General Hobbit Movie Info (AVOID IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Smaug's "wing-walking" is a pretty innovative design that couldn't have been done with four legs. I'm glad they used it.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Plus, the wing-walking version is plausible as a member of the actual biosphere, while there's nothing out there at all that a six-limbed vertebrate could have evolved from.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Plus, it's much easier to motion-capture a four-limbed actor as a four-limbed creature.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

kzer_za wrote:Smaug's
"wing-walking" is a pretty innovative design that couldn't have been
done with four legs. I'm glad they used it.
Well, the pterodactyls from Jurassic Park 3 were "wing-walking". My first response on seeing Smaug' "wing-walk" was just them! :D

Anyway, I am not saying I prefer that over the version in the film. Only that I like it and also find it a good depiction of the creature.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Frelga wrote:Plus, it's much easier to motion-capture a four-limbed actor as a four-limbed creature.
Well, true. But they didn't use BC's mo-cap directly like Gollum and used it more as a reference.
I imagine most of the reference was needed for Smaug's face. While not that much for his limbs. So I do not think adding wings would have been a difficulty. Especially since they had a whole year (or more) for animating Smaug.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Apparently, the two canines we see just after entering Laketown (sniffing the waste laid on the road) are PJ's pugs, Fergus and Stan.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Smaug's voice wrote:
kzer_za wrote:Smaug's
"wing-walking" is a pretty innovative design that couldn't have been
done with four legs. I'm glad they used it.
Well, the pterodactyls from Jurassic Park 3 were "wing-walking". My first response on seeing Smaug' "wing-walk" was just them! :D

Anyway, I am not saying I prefer that over the version in the film. Only that I like it and also find it a good depiction of the creature.
Maybe WETA was inspired by that, then. I never saw Jurassic Park 3 - I think the first one still holds up, but The Lost World was just awful!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Honestly, I saw it for the dinos! :D The plot's bad (or even worse) in 3, but I like it better than 2 because of more "fresh" dinos (including a great scene involving the "wing-walking" pterodactyls) and the return of Dr.Grant.

I don't quite remember but didn't the Avatar flying-birds have wings for fore-limbs as well?
And hey, I remember Horntail from Goblet of Fire too had wings as fore-limbs. I don't think now, that it's a new-design really.

(The only quadruped dragon I remember is the one in the 3rd Narnia film. I have issues with how the design looked, but the 6-limb animation never looked fake in the least. )
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

From what I recall, the argument against quadraped dragons also applied to the Fell Beasts. Namely, that there are no 6 limbed mammals or reptiles to use as a model, and that as such the mechanics of the skeleton and musculature would be invented from whole cloth, which makes them less believable.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Alatar wrote:From what I recall, the argument against quadraped dragons also applied to the Fell Beasts. Namely, that there are no 6 limbed mammals or reptiles to use as a model, and that as such the mechanics of the skeleton and musculature would be invented from whole cloth, which makes them less believable.
I see the point. But does a lack of reference mean a lack of believability? I think with the proper use of physics (you would know better!) it could be done.
Afterall, the physics of the dragon in Narnia 3 looked realistic.
And then the WETA artists did have like, 1-2 years to work on Smaug?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A quite detailed article on Smaug at Digital Trends:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/bui ... z2uaL6XmNN
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

When I saw the wing walking I immediately thought of bats, which I have actually seen, rather than other movie creations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZC-qYDNVvc
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

narya wrote:When I saw the wing walking I immediately thought of bats, which I have actually seen, rather than other movie creations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZC-qYDNVvc
Yeah, that too. And I am only guessing, that the Jurassic Park-guys followed bat-movements to create pterodactyls. :D

ETA:

2 Wings, four limbs.
Gliding Lizard, better known as Flying Dragon and belonging to the genus Draco.
Yeah, not exactly wings but looks cool.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

This isn't really related to the film directly but since I would not like top start a new thread on this,

Article: http://www.canterburytimes.co.uk/Hobbit ... story.html

It is just one of the prime reasons why I like PJ so much, as a human being, no matter what I say about his films (though arguably, I say much less than most of the others. ;) ) How much he understands Tolkien's themes is perhaps debatable, but he is true to the JRRT's vision concerning friendship and fellowship.
Voronwë the Faithful

Nice.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Cool! There's no denying SPJ is a really decent bloke... :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I also think PJ's a great guy.
Voronwë the Faithful

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

That's very decent indeed. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Another DoS VFX video...

http://youtu.be/jTdWDvIyofA
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes