America Alone: from demographics to the fall of Europe

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Túrin Turambar

America Alone: from demographics to the fall of Europe

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This may be the first of a series of posts on some controversial recent books on various topics.

I’ve just finished reading America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It by Canadian-British-American writer Mark Steyn, whom the blurb of the book identifies as the most popular conservative columnist in the English-speaking world. Steyn argues that, based on current demographic and political trends, the next century will see western decline and Islamic ascendancy, and a twilight of western liberal, democratic and secular values. The argument is nothing new, having been made in some form or another in books like Bat Ye’or’s Eurabia: The Europe-Arab Axis, Pat Buchanan’s The Death of the West and Tony Blankley’s The West’s Last Chance: Will We Win the Clash of Civilisations?. But it has probably attracted the broadest interest, probably through Steyn’s already-high profile and his sardonic and entertaining writing style.

I have a great many criticisms of the book, but I’ve always been interested in macro-history and I find the basic argument interesting even if not entirely persuasive. Surprising things can and do happen – for example, would someone living in 1910 have thought that the next decade would have seen the collapse of the Turkish, Austrian, German and Russian Empires and the establishment of a massive communist state in Eurasia? So let’s look at the scenario.

Steyn basis his argument on three claims – Muslim populations in Europe are increasing much faster than non-Muslim ones through immigration and high birthrates, political Islam (Islamism) is spreading around the world’s Mosques and Madrassas courtesy of projects funded by Saudi oil money and groups like Hizb ut-Tahrir, and comatose western nations suffer from a lack of ‘civilisational will’ and cannot integrate rapidly-growing cultural minorities for lack of anything to integrate into. This final point is too overlaid with the usual right-wing talking points for my liking (eg. “The state has gradually annexed all the responsibilities of adulthood - healthcare, childcare, care of the elderly - the point that it's effectively severed its citizens from humanity's primal instincts, not least the survival instinct […] The continent has embraced a spiritual death long before the demographic one.”) but the first two more or less make the argument on their own.

Here’s a lengthy excerpt from the book from Maclean’s Magazine around the time of its release.

Steyn begins his demographic argument with a discussion of fertility rates. It takes about 2.1 births per woman for a society to have a stable or increasing population (ie. one for the mother, one for the father, and 0.1 for accidents, disease and other factors). With the exception of the United States (which has about 2.1 births per woman depending on whose figures you use) every western democracy has a fertility rate below replacement rate. Some (Greece, Spain, Italy) have fertility rates below 1.3, which Steyn says is the ‘lowest-low’ fertility rate from which no society has recovered (I’d like to find more out about this – I haven’t read it in other sources).

This causes an aging population, and places a strain on government revenue – one taxpayer has to take on an increasing pension and healthcare burden for the elderly. Therefore, the solution that European countries have adopted according to Steyn is to bring in immigrants from countries with high birthrates. These tend to be in North Africa and the Middle East, and so the resulting immigrants are often Muslim. And they tend to have high birthrates even in Europe – Steyn cites the figure that the average fertility rate for non-Muslims in the E.U. is 1.4, while for Muslims it is 3.5. That, combined with continuing immigration and conversion, sees Europe becoming increasingly Muslim. Steyn suggests it will do so very quickly – within one or two generations.

His critics are not so sure. From Johann Hari:
To fulfil his headline predictions, Steyn needs to turn 20 million European Muslims into more than 200 million European Muslims - in just 13 years. Only Fallacci's rats could reproduce so rapidly. Steyn even admits that the history of demographic predictions is hysterically inept, noting that "most twenty-year projections... are laughably speculative, and thus most doomsday scenarios are too" - before offering his own.
Europe's real demographics are described in a similar book by a slightly more scupulous author. Tony Blankley, editorial page editor of the Washington Times and DC grande dame, last year wrote 'The West's Last Chance' predicting an enfeebled Europe would collapse before the Muslim hoardes. But after studying the figures, he admitted: “For almost every Western European country, their populations do not even begin to decline until at least 2025... In fact, for the next few decades, they continue to go up, even without any new immigration… The numbers only begin to move decidedly down about fifty years from now.” So for Steyn's predictions to hold true, the current Muslim birthrate needs to hold steady through five decades of life in the West, all Muslims have to become communitarian Islamists bent on sharia law, and there must be no natalist policies from European governments in the meanwhile.
Perhaps sensing this groaning crack in the foundation of his argument, Steyn adds hastily: "It is not necessary, incidentally, for Islam to become a statistical majority in order to function as one. At the height of its power in the eighth century, the 'Islamic world' stretched from Spain to India yet its population was only minority Muslim." But they were - a fairly obvious difference - not electoral democracies, where any group has to command a majority to rule.
There have been various demographic projections done, many of which are summarized on Wikipedia here.

