Prayer Thread

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Prayer Thread

Post by JewelSong »

I thought that it might be a nice idea to have a prayer thread...a place where people could post concerns or joys so that others could lift them in prayer, if so inclined.

I realize that not everybody prays, per se...but even for those who don't, I think it's nice to know that if there is a concern or joy, people are sending energy or good thoughts your way.

So...here it is. The Hall of Fire Prayer Thread. :love:

ETA: This is not a thread for discussion of the purpose or effectiveness of prayer, as I think that should be a different kind of thread!
Last edited by JewelSong on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What a wonderful idea, Jewel! :love: I have long thought of starting a thread like this. :)

Here are two that I often think of, say, or sing (or listen to).

Lord give me strength
To face another day
To make it along life's road
Carry my heavy load
Give me strength oh Jah to carry on
Oh, my Lord.

And from the same source:

Let me be a little kinder
To the brother that is weaker
Let me learn to serve you Jah-Jah
As I journey along life's way

Let me be a little stronger
When temptation makes me waver
Let me learn to serve you Jah-Jah
As I journey along life's way
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A beautiful idea, Jewel. I don't want to bring a discussion of what prayer is and what it means to all of us into this thread, because I hope that it will be a source of strength and comfort, but I would like a thread like that

I have posted the healing prayer before, but I want to re-post it here. This is the prayer I say every day, thinking of Vison and Prim and others among my friends who are faced with illness.

May the One who blessed our ancestors, bless my friends along with all of the ill among us. Grant insight to those who bring healing, courage and faith to those who are sick, love and strength to us and to all who love them. God, let your spirit rest upon all who are ill and comfort them. May they and we soon know a time of complete healing, a healing of the body and a healing of the spirit and let us say: Amen.

And here's a bit more:

Introductory prayer
I gratefully thank You, O living and eternal King, for You have returned my soul within me with compassion—abundant is Your faithfulness!

Prayer for the body
Blessed are You, our Eternal God, Creator of the Universe, who has made our bodies in wisdom, creating openings, arteries, glands, and organs marvelous in structure, intricate in design. Should but one of them, by being blocked or opened, fail to function, it would be difficult to stand before You. Wondrous Fashioner and Sustainer of life, Source of our health and our strength, we give you thanks and praise.

Prayer for the soul
My God, the soul which You have placed within me is pure. You have created it, You will one day take it from me and restore it to me in time to come. So long as my soul is within me, I make acknowledgment before You, my God and God of all generations. Blessed are you, God who restores my soul each day that I may once again awaken.

A Prayer
You are mighty, Lord, who brings healing to the sick,
You are great in granting salvation,
providing the living with sustenance, with lovingkindness,
caring for the sick with great mercies,
supporting the fallen, healing the sick,
releasing the captive,
and keeping faith with those who are lost among the living,
Who is like you, Master of mighty acts, and who compares to you,
King who restores health, and causes salvation to sprout,
You who are faithful, comforting the ill among us,
Blessed are You, Lord who heals the sick.

Prayer for healing
Hear my prayer, O Lord, heed my plea for mercy.
In time of trouble I call You, for You will answer me.
When pain and illness are my companions, let there be room in my heart for strength.
When the days and nights are filled with darkness, let the light of courage find its place.
Help me endure the suffering and dissolve the fear; renew within me the calm spirit of trust and peace.
We praise you, O God, Healer of the Sick
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm a bit confused.

Is this thread for discussion of prayer, for sharing written prayers or for posting requests for prayer?

Any direction is fine with me. Just seeking a little clarification.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I think it's for any and all of those purposes, WampusCat.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

WampusCat wrote:Is this thread for discussion of prayer, for sharing written prayers or for posting requests for prayer?
Actually, I started it with the thought that people could share and/or request prayers for joys, sorrows and etc...

I didn't really intend it as a discussion of what prayer IS, as I think that should be for a different sort of thread.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Sorry, Jewel. :oops:
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

No problem, Cerin. I clarified it in the first post. ;)

JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

My Danish friend from TORC (screen name is Parmamaitë) is worried sick about his brother and his brother's family. Seems his brother has been in a kind of depression for about a year - due to the break-up of his marriage and also the hospitalization of the oldest son for schizophrenia.

Now his brother has disappeared - he has been missing since last Sunday. Not shown up for work or to take his sons as scheduled. No one has heard from him and a missing person's report has been filed with police.

Of course, you hope for the best - that brother just needed some time to himself and boy, will he catch it when he returns. But Parma is beside himself with worry and thinking of everything that could have happened.

So, I would ask for your prayers for Parmamaite, his brother and all involved.

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Thanks for letting us know, Jewel. We will certainly bend our Hope in his direction.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes, Jewel! :( I hope there is good news soon.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Here is the link to Parma's thread on TORC about it - if any of you are members there and would care to post a message to him:

Thread on TORC

themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

I know I just joined today but my Mothers friend was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last april and she had a hysterectomy and chemo which seemed to work, but a few months later she has tumors attached to her stomach and it doesn't look good. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers as she undergoes a new type of chemo :(
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

themary, you don't need any seniority to ask for prayers! :D

We will certainly add our prayers for your Mom's friend.

My daughter's father-in-law is in the same boat. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer and had a kidney removed last year. Now it has metastasized to his lung, not as a large tumor but as many tiny tumors containing a few cells each. Surgery is not an option, so they are trying first one of those cutting-edge growth hormone treatments. The odds really are not very good ... the cancer watch has got to be one of the toughest trials of our age, one knows so long in advance that this illness is coming, and medical treatment prolongs suffering as much as it prolongs life. Families who are going through this really, really need support and prayers.

Jn
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

themary, my prayers are with your mother's friend. And with Parma and his brother.

Jny, I will pray for your daughter's father-in-law. Your post gives me chills. My husband is going in for his first post-kidney-removal CAT scan in March. Prayers for him are appreciated, also. He's becoming more nervous as the time approaches.

I ask your prayers for me for a far less fearful reason. I am leading a retreat this weekend for a group of more than 50 women on encountering the sacred in everyday life. All support is welcome!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Praying for:
Parma and his brother and family
Themary's mother's friend
Jyn's daughter's father-in-law
WampusCat's hubby
And Wampus Cat - that her retreat leadership be a success! (Sounds like a wonderful topic for a women's retreat!)

Sometimes, for me, it helps to have a list! ;)

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Kitty, :hug: I really envy you that your connections bring the opportunity of something like leading a retreat. Although it's got to be a lot of work to plan.

Jn
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Jewel, that list is a great idea! Thanks!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Jnyusa wrote:Kitty, :hug: I really envy you that your connections bring the opportunity of something like leading a retreat. Although it's got to be a lot of work to plan.

Jn
Work? No kidding! It's filled every non-work, non-mothering minute for weeks. But it's something I love doing, so that makes it worthwhile. I'm lucky to get these opportunities.

:hug:
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

Thanks for the support all. I too am keeping y'all in my prayers as well :hug: