Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
N.E. Brigand

Re: Will Roe v Wade be overturned? How do you feel about that?

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"We are entering an era not just of unsafe abortions but of the widespread criminalization of pregnancy ... [Even though] support for abortion has never been higher, with more than two-thirds of Americans in favor of retaining Roe, and fifty-seven per cent affirming a woman's right to abortion for any reason... Anyone who can get pregnant must now face the reality that half of the country is in the hands of legislators who believe that your personhood and autonomy are conditional -- who believe that, if you are impregnated by another person, under any circumstance, you have a legal and moral duty to undergo pregnancy, deliver, and in all likelihood, two decades or more of caregiving, no matter the permanent and potentially devastating consqeuences for your body, your heart, your mind, your family, your ability to put food on the table, your plans, your aspirations, your life."

(source: We're Not Going Back to the Time before Roe. We're Going Somewhere Worse (Jia Tolentino, New Yorker))

More: "Five years ago, Latice Fisher, a Black mother of three from Mississippi, who made eleven dollars an hour as a police-radio operator, experienced a stillbirth, at roughly thirty-six weeks, at home. When questioned, she acknowledged that she didn’t want more kids and couldn’t afford to take care of more kids. She surrendered her phone to investigators, who scraped it for search data and found search terms regarding mifepristone and misoprostol, i.e., abortion pills. ... There was no evidence that Latice Fisher took an abortion pill. She maintained that she had experienced a stillbirth—an occurrence in one out of every hundred and sixty pregnancies in the U.S. Nonetheless, she was charged with second-degree murder and held on a hundred-thousand-dollar bond. The district attorney, Scott Colom, had campaigned as a progressive reformer; advocates pushed him to drop the murder charge, and to provide a grand jury with more information about an antiquated, unreliable 'float test' that prosecutors had used as a basis for their allegation that Fisher’s baby was born alive. Fisher was eventually cleared of all charges; the ordeal took more than three years."

If someone claims to be "pro-life," they probably have a moral obligation to explain how they can support this sort of thing, the practical effects of their beliefs.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Cerin wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:26 pm
Dave_LF wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:12 pm A position with minority support imposed on the entire population against their will be a rapist appointed to the court by a president who attempted a violent coup
That isn't accurate. It was actually Roe that imposed a position on the entire population. This returns the question to the states, where the people have a voice.
Following today's decision, former Vice President Mike Pence, a Republican, called for Congress to enact a national ban on abortion.

But I'm sure he's just an outlier, and most Republicans will reject Pence's idea because that would take away the voice of the people in each state.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Less than two years ago, President Donald Trump mocked Joe Biden in a debate for Biden's claim that the status of Roe v. Wade was on the ballot.

Trump was technically right, inasmuch as it was already too late thanks to Vladimir Putin, James Comey, Jill Stein and others in 2016. The most important election of my lifetime had already happened.

But that's not how Trump meant it. He was trying to convince independent pro-choice voters that they stood to lose nothing by voting for him.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This is a useful discussion by Scott Lemieux of the role of the mainstream media in downplaying the possibility that today's decision could ever happen. Remember when Republican Senate candidate Cory Gardner mocked Democratic Senator Mark Udall as "Mark Uterus" because Udall said that a woman's right to choose was at stake if Gardner won? As Lemieux shows, too many pundits seemed to agree that Udall's concerns were misplaced. Well, Gardner won, and Democrats lost the Senate, and in his one term as a senator, Gardner voted for Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Dave_LF wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:12 pm A position with minority support imposed on the entire population against their will be a rapist appointed to the court by a president who attempted a violent coup
That isn't accurate. It was actually Roe that imposed a position on the entire population. This returns the question to the states, where the people have a voice.
There was only one clinic performing abortions in West Virginia. Today it cancelled the upcoming appointments of more than 60 women who needed its services.

What about their voices?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Noted in despite of the foregoing:

"Despair is poison. It deadens people when the most important thing they can do is proceed with more drive and force and openness than they have before."