The second aspect of Steyn’s argument concerns the spread of Islamism among Western Muslims. In particular, he points the finger at Saudi Arabia, which is using its oil money to fund extreme mosques and madrassas throughout the world. Without it, Steyn argues, the militant Wahabist interpretation of Islam behind Al-Qaeda and its affiliates would be nothing more than a fringe movement in the Arabian desert. Islam is being reformed, but in a more conservative rather than progressive direction. He uses the Abaya, or traditional Saudi women’s costume, as an example. He cites cases of western Muslim women of non-Arab backgrounds adopting the garment, claiming it is a demonstration of the strict Saudi interpretation of Islam winning out over traditional South Asian, African or Indonesian/Malay practices. While he does not deny that moderate Muslims exist, he says that they lack any sort of institutional support. He cites The Trouble With Islam by Canadian-Muslim feminist Irshad Manji in support of his argument – I’ve read her book myself some years ago and found it very interesting.

Still, the views of Western Muslims are almost impossible to quantify. To cite another critical review, by Rayyan Al-Shawaf:
In general, Steyn does well to take Islamists' threats seriously. Unfortunately, he also seems to believe their propaganda. The author intersperses informative discussion of European demographic changes with alarmist predictions, often quoting swaggering Islamist provocateurs, who routinely inflate their communities' figures and clumsily depict all Muslims as united against a common infidel enemy. The facts differ. Muslims make up all of 2.8 percent of the population of the United Kingdom, 6 percent in The Netherlands, 6 percent to 7 percent in France and 4 percent in Germany. Half of the Muslims in France and an even greater percentage in Germany do not even enjoy citizenship and cannot directly influence the political process. France — the unfortunate butt of many of Steyn's gibes — actually takes the continental lead in insisting on Muslim assimilation; this is, after all, the nation that banned the Islamic headscarf from public schools. In Germany, any attempt by Islamists at fashioning a monolithic Islam would be undercut by the fact that a significant minority of Turks — the largest component of Muslims in Germany — are Alevis, a heterodox sect with no outward religious manifestations.

So I’m not convinced either way. Naturally, the decline of birthrates in the west must have significant demographic consequences for the entire world, as a larger and larger proportion of the world’s people are African, Arab, Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi. And Europe will certainly be more racially diverse as a result. But will we live to see the banner of the Caliphate flying over Paris, Madrid, Rome and London? What about Warsaw? Poland has a very small Muslim population, a higher-than-average-for-Europe birth rate and is doing fairly well, and isn’t mentioned in the book. And what about the changes in other parts of the world? By 2050, India will be, if not a superpower, a wealthy and powerful country with some 300 million or more educated and westernized people – a powerful counterweight to any putative Caliphate.

As a final note, here’s a very in-depth interview with Mark Steyn by two professors of UC Berkeley (of all places!): Conversations with History: Mark Steyn
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

First, I'm not sure why this is a bad thing... providing people retain their freedom (which might be the problem).

Certainly it's a problem for other religions, but the various states are generally considered to be secular, are they not?
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I agree with hal, as long as states consider themselves as secular, am fine. Sounds like fear-mongering to me; I have heard similar discussions in India too - citing Hindu and Muslim birthrates.

