Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Roe v Wade has been overturned. How do you feel about that?

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There are some really depressing statistics especially in the area of abuse, murder.

I find proposed laws designed to criminalize travel.. horrifying. Handmaiden's tale sort of stuff.

Edited to add:
Ohio abortion, sexual violence statistics show disturbing likelihood of children being impregnated
2020, the most recent year for which statistics are available, 52 girls aged 14 and younger had abortions in Ohio, according to the state department of health. Thankfully, that number is down from an apparent high of 334 in 1998.

The health department was asked last week to provide a breakdown by age of 14-and-younger abortions performed in Ohio, but so far it hasn’t responded.

There’s even some evidence that in a single city — Columbus — it’s plausible that a 10-year-old has recently become pregnant. A review of the city’s police log since March 15 uncovered 59 reports of sexual assaults of girls 15 and younger that, based on the information available, could have resulted in pregnancy.
At 10, a child has likely not even lost their last baby teeth.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

"In Wisconsin, a woman bled for more than 10 days from an incomplete miscarriage after emergency room staff would not remove the fetal tissue."

That's from a Washington Post story examining the consequences of a post-Roe world in which doctors fear to take what used to be routine measures to protect women's health.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My sister had a miscarriage (medical term: spontaneous abortion) that was incomplete and she would have likely hemorrhaged without a procedure.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Women who were pregnant pre-Roe shared terrifying stories to the same theme.

Even in states that have exceptions to save a mother's life, it's interpreted as "mother is minutes from dying" and not "pregnancy poses an elevated risk." Not even with the footnote of "and has no chance of resulting in a live baby."

Eta: happened to my friend, too. It's not uncommon.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Both of my miscarriages were complete and uncomplicated, although heartbreaking. Spontaneous miscarriages are very common and I worry for women who will be accused, held up to suspicion and scrutiny, and possibly prosecuted, for such normal and common events.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Idaho's Republican Party held a convention this week at which they declared that "abortion is murder from the moment of fertilization" and that there should be no exceptions for rape or incest.

A few delegates were concerned about ectopic pregnancies and asked for an amendment to acknowledge abortion would be appropriate if the mother's life is in "lethal danger". That amendment lost 412-164.

I saw a word recently used to describe the modern Republican Party which I think is apt: "femicidal".
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

What I'm seeing a lot from conservatives in the past few weeks is the argument that if it saves the mother's life, it's not actually an abortion.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

But all of the recent hot-button topics -- rape, incest, and maternal health -- important as they are, are a distraction from the larger issue: slavery. Forced birth is slavery. The 13th Amendment to the Constitution thus outlaws all forced birth. Someday I think that will be generally understood. The decision to terminate a pregnancy, at any time, should be entirely in the hands of the pregnant woman (or girl) with advice from her doctor.

Roe v. Wade was a compromise position between that truth and the desires of many Americans that women should be slaves.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:02 pm What I'm seeing a lot from conservatives in the past few weeks is the argument that if it saves the mother's life, it's not actually an abortion.
They could have found this off-ramp decades ago. I wonder why they're suddenly interested. Is it because of that woman who almost bled to death during an incomplete miscarriage in Texas? Or did they finally notice that Ireland relaxed its rules after a woman died because doctors refused to finish off her incomplete miscarriage? Or are they just afraid that an American woman actually will die of a pregnancy complication for lack of appropriate obstetrical care before the mid-terms?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

None of the above. It's just a deflection, a flimsy excuse while passing laws that do little to nothing to protect the mother and a lot to endanger her.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Actually, that Texas case I was referring to was even worse than I stated:
Munoz said he faced an awful predicament with a recent patient who had started to miscarry and developed a dangerous womb infection. The fetus still had signs of a heartbeat, so an immediate abortion — the usual standard of care — would have been illegal under Texas law.

“We physically watched her get sicker and sicker and sicker” until the fetal heartbeat stopped the next day, “and then we could intervene,” he said. The patient developed complications, required surgery, lost multiple liters of blood and had to be put on a breathing machine “all because we were essentially 24 hours behind.’’
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I'm sure some of you will remember Cemthinae, who lost two of her sisters in a horrible collision with a tractor trailer. She is currently fostering two children, and since she and her husband qualify as 'fictive kin' - people who have a strong relationship with the children, but are not related to them by blood or marriage - they do not get any money for fostering. The same goes for relatives who foster children.

