President Obama: What's next?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: President Obama: What's next?

Post by yovargas »

While I appreciate Obama coming out and making a really strong statement about plans he'd like to get done, I don't really get what the point of a bunch of wishful thinking that has zero chance of becoming laws and I don't much like him making all these aggressively left-ist proposals while still throwing out rhetoric about not narrowing political divisions and whatnot.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

While many of the things that he proposed have no chance of becoming law in the short term, he is helping to set the debate for 2016 and beyond. I'm pretty sure that we will hearing a lot of the phrase "Middle-class economics" in the coming years.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Right. I think he's pushing a lot of these fat-chance proposals simply so Republicans will have to go on record as opposing them.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Which is fine, I guess, even if it's mostly just empty political theater. But don't do that while also talking about closing political divisions or whatever. It comes off disingenuous, IMO.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, he wasn't able to close political divisions by moving right and ticking off all but the most conservative Democrats; that wasn't enough to interest Republicans in Congress in working with him, and he lost a lot of his own support. I don't blame him for choosing to play to his strengths.

And, it's time (long past time IMO) for Democrats to start emphasizing progressive policies and underscoring their differences from the GOP. Most of those policies are extremely popular, and not just with Democrats. There's a presidential election next year. Now is definitely the time to start defining the differences between the parties.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

IAWPB
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Primula Baggins wrote:Well, he wasn't able to close political divisions by moving right and ticking off all but the most conservative Democrats; that wasn't enough to interest Republicans in Congress in working with him, and he lost a lot of his own support. I don't blame him for choosing to play to his strengths.
I don't either. I'm just saying he shouldn't say he's still trying to work with Reps if the truth is clearly he finally gave up on that.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

He hasn't completely given up on working with Republicans, nor should he. In one area he has more in common with the GOP congressional contingent than that of the Democrats: trade. And there is so overlap in other areas. For instance, there are similarities in the ideas that he has about expanding the earned income tax credit with those of GOP senator (and perpetually thirsty potential presidential candidate) Marco Rubio.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

He's saying he'll still work with Republicans because he is. If anyone thinks (or hopes) that NO legislation is being discussed between the White House and the GOP-led Congress, they're in for a surprise/ rude awakening. Laws will pass these next two years, oftentimes with direct participation from the White House, and some of those laws will be significant.

And I also don't think much of what Obama is proposing is very leftist. He's interested in working with the GOP on climate change policy, for example, and there's nothing ideological about it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

According to Gallup, Obama's approval rating have returned to 50% for the first time since 2013.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Obama's speech at the Edmund Pettis Bridge in Selma today was one for the ages. Stirring, powerful, and challenging.

Here is a full transcript:

http://time.com/3736357/barack-obama-se ... ranscript/

Here's the full speech on YouTube, about 33 minutes. If you have the time and interest, this is well worth seeing for yourself.

http://youtu.be/NVAZp1j0tKc
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

It was, indeed, an impressive speech.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He was immediately preceded by Rep. John Lewis, who was beaten almost to death on that bridge 50 years ago and whose speech was brief but impassioned. I though it wasn't going to be good for the president to follow him; but this wasn't cerebral "Mr. Spock" Obama. This was the Obama who moved me to tears in '04, and for whom I joyfully voted in '08.

And it wasn't moving because of his rhetorical gifts; it was moving because what he said was palpably true, and he said it without hesitation. How often does that happen?
Voronwë the Faithful

This is a good article in the NY Times about the framework agreement reached with Iran regarding their nuclear program, and what it says about our President Obama. I think in many ways that this is a defining moment for him. Though I can so easily see this potential breakthrough being completely wasted by the recalcitrant Congress.

A Foreign Policy Gamble by Obama at a Moment of Truth

Edited to add: Here is a fairly detailed description of why this is a good deal (details which I doubt that critics of the deal will note):

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/2/8337347/iran-deal-good
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I suspect that Congress will do whatever Netanyahu wants them to do.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

To paraphrase Joe Biden, this is another BFD, even if it doesn't get much attention with all the other big news recently:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... me-policy/

I hope (and believe) that it goes through without any major adjustments. This will definitely help low to middle income people who need it.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I do hope it goes through.

The more I reflect on Obama's policies the more I like his presidency.

---------------
GNU Terry Pratchett
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It never seemed to me that he was doing everything he could to advance "progressive" goals like helping workers and making life better for the non-rich. And some of his accomplishments I would describe as anti-progressive, such as the recent trade deal and his record on domestic spying and torture. But it's true that a list of what he's been able to get done so far does include a lot of things that make a difference. They aren't all as big as the ACA, and some of them went by under the radar, but they make an impressive total.

I have liked most of what I've seen since his evident epiphany that he was never going to make bipartisan history working with the GOP in Congress, and so he should stop letting their wishes influence his words and actions—and certainly stop conceding vital points to them before negotiations begin. He still almost never got a deal, and sometimes that was a good thing.
Voronwë the Faithful

Remember this:

The world is a slightly safer place today.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The world is a slightly safer place today.
As compared to April 2007 when Senator McCain sang that tune? On most accounts, definitely not.

As compared to a potential McCain presidency? Maybe – maybe not.