(source: The Necessity of Hope: Things are bad. They will get worse. But despair has never been an option (Rebecca Traister, New York Magazine))
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Been thinking about this commenator's statement today that:

"The fastest way to destroy a Democracy is to delegitimize the judiciary. We are going to get through this and make it right. And until then, we will help women in the states that will impose bans."

What if Alito, et al. already delegitimized the judiciary?

And not all of us are going to get through this. Some women will die, despite efforts to help.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

This has not gotten less true with time

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:23 pm
Following today's decision, former Vice President Mike Pence, a Republican, called for Congress to enact a national ban on abortion.

But I'm sure he's just an outlier, and most Republicans will reject Pence's idea because that would take away the voice of the people in each state.
Soon, the filibuster might be the only thing standing in the way of that happening.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Not for long.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I would agree with this if the electoral system were truly reflective of the will of the people. As I see it, gerrymanders and the many methods of voter suppression that exist result in election outcomes that do not reflect the voices of all the people.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Cerin wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 pm
Frelga wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:16 pmThis is not about "life", this is about enforcing gender roles in the service of theocracy.

I've observed in recent years and can say without hyperbole that, in my view, the Left have no understanding of the Right; the above is a prime example. I don't doubt that this is what it looks like from your perspective, articulated in your mind, but it has no relation to the way the Right think about themselves and the world. I don't know what significance these misconceptions have, other than leading to increased rancor (and statements that would have the subjects ROFL if they ever saw them).

To those opposing abortion, this issue is about life, it is about the belief that a gestational-age human being is human, is alive, and that therefore taking that life is a grave moral issue. There are millions of people who view the gestational-age human being as of equal worth to the person walking down the street, and they (while not being evil, mentally-impaired, misogynistic or mendacious) are as distressed to know of these lives being ended as they would be to see the person walking down the street hacked to death while passers-by neither flinched nor interfered.

(I don't intend to argue the issue, but just to observe that, imo, the characterization is mistaken.)
Cerin, I agree with you that hyperbolic characterisations of those on the other side of any argument can dehumanise and sometimes demonise. That applies to both sides.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:49 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:23 pm

Soon, the filibuster might be the only thing standing in the way of that happening.
1. I'd still rather not have the filibuster, which encourages the status quo whether that is good or bad.
2. Republicans would probably get rid of it anyway to pass such a law now that the Court has ended Roe.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Has anyone ever brought a case opposing abortion restrictions on the grounds that they violate the 13th Amendment (which prohibits slavery and involuntary servitude) and the 8th Amendment (which prohibits cruel and unusual punishment)?

Forced birth really does seem like a kind of slavery.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Some commentators expect Republicans to renew their push for fetal personhood laws.

If such a law goes into effect, I imagine some pregnant women will sue to evict the squatters in their abdomens.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:05 pm Practically speaking, however, the best way to achieve this may be for Democrats should loudly be saying that if they get two more Senators and retain control of the House, they will carve out the filibuster to pass a national law providing for abortion rights for any reason in the first 15 weeks of pregnancy (this is supported by a clear majority of Americans) and in cases where the potential mother's life is in danger at any point.
This one is pretty large for an unplanned event:

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There are millions of people who view the gestational-age human being as of equal worth to the person walking down the street, and they (while not being evil, mentally-impaired, misogynistic or mendacious) are as distressed to know of these lives being ended as they would be to see the person walking down the street hacked to death while passers-by neither flinched nor interfered.
I saw reports that Wisconsin doctors will no longer offer cancer treatment during pregnancy. How do you feel about the lives of people condemned to die of cancer?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Frelga wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 pm Do you plan to address the death and suffering of post-birth humans that this decision will cause, or nah?
No, I don't plan to address those or any issues. My plan is to stay out of discussions. In this case, the urge to counter incorrect (as I saw them) statements overcame my better intentions.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:44 pm But many of those same people effectively stop caring about the unborn the moment they become born
This.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Cerin wrote:
Frelga wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 pm Do you plan to address the death and suffering of post-birth humans that this decision will cause, or nah?
No, I don't plan to address those or any issues. My plan is to stay out of discussions. In this case, the urge to counter incorrect (as I saw them) statements overcame my better intentions.
Thank you, this answers my question.