Safety of the kids is listed last in the foster system's motto.

Their state (Indiana) leads the nation for the most deaths of children due to abuse and neglect.

So much for 'pro life' folks! :x :x :x
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

River wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:04 pm
N.E. Brigand wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:02 pm What I'm seeing a lot from conservatives in the past few weeks is the argument that if it saves the mother's life, it's not actually an abortion.
They could have found this off-ramp decades ago. I wonder why they're suddenly interested. Is it because of that woman who almost bled to death during an incomplete miscarriage in Texas? Or did they finally notice that Ireland relaxed its rules after a woman died because doctors refused to finish off her incomplete miscarriage? Or are they just afraid that an American woman actually will die of a pregnancy complication for lack of appropriate obstetrical care before the mid-terms?
Honestly it's because now that it's illegal, they only have the consequences to face. Before they could turn a blind eye and scream about how many abortions were done on "perfectly healthy" pregnancies and call it a holocaust and get people to show up to clinics to abuse women getting mammograms, but now that all those rallying cries no longer apply, the only thing they have left are the 10 year olds forced to remain pregnant, 24-week pregnant women who desperately want their babies who are dying because it isn't a healthy pregnancy.

They didn't care about these news stories before because they either assumed it was just the "lies" of the left to keep abortion legal, or they thought it was such a vanishingly small possibility that it would never really come up, or maybe they were afraid if you allow even one small exception somehow doctors will manage to throw every case into the exception category, as if they can simply pick and choose what to classify medical procedures as.

Now they are witnessing real-time the fact that doctors CAN'T just make these decisions, they can't just lie, they can't just reclassify things to suit their needs. They are, in fact, stuck in situations where they are being legally forced to let a woman die because the law allows no exceptions.

Reality has hit too late.

Just like Trump lying - the truth was always there, but they were blind to it (again, for multiple reasons, but the result was the same)

They need the scapegoat to get their base all fired up to vote them in, in spite of their otherwise awful policies.

Honestly I feel that the Right's focus on abortion isn't even about controlling women, we know it certainly isn't about life or the welfare of children, it's literally just about getting votes on a topic that will draw voters.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No exception for life of mother included in Idaho GOP’s abortion platform language
Resolutions and platform officially adopted at Twin Falls convention

By a nearly four-to-one margin, Idaho Republicans at the state party’s convention in Twin Falls rejected an amendment to the party platform on Saturday that would have provided an exception for a mother who has an abortion to save her life. (...)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

This forum has been active for so long that some of the opinions offered here over the years now have an almost historical interest. Take this 2009 post from the "President Obama: What's Next?" thread, which I quote here for reasons that will become clear:
Faramond wrote: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:47 am
There were not 'many' filibusters of Bush court nominees, there was a well-considered handful against extremists, and that is not comparable to the constant misuse of the filibuster that Republicans engaged in in the last session.
Miguel Estrada, Priscilla Owen, Charles W. Pickering, Carolyn Kuhl, David W. McKeague, Henry Saad, Richard Allen Griffin, William H. Pryor, William Gerry Myers III, Janice Rogers Brown.

Ten nominees filibustered. I have heard that to a cat, any number higher than two is many. We're not cats around here, so the many threshold is likely higher, but I've never heard of ten not being considered many.

And --- of course it was well considered. It better have been, since filibustering was almost never used previously on court appointees. I am sure that most filibusters in history have been well considered. Even the bad ones, like the filibusters of civil rights legislation in the 60's. They had their reasons, their convictions, they thought about the consequences, and at the last they fought the horrible danger they saw before them with the filibuster. "Well considered" is not a passport to a moral path. It is only to say that they felt they were justified by their own standards. Which is saying almost nothing at all. Have the Republicans ever initiated a filibuster that was not misuse, by your understanding? What is the standard for calling a filibuster misuse?
Legislation does not and should not require a super majority to pass!
Legislation has always required something more than a simple majority to pass. It must get out of committee and survive amending and survive alternate version between chambers --- there are so many ways for a bill to die that don't involve that final vote. Most bills die without ever being voted on. This is the way it is, even though the Constitution makes no provision for all these other methods of killing a bill. Those barriers to passage that have nothing to do with obtaining the majority vote are a curse. And a blessing. It depends, you know?

