Fan Fiction

Seeking knowledge in, of, and about Middle-earth.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Fan Fiction

Post by Alatar »

I've never really got into the whole Fan Fiction thing, but I've read a few nice pieces, including one by Truehobbit. I just came across this today, though. Its unusual in that its Fanfic by a well known author, which is what attracted me in the first place.

This was written by Marion Zimmer Bradley when she was younger, as is mentioned in the Wikipedia article.
Bradley took an active role in science-fiction and fantasy fandom, promoting interaction with professional authors and publishers and making several important contributions to the subculture. In 1966, Bradley became a cofounder of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and is credited with coining the name of that group. In the 1970s, as part of the contemporary wave of enthusiasm for J. R. R. Tolkien's fictional world of Middle-earth, she wrote two short fanfic stories about Arwen and published them in chapbook format; one of them, "The Jewel of Arwen", also appeared in her professional anthology The Best of Marion Zimmer Bradley (1985), although it was dropped from later reprints.
http://www.timelineuniverse.net/MiddleE ... fArwen.htm
I really like this one. I think its well written and captures the characters well, and also does a nice job of matching Tolkien's writing style.

http://www.timelineuniverse.net/MiddleE ... fArwen.htm
This one is a little more ambitious, and I think she pulls it off pretty well, right up until her attempt to explain black breath as radioctive isotopes. ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for bringing this up, Al. Not surprisingly, the publication of these stories has caused a bit of controversy in some quarters. I haven't read them, so I can't comment on their quality.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Not bad. I sorta liked the first one, but it was a bit repetitive. She caught the flavour of the thing quite well.

That was something I just could not do. I wrote reams and reams and reams of fanfic but it never read like that.
Dig deeper.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Someone linked to those stories some years ago on TORC, and I already read them then. They were surprisingly much in spirit with the LOTR.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Snowdog

Re: Fan Fiction

Post by Snowdog »

Expanding this topic some, I have found with the closing of the Henneth Annun site's active fanfic repository, that Many Paths to Tread is a wonderful site to read and share one's Middle Earth fanfic.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Snowdog

Re: Fan Fiction

Post by Snowdog »

I see that Many Paths To Tread is offline. Sad.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins