (or, God forbid, Legolas...).

Personally, I'd welcome a Heart of Darkness/ Apocalypse Now-style film about the journey and experience of retaking Moria, with Balin as the central (and very tragic) protagonist. If done properly, it could prove very powerful. But could it be done legally? Curious to hear V-man's thoughts!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't think it would be PJ again, though I guess I didn't think that this time either. But the ideas from the abandoned bridge film probably would form much of the basis.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I saw it! Well done. Doesn't match the new Mad Max trailer, but what does? :)

And of course that hasn't stopped PJ before...but he's always had a very well-defined story structure to work from. For a bridge film, he would have to concoct an entirely new narrative - with, I suppose, either Gandalf or Aragorn as a lead protagonist (or, God forbid, Legolas...).

Personally, I'd welcome a Heart of Darkness/ Apocalypse Now-style film about the journey and experience of retaking Moria, with Balin as the central (and very tragic) protagonist. If done properly, it could prove very powerful. But could it be done legally? Curious to hear V-man's thoughts!
The short answer is probably yes.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I saw it! Well done. Doesn't match the new Mad Max trailer, but what does? :)
Nothing on this earth. The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah is back.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Has nobody posted this yet??

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Haha! Eat your heart out, Orlando. Here comes Stephen!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well my initial reaction is that I loved it. More later. Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well my initial reaction is that I loved it. More later. Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End