The upshot of all this is --- Republicans are still bedeviling Democrats and the other good people of this country. Such power the Republicans have, even from beyond the metaphorical grave. 41 Senators and one Rush Limbaugh, and they have vexed all!

I would instead suggest that Republicans are irrelevant here. It is the bill that matters. The bill is bad. It is bloated. It is filled with bad spending and unaffordable tax cuts. Obama would do well to spend less time trying to be bipartisan and more time trying to hammer out a good bill. One with efficient, targeted spending that clobbers the deficit to the minimum extent possible. Until that happens I hope this bill fails. I hope Obama fails, even. Until he starts attempting to do the right thing. And I think he might. Or at least get closer.
Had a Democrat said that about Pres. Bush's attempts to take action in a national emergency, it would have rightfully been decried as treasonous.
Did you never agree with Bush's actions in a national emergency? Did you never hope that some of his proposed solutions during that emergency might fail? That he might fail, in effect? Gitmo was a response to the national emergency of 911. Was it treasonous to hope Bush failed to open and maintain it? When is opposition to a president treason? When does speech become treasonous and not protected?
The conventional wisdom nowadays is that the "bad ... bloated" stimulus bill that passed In 2009 was too small: it needed to be much larger to quickly ease the suffering caused by the Great Recession, from which the U.S. didn't fully recover until at least 2016. (Having learned that lesson perhaps too well, the Covid-19 relief bills passed by Congress in 2020 and 2021 may have been a little too generous, thus contributing something to the recent inflation -- which, however, is a global phenomenon not fully attributable to any one cause). But the reason I'm citing this post here is that it seems to be the only previous reference on these forums to Judge William Pryor, who is in that group of ten judges whose nominations were "filibustered" (in the modern sense by which the filibusterer is not obliged to actually filibuster) by Senate Democrats during the George W. Bush administration.

First, though, I'll pause to note that whether or not the ten Bush judges filibustered by Senate Democrats were properly considered "many" at the time, by 2013, President Obama had seen Senate Republicans filibuster 36 of his judicial nominees -- as many in four years as had been filibustered during the previous forty years. Expanding to all judicial and executive nominees, Obama had 79 blocked as comparted to 68 in total over the prior four decades: Senate Republican obstruction in the Obama administration was truly unprecedented. And that's why the Senate, under Harry Reid's leadership did away with the judicial filibuster (for all but Supreme Court nominees) in November of that year (something which was not mentioned in that thread, which has a gap from Dec. 2012 to Oct. 2014, although it might have come up in other discussions). But what about those ten judges? I'm not sure Senate Democrats should have filibustered all of them. Sometimes the reasons were ideological. Sometimes they were tit-for-tat in response to previous Republican actions. In what follows I lean a bit on Wikipedia.

Elena Kagan, during her Supreme Court confirmation in 2010, said that former Solicitor General Miguel Estrada had a "towering intellect" and was a "fundamentally decent person" who was "superlative[ly]" qualified for the appellate position to which Bush had nominated him nine year earlier. He was blocked for his strong conservative views and was never confirmed.

Priscilla Owen (now Richman) was blocked by Senate Democrats because the seat she was nominated to fill in 2001 had been open since 1997; during the intervening four years, Senate Republicans had refused to give a hearing to either of the people President Bill Clinton had nominated for that role -- rather as Mitch McConnell did to President Obama's Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland in 2016. She finally received a vote and was confirmed to the Fifth Circuit (where she still sits) as part of the "Gang of 14" compromise in 2005.

Despite having prosecuted Ku Klux Klan members in the early 1960s, Charles W. Pickering switched from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party in 1964 because he was upset at the "humiliation and embarrassment" his state of Mississippi suffered at the hands of pro-Civil Rights delegates at that year's Democratic National Convention. As early as 1976, he was pushing for a Constitutional amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade. Opposition to his Fifth Circuit appointment was widespread, but he did serve for a year on that court after President Bush made a recess appointment. Facing continued opposition to a permanent appointment, Pickering retired in 2004 at the age of 67.

It doesn't appear that Carolyn Kuhl did anything worse than facilitating some backwards but fairly standard conservative decisions while a part of the Department of Justice during the Reagan administration and to making one ruling as a Los Angeles County judge (where she still sits) that seems rather odious (perhaps more so now than in 2001): when a doctor let a drug company salesman observe an undressed patient's breast exam, Judge Kuhl ruled that because the woman didn't object to the man's presence at the time (though for all she knew, he could have been another doctor), she didn't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy." Creepy!