But discussing just the book - does he say anything about China, L_M? The way you make the point about India?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Why no mention of the US?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

yovargas wrote:Why no mention of the US?
I think the implication of the thread title is that the US Isn't quite experiencing this yet... and yet is the operative word.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:Why no mention of the US?
The U.S. still has a birthrate around replacement levels, even though it's falling. Steyn argues that the U.S. is in danger of similiar decline, but not to the same degree as Europe. He also believes Americans have higher morale, fewer social programs to absorb taxpayers money and more hours worked per worker leading to higher productivity. He also argues that the U.S. is better at integrating immigrants than Europe - there is an 'American dream' that all people regardless of culture and religion can aspire to, but no equivalent 'French dream' or 'Belgian dream'.
Mahima wrote:But discussing just the book - does he say anything about China, L_M? The way you make the point about India?
A fair bit - I'll find some quotes when I have more time. He doesn't believe that China is going to be as significant in the future as many other commentators suggest.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I think it is a fair thing to say that if your birth rate is 1.3, your population will shrink (and 'age') considerably. No argument there.

It is also fair to note the immigration patterns - who, precisely, is immigrating to Europe? [While I guess the answer is 'not the Chinese' - aren't there Indians who emigrate to Europe in significant numbers?]

So, yes, you can argue for this trend - more Arab Muslims, fewer Europeans. And in a couple of generations, that difference will be more significant.

Assimilation is a tricky thing, though. It's very difficult to predict how the original culture will be preserved by a third-generation immigrant family. Certainly, it doesn't vanish instantly. The children of the first immigrants may learn to speak the native language 'without an accent' (I realize everyone has an accent...), but are quite likely to understand their own language as spoken by their parents (though they may not speak it themselves). I think it is common to marry within their own ethnic group and retain the religion and other key cultural customs of their parents...while losing some others. And, again, not everyone...some individuals assimilate more. So, their children...are the grandkids of the immigrants. They're likely exposed to the culture - eat the food, practice the religion...but maybe have lost some more key aspects of it. For instance, do they still speak the language? Do they wear the clothing of the country they were born in, or of their heritage, or a mix? Are their traditions part of daily life, or only something that crop up for weddings and funerals?

Certainly, immigrants can retain their culture over several generations, especially if they have schools to help pass on language and religion to their children, and communities of their own. Also, rejection on the part of the dominant culture leads to more solidarity within the minority group. If no native would be caught dead marrying the newcomer...then not surprisingly, they are going to continue to marry within their own people.

But it would be...simplistic...to assume that generations spent in another nation will have no effect on a group of people. Western Europe is, by and large, fairly secular. It is quite likely that while feeling no need to convert away from Islam, the grandchildren of immigrants will be fairly integrated into European society. Or not. Who knows? I realize that my experience of the melting pot of America is different from Europe, of course.

My ancestors came to the US about 120 years ago, from Ireland and Bavaria, mostly. My last name and my religion are probably most of what I have retained of that cultural heritage -- everything else is mostly gone.

I don't think there is any reason to conclude that Western Civilization is collapsing due to outside forces. If it's going to collapse, it will be from within, and whoever fills the vacuum will be doing just that. To say that Muslims are going to aggressively take over Western Europe while the Europeans are powerless to defend themselves? Probably not so much.

(Poland is left out because Eastern Europeans are almost always neglected when Westerners look at European history :P)

But again, who can predict what the world will look like 100 years from now?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Good post, MithLuin.

There is one thing, however, that I think is dangerous to our pluralistic societies in Canada and the US: public funding of private religious schools.

It is only in the past 20 years or so that public funds in BC went to religious private schools - the argument in favour of it being that a student costs (for the sake of argument) $100 of taxpayers' money at public school but only $50 at a private school.

I feel very strongly that tax money should go only to public schools. If parents want their children to get a religious education, that's peachy but I don't see why I should pay for it.

I don't know how common this is in the US, if at all, but it is common in Canada and I believe in parts of Europe.

