Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Jude »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:06 pm Not good but, has anyone else noticed a deluge of VERY long ads on YouTube? Ads that run 30,40, 50 minutes, even over an hour? I like to support the content creators I appreciate and watch, but there is no way I have the time or inclination to sit through an ad that long. Especially as I have little faith there is any standard/fact check on whatever the heck it is they are selling/have to promote.
:shock: Are you sure? I can't imagine anyone would sit through that!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:42 pm
RoseMorninStar wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:06 pm Not good but, has anyone else noticed a deluge of VERY long ads on YouTube? Ads that run 30,40, 50 minutes, even over an hour? I like to support the content creators I appreciate and watch, but there is no way I have the time or inclination to sit through an ad that long. Especially as I have little faith there is any standard/fact check on whatever the heck it is they are selling/have to promote.
:shock: Are you sure? I can't imagine anyone would sit through that!
Oh yes. Quite sure. Yesterday I 'tuned in' to watch a live YouTube feed but the preceding ad was 50 some minutes so I clicked 'Skip', which I hate to do especially in that particular case as it's how they fund their project. Today I went to watch one of my regular 'news' type videos and there was an add that was 23 minutes long and then another video that had one which was about 45 minutes long. I didn't sit through any of them. I am aware that YouTube recently changed their ad model and I don't think creators can choose the type of ads any more.

Case in point: I just clicked on one of my subscribed channels and here is the ad counter (time for the ads to play) 29 minutes, 54 seconds--that is BEFORE one can watch the video they intend to watch. The video I intend to watch is less than 10 minutes in length! I wonder if it's intentional to drive some creators off the platform.
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 2.54.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 2.54.41 PM.png (117.13 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
And another:
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 3.08.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 3.08.36 PM.png (78.37 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Why would they want to drive anyone off the platform?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Jude wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:38 pm Why would they want to drive anyone off the platform?
I don't know if ad producers can choose the channels on which they wish to advertise, but let's just say if someone has a political agenda and they don't want certain channels to have a voice, they could consider it an incentive to annoy people (??) I have no idea if YouTube (like the new 'X' /x-Twitter/Elon) has a political bias. In the past few days I've been inundated with long ads ('infomercials') , there must be some reason for the sudden change.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is playing now in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. I have gone to it in person with my brother in the past (along with 100s of 1000s of other people) but it's much easier to see on line:
Currently: https://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/hsbtv/
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

narya, nice! I'm not a fan of country music, but I do enjoy some bluegrass. Some of that is not what I'd traditionally think of as bluegrass and leaned a little more rock, which is fine by me. :D

I watched 3 YouTube video's this morning totaling less than 1 hour and there were 7 ads over 30 minutes, one which was 19 minutes, one 8 minutes, plus several short ads of 3 1/2 minutes or less in length. I'm guessing it's an attempt to get people to subscribe ($14/mo US$) for an individual. I'd prefer to support individual creators since I don't watch a lot of different channels. Is everyone getting this?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Some creators have a patron page - if you prefer you can contribute to them directly and skip the ads.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yes, I'm aware of the patreon/patron pages to support creators (and have used it), but that doesn't generate the skipping of ads on YouTube. Our phone(landline, does not include cell phones)/internet/cable is already $287.00/mo. with no special channels. We need to do something about that.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Not me. I can stream YouTube videos on my smart TV, and watched a three part YouTube movie the other day. There were ads, but I could skip them after the first one, and they weren't very long - 30 to 60 seconds.

I don't get ads on YouTube on my computer, but I have AdBlock installed.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yes, I have AdBlock, and I could skip, and I do on one-off type content, but on channels I regularly watch and wish to support I hate to take away their source of revenue. I have also supported some of them in other ways (patreon, fundraisers, etc..) but it seems a clunky system. I recall the reason for paying for cable TV was so one didn't have ads, now there are commercials just like regular TV and additionally have to pay to watch. I don't mind a few ads.. but who has the time or inclination to watch ads that are 20,30, 40, 50+ minutes long? And most of it is not applicable or garbage.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Remember when, on the way to the Black Gate, Aragorn drew his sword and promised it that it wouldn't be sheathed until the whole thing was over? I wonder if Julie was thinking of that quote when she wrote this sketch.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

LOL. She's funny. Nice segue for the sponsor although I was afraid it was going to be for another type of 'help' :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Take a look at this very short Youtube clip from the end of "Baseball Bugs," a 1946 cartoon.

I guess I'd never seen that particular Bugs Bunny short before, because it was only today that I learned what should have been obvious to me: the Statue of Liberty was not originally green. In a New York Times essay on the "virtues of inauthenticity," dialectician John McWhorter today notes that from its unveiling until the early 1900s (and as shown in that cartoon), the statue was brown, just like a penny. You can read more about that here. In 1906 there was even talk of restoring it to its original hue.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I was a fan of The Monkees when I was in my teens. Every time I see a post about them on FB someone has to say they weren't a real band, didn't play their own instruments, yadda, yadda, yadda, totally ignoring the fact that two of them were already talented guitarists and songwriters before the foursome was brought together for the show, and the other two had considerable talent as singers and stage performers. Three of them also performed and toured as a group after the show ended.

Still, this piece managed to surprise me, as I don't ever remember hearing or seeing it before. It's a Spanish (Catalan) song from the 1500's about the Christ child and the Virgin Mary, with lovely vocal harmonies:

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Sunsilver wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:42 pm I was a fan of The Monkees when I was in my teens. ... Still, this piece managed to surprise me, as I don't ever remember hearing or seeing it before. It's a Spanish (Catalan) song from the 1500's about the Christ child and the Virgin Mary, with lovely vocal harmonies:
I've never heard the Monkees version before; thanks for sharing that! I know "Ríu, Ríu, Chíu" best in this version by the San Francisco men's chorus Chanticleer. Other highlights from that album include E La Don Don, O Come O Come Emmanuel, and the song that introduced me to their work when I heard it played on Cleveland's classical music station about 20 years ago, Franz Biebl's "Ave Maria". This is not the version from that album but a new recording they released to Youtube last month:

It would quite something to be in the middle of that circle!
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Thanks to this Youtube channel which compiles song snippets in lists of every record to reach #1, #2, #3, etc. on the U.S. Hot 100 chart from 1958 to 2023, I learned that "C'mon Marianne" and "Carrie Anne" successively peaked at #9 in 1967. (That's The Four Seasons and The Hollies, respectively.)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Lovely a capella harmonies - thanks for sharing!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Came across this while trying to memorize namárië

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

What a fascinating instrument.