The nomination of David McKeague to the Sixth Circuit was held up for the same reason as Owen above: Republicans had blocked President Clinton from filling two seats on that circuit, which thus remained vacant until Bush became president. McKeague eventually was confirmed by a vote of 96-0 after the Gang of 14 compromise.

Ditto for Richard Allen Griffin, who was confirmed 95-0 in 2005 and still sits on the Sixth Circuit.

Henry Saad probably would have joined McKeague and Griffin on the Sixth Circuit thanks to the Gang of 14 compromise if he had not angered Senator Debbie Stabenow of Michigan by having sent an email in 2003 to a supporter in which he said of her, "This is the game they play. Pretend to do the right thing while abusing the system and undermining the constitutional process. Perhaps some day she will pay the price for her misconduct." Unfortunately, he accidentally copied that email to Stabenow's office. Oops!

I don't know why William Myers, whom Democrats opposed for what they described as his anti-environmental views, was not part of the 2005 compromise.

Janice Rogers Brown, who was seated on California's Supreme Court in 1994 despite having been rated "not qualified" by the state bar, was blocked by Democrats in 2003 due to her conservative opinions (she had referred to the New Deal as a "socialist revolution"), but was confirmed as part of the 2005 compromise and served on the D.C. circuit until 2017.

And that leaves William H. Pryor, who was blocked in 2003 for his far-right views (he argued in 1993 -- Wikipedia mistakenly says 2003 -- that decriminalizing homosexual activity would lead to the legalization of "prostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, incest and pedophilia"). In a twist of history, Pryor's appointment led to Brett Kavanaugh, then working in the Bush White House, apparently perjuring himself during his own confirmation hearings in 2006 (Wikipedia doesn't mention this but see here) when he testified that he was "not involved in handling" Pryor's nomination, although it may depend on what "handling" meant: Kavanaugh was definitely closely involved in that process, but he pretended otherwise to the Senate (and when Kavanaugh was asked, "So you weren't involved in any of the vetting" of Pryor's nomination, he said "No"). Bush got Pryor onto the bench via a recess appointment in 2004, and Pryor was confirmed to a regular appointment in 2005 by a 53-46 vote, thanks to the Gang of 14. He remains on the Eleventh Circuit, where today, in an expected decision allowing Georgia's 6-week ban on abortions to go into effect, refers 21 times to Planned Parenthood and the other plaintiffs and appellees as "abortionists."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Michigan's third Congressional district is held by Peter Meijer, one of the ten House Republicans who voted to impeach Donald Trump for his actions on January 6th.

Meijer is likely to lose his upcoming Republican primary to challenger Josh Gibbs, who told the Detroit News recently that he opposes exceptions to abortion for rape because: "There are many great Americans all around the country who were actually conceived from rape."
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, today said this about the overturning of Roe v. Wade:

"Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions? Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb."

Stay classy, Congressman.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:21 pm Meijer is likely to lose his upcoming Republican primary to challenger Josh Gibbs, who told the Detroit News recently that he opposes exceptions to abortion for rape because: "There are many great Americans all around the country who were actually conceived from rape."
Oh for Pete's sake! Did he actually do REASEARCH on this?? Can you see someone actually admitting it? :shock: :nono: Maybe he has a son or a daughter he doesn't want anyone to know about... :scratch:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sunsilver wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:50 am
N.E. Brigand wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:21 pm Meijer is likely to lose his upcoming Republican primary to challenger Josh Gibbs, who told the Detroit News recently that he opposes exceptions to abortion for rape because: "There are many great Americans all around the country who were actually conceived from rape."
Oh for Pete's sake! Did he actually do REASEARCH on this?? Can you see someone actually admitting it? :shock: :nono: Maybe he has a son or a daughter he doesn't want anyone to know about... :scratch:
I had a similar thought.. it sounds like someone who is justifying rape because of the 'wonderful blessings' they are bestowing on women. It's all about dominating, humiliating, and dehumanizing women (see Matt Gaetz comment in N.E's post above).
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:12 am Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, today said this about the overturning of Roe v. Wade:

"Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions? Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb."

Stay classy, Congressman.
I would say Matt Gaetz also looks like a thumb, but that would be an insult to thumbs. Thumbs may not be pretty, but they are useful. Gaetz is neither.