Big mistake.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I don't think it happens here, though it may vary by state. I know I've heard it strongly debated about at least. I'm pretty sure I support it.
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Support public funding of private schools?
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Yes. :) Or put differently, allowing people to use the education funding they get for whatever educational system they choose.
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Strongly disagree.
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

yovargas wrote:Yes. :) Or put differently, allowing people to use the education funding they get for whatever educational system they choose.
What if the school is a Saudi-funded Madrassa run by Mohammed bin Jihad and preaching the interpretation of Islam favoured by Al-Qaeda? Or, for that matter, something like the Bob Jones University that is openly creationist, anti-gay, and until very recently, anti-interracial dating?
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

In the US, the idea is generally proposed as 'vouchers' - that the parent can choose which school to send the kid to, and that school gets the funding. While certainly religious schools tend to be thrilled by this idea, the main goal is to allow for choice within the public school system - so that a parent can send a kid to a school other than the assigned geographic one. I'm pretty sure the teachers' union (a public school phenomena) universally opposes this measure.

I have heard it debated, but I don't know of a state that has adopted vouchers. Doesn't mean it hasn't/won't happen.

Generally, the gov't funds very small portions of the education of children in private (including religious) schools. For instance, some textbooks are provided by the state (in some states) and (universally) the free and reduced lunch program is for all children, not just those attending the public schools. Also, a student who qualifies for additional services (such as speech therapy) would be offered these services regardless of whether or not enrolled in the local public school.

Some private schools would be very hesitant to accept gov't money, since it almost always comes with strings attached. It would depend what the strings were, of course.

I know I referenced schools preserving language and culture (and religion) in my post. I wasn't suggesting that the gov't should fund such schools, but rather that where such schools were available, it would be more likely that future generations would retain knowledge of their culture. I was actually assuming that this is something the immigrant community would set up and pay for, since it would (presumably) be important to them. I wasn't just thinking of a Catholic school system, either, but also of Hebrew school or Greek school, which is often supplemental to a public school education. Many Christians who send their kids to public school also send them to Sunday school (for all the good that does...though I digress).

My religious school is funded by the local businesses who hire our students and other grants and donations. Parents pay a tuition, but they aren't paying anywhere near a significant portion of their child's education. I like this model, but it's unique for a reason.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

vison wrote:Strongly disagree.
Most people do. :kiss:
-The Decemberists

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

In the year 1450 if you were to ask the informed observer who was more likely to rule the world, he'd have a hard time choosing between Islam and China.

In the year 1550 if you were to ask the informed observer who was more likely to rule the world, he'd have a hard time figuring out how Europe could be stopped from ruling the world.

It took 500 years but the cycle has turned back. Ever since 1914, when Western Civilization put a gun to its head and pulled the trigger. Europe declined first, and now the USA is in decline, just a few steps behind.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Yep, Europe was a pretty backwards place, full of uncivilized barbarians back in the day ;). I'd say it took about a millennium to recover from the fall of the Roman Empire.

But it did recover. ('How the Irish Saved Civilization' and all of that)

China...has done a very good job of convincing its people that the government is going to screw them and there's nothing they can do about it. For a very, very long time, this has been true.... I mean, lots of governments do things to screw over their citizens, but people in other places at least get angry about it.

If the Chinese ever 'wake up and find that they are strong'...well, the world doesn't have much of a chance. They have people, they have resources, they have money....
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

You say thatlike it's a bad thing. :scratch:
Dig deeper.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Just returning to post a link to Steyn’s article on China as promised. Basically he suggests that China’s authoritarian government, overregulated economy and demographic issues (aging population from state-enforced low birth rates and serious and growing male-female imbalance) will hobble it.

While that’s true, China’s economy is growing, its citizens are demanding more freedom as they get richer, and I can’t see where else a modernizing nation of 1.2 billion could go except superpower status. What it will do with it is the big question, particularly if India continues to follow suit.

It does seem likely that Europe will decline in importance over the next hundred years no matter what happens to it. But, to an extent, ‘Anglosphere’ ideas like parliamentary democracy, common law and the English language are preserved in India, and the U.S, Canada, Australia and New Zealand don’t seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. So no matter how powerful China becomes I can’t see the next century being a ‘Chinese’ one.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

vison wrote:You say thatlike it's a bad thing. :scratch:
Giving their human rights track record.... I would say, yes.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude