Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:17 pm Oh, me too, Elegil!! :rofl

Edit: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, what an amazingly difficult piece of music! :help:
I think I'd be wanting to shoot the composer! :rofl:
It gives me Bugs Bunny flashbacks :rofl:
(especially the KEYSMASH bits)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Tom Jones - excuse me - SIR Tom Jones is currently on the panel for The Voice UK. Not surprisingly, he was asked to do one of his own songs. I have been following his career since I was a kid in the 1960's. He's 82 now, and still has that great big voice. And when you hear him explain the meaning behind this particular song, well, you may just need to have a tissue handy! :love:

I certainly needed one! :cry:

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Until I watched this 15 second video, I had no idea that Chris Pine was such a brilliant actor.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

More Fry & Laurie:

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This clip of "Billy Strings Presents 'Away from the Shire'" is fantastic. It starts at about the 5 minute mark.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I liked that! :)

I heard the below song recently on probably my favorite local radio station, which half the time is broadcast out of a high school on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay, and the other half is simulcasting WXPN.

Voronwë the Faithful

Finally got a chance to listen to that. Very nice! It is described as classical guitar, but it is very much flamenco style, with an interesting percussion accompaniment (doumbek, I think).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thats super catchy.

I really liked this one too

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Voronwë the Faithful

OMG, the older white guy in the suit waving his arms in the air towards the end of "Are You Checking Me Out ... " cracked me up. Those are great!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

"Older white guy" is Ben Elton. The guy who wrote most of Blackadder and Queens We Will Rock You Musical. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Awesome! (And he is only a few years older than I am.)
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

An excerpt from Jeeves and Wooster to brighten your Monday:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Although they've been around for more than a decade, I never heard or even heard of Sleigh Bells before today:

Discovered courtesy of a tweet by political reporter Dave Weigel (formerly of the Washington Post, now at Semafor), who I'm sorry to report does not reply to emails, not even when you send him a link to John Rateliff's negative review of his book on prog rock.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I'd never heard of them either, NEB, but I quite liked that!
Snowdog

Re: Good music and other good stuff

Post by Snowdog »

Remembering back to my youth when Fleetwood Mac's lineup changed when Peter Green left. Went to a Seattle concert and I was close to the stage and I along with a lot of the crowd were reluctant that they could pull it off. There was a certain amount of heckling in the crowd because Jeromy Spencer had recently left. But they handled it quite well. They definitely had a foot into the old Green/Spencer days and a foot in the new with Bob Welch as guitarist and lead singer. Danny Kirwin along with Mick Fleetwood and John McVie were the bridging members, and to a certain extent, so was Christine McVie.

It was this beautiful back-up vocalist and keyboard player that caught my eye and ear. I decided they weren't as good as the 'old Fleetwood Mac, but I was willing to give them a try. That and 14 year old me fell in love with Christine that night! Now, fifty years later, I was yesterday years old when I found out that the local radio station KISW had broadcast it live and they recorded it! A guy shared the youtube link to the recording on facebook yesterday...

Rest in Peace Christine Perfect!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RIP, Christine!

Okay, maybe if I post this here, I'll be able to get rid of the earworm that's been playing in my head for the last 3 days!
Three days ago, I came across this old video of Roger McGuinn explaining how the Byrd's first big hit, Mr. Tambourine Man, evolved. The big surprise to me was finding out The Wrecking Crew did the backup instrumentation, while McGuinn played lead guitar. Carole Kaye, one of first and best known female bassists, was definitely playing with The Wrecking Crew at that time. She's an incredible lady, with an unbelievably long resume of mega-hits she's played bass guitar for. https://www.carolkaye.com/www/library/index.htm

All those hundreds of times listening to that recording over the years, and I had NO IDEA it wasn't the Byrds playing the music! :shock:

McGuinn is something else again. As I watched this clip, I realized there was something verrry strange about his acoustic guitar. If you look closely, you will see it has 7 strings, instead of 6! Apparently, he had it custom made, because the extra string made it possible to approximate the sound of a 12 string guitar with only 6 strings!

His favourite instrument for live performances is his electric 12 string Rickenbacker guitar. It has been customized with a compressor to give it McGuinn's trademark jingle-jangle sound. You can read about these two instruments here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_McGuinn

Anyway, here's two versions of the song, which is one of my favourites (thus the earworm :roll: ) The first features McGuinn soloing with his acoustic guitar. He first does the Bob Dylan version, which David Crosby didn't like, followed by the way it was done on the Byrd's record. The second is from a Roy Orbison tribute concert in 1990, and features a reunion of several of the Byrds former members, plus Bob Dylan! This really is some amazing stuff for any fans of 60's music. As one person commented, "When you can effortlessly improvise to bring harmony to Dylan's unique growling, you really are at the top of the tree."

If you want to listen to the first video, click on the arrow in the black screen, and it will open on YouTube. I guess it's blocked because I'm in Canada, or some dumb thing like that... :roll: If all else fails, here's the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCUEaV ... ogermonger

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

As I watched this clip, I realized there was something verrry strange about his acoustic guitar. If you look closely, you will see it has 7 strings, instead of 6!
I grew up around 7-string guitars. They were very popular in the Russian Empire and the USSR, and associated with Romani music. The 6-string guitars were considered Spanish.

The guitar was a super popular instrument because of its portability. Soviet government kept a lid on all means of reproducing creative and potentially subversive material, and people kept finding ways around it. I've read whole books that were 4th carbon copy retyped on a typewriter and then xeroxed.

Guitars allowed poetry to be performed to music, a genre known as bardic song. It was not usually political except that it didn't pass through censorship and therefore existed illegitimately. Songs passed ear to ear, and then magnetic tapes became available, and with them homemade recordings.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!