Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

Post by elengil »

I honestly don't get the mindset that on one hand says "all X are pedophiles and child rapists!" and on the other hand says "child rape? Pfft, that never happens..."

:nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:24 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:21 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:29 am Columbus Dispatch: "Ohio girl, 10, travels to Indiana to get an abortion because Ohio bans abortion at 6 weeks and she’s 6 weeks & 3 days pregnant."

That's right. They're trying to force 10-year-old girls to give birth.
Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler notes that this now widely-shared story (repeated even by President Biden) is thinly sourced. Kessler tried to follow up on it but nobody will talk to him. That doesn't mean the story is false. The forced-birth "side" has the advantage in situations like this because they oppose the right to privacy and would happily have this girl's identity shared widely.

The fact of the matter is that multiple Republican politicians in the wake of this story have said that yes, they would force a 10-year-old to give birth.
Ahem, from a Columbus Dispatch reporter today:

The Washington Post has updated its fact-check article accordingly.
Kessler's update notes that he contacted the child protective offices in multiple Ohio counties, most of whom said they had no records of this case. Turns out that the county that did have the records was the one that didn't respond to Kessler's inquiry. Hmm.

His update also includes this comment: "This is an interesting example of the limitations that journalists face in corroborating a story without evidence confirmed by law enforcement." As others are also asking: why does it take the police saying something happened to make it journalistically true?

Anyway, today Congressman Jim Jordan today deleted this tweet he sent just yesterday:

It's curious that Jordan had second thoughts about questioning allegations of rape.

I notice that Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost's Twitter feed yesterday (Yost having been cited by Jordan by way of the Washington Examiner) retweeted (and still has up) a tweet (similar to the Exmainer tweet) by frequent Trump defender and misbegotten lawyer Jonathan Turley, who went on to take a much more skeptical posture than Glenn Kessler had done. Turley is now spinning furiously to justify his initial response. (I also looked at the feeds of the first ten people to respond positively to Turley's feed. Only two of them have yet acknowledged today's story.)

Yost also said yesterday that this story "likely is a fabrication."

But the objections to the story are now shifting:

New objection #1: She didn't actually have to leave Ohio to obtain an abortion because Ohio's new law (which bans abortions at six weeks) includes exceptions for the life of the mother. And her request for an abortion was merely under an administrative hold while it was determined whether or not forcing a ten-year-old to give birth could in fact endanger her life. (So that makes it OK. Let her stay pregnant for a little longer! It will build character!)

New objection #2. The alleged rapist is apparently an illegal immigrant, so this isn't really about abortion anyway. It's about Joe Biden's failed immigration policies. (If he had only forced Mexico to finish building Donald Trump's wall, the girl never would have been raped in the first place. Why does Biden hate kids?)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Just this morning, the Wall Street Journal published an editorial titled "An Abortion Story Too Good To Confirm."

Mind you, the WSJ did not have a reporter at the hearing today that confirmed the abortion story.

And here's how website of the Fox affiliate in Cincinnati noted the correction (if you click on the image, you'll see it's below the picture below the headline):

They didn't have a reporter there either! Cincinnati is less than a two-hour drive.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The general counsel for the National Right to Live Committee, which is the nation's largest anti-abortion group, says that this ten-year-old girl should have given birth to her rapist's child:

"We would hope that she would understand the reason and ultimately the benefit of having the child. ... We don’t think, as heartwrenching as those circumstances are, we don’t think we should devalue the life of the baby because of the sins of the father."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So ten year-olds aren't that big. I'm not sure a kid that young could safely carry a pregnancy to term. There's just not that much space, and then how is a baby's head supposed to come through a child-size pelvis? Seems to me it's a guaranteed C-section (major abdominal surgery that involves tearing through the abdominal muscles and then slicing open the uterus, for those who need the anatomy lesson, and because it is major surgery the recovery time is much more extended than it would be for a vaginal birth). Humans are tricky in a lot of ways, one of them being the females are secretive about ovulation and the other being the ability to conceive is in no way correlated with full physical maturity. But by all means, let these extremist types carry on about fifth graders having babies via rape. The more they talk about this, the more we learn.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

A healthy 10-year-old girl is between 50 and 59 inches tall, and weighs 54 to 106 pounds. No, her body is not ready to bear a child.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Take a moment to process this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/texas-s ... ion-2022-7
Texas sues the Biden administration for requiring hospitals to perform abortions in medical emergencies
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

In other words, Texas's attorney general is awful.

So is Indiana's attorney general:

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

And people wonder why incest/rape victims don't come forward.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:x :x :x That's just...I have no words. At least not ones I can use in public!
How can they believe this is right?? :puke: :puke:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/republ ... -rcna38284

Republicans shocked a 10-year-old can get pregnant after Ohio rape victim abortion story proves true
The people making medical decisions for the country. :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The people making decisions about WOMEN'S health care: :x

(Okay, this was Trump's government, but it's not a lot different now.)
Attachments
Womens health care decision makers.jpg
Womens health care decision makers.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:40 pm In other words, Texas's attorney general is awful. So is Indiana's attorney general:

The Fox affiliate in Indianapolis reports that:

Abortion report confirms Indiana doctor followed law after AG vowed investigation

I think that makes Attorney General Todd Rokita even more awful, because he must have either seen that report or known that it existed before he slandered the doctor.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I think I read somewhere that she's lawyered up and filing suit. I think the Indiana AG is just a malicious, butt-hurt old man.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

The GOP is really doing its all to keep digging themselves into an ever-deeper hole with this one.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

As long as they're getting money and praise from their preferred people they won't care. Even grade schoolers are okay collateral damage for their nonsense.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And then when you think, ok, this is how bad this is, you realize that it's worse.

Pregnant Women Can't Get Divorced in Missouri
The RFT spoke to multiple lawyers who handle divorce proceedings and they all agreed that in Missouri a divorce can't be finalized if either the petitioner (the person who files for divorce) or the respondent (the other party in the divorce) is pregnant.
So an abusive husband can rape his wife to get her pregnant, and she wouldn't be able to leave him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Or if he tries to kill her, she can't be rid of him.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I guess it's a relatively common control tactic (getting a partner pregnant). :( If I'm not mistaken, even in California divorces cannot be finalized while a woman is pregnant. I find that.. mindblowing.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:19 am Or if he tries to kill her, she can't be rid of him.
Homicide is a top cause of maternal death in the United States
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!