Cast Speculation

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Okay, thanks, Voronwë! I must have missed the official confirmation somewhere.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

For anyone who would like a taster of Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock. I could really see his voice working for Smaug.

http://youtu.be/im4TYITM0VE
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

And McKellen has not-so-subtly hinted that that's what he'll be doing:
http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/110531.htm
The cat is out of the bag. The actor is named. The latest recruit to the Jackson troops is the superb Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock Holmes to Bilbo's Watson. Martin Freeman let it slip when he picked up his BAFTA.
Martin told me he was "chuffed" about the prize. So was the entire crew back here in Wellington; and about Benedict. Now, what can he be playing in The Hobbit?
Philippa Boyens showed me a snippet of his screen-test, played in close-up into the camera. It was electrifying, vocally and facially. Yes, what can he be playing?
Voronwë the Faithful

The really interesting part of that quote is "facially". That suggests that they will be doing motion capture for Smaug, doesn't it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Probably, unless they just wanted him to act dragon-y on the audition tape to help them envision the final product (I really have no idea how these things are done).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I would certainly imaging they will be trying to capture as much of the performance whether using Motion capture or simply facial reference. If you watch for example, Jeremy Irons perfromance as Scar in The Lion King, so much of Jeremy Irons mannerisms and facial performance were replicated in the animated character. And thats just traditional animation.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

By the way, despite the skepticism at TORN, I agree with you that it is almost certain that Smaug was what Sir Ian was referring to. It is the only possibility that makes sense. They are not going to make the Necromancer into a major speaking role (I doubt he will have much more to say that the Witchking in ROTK), and the hints definitely do not suggest Bard. I think that Cumberbatch is an inspired choice for Smaug (just listen to the clip that Al posted), and my excitement level definitely is increasing.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I haven't been following this all too closely so forgive if this is an old topic but what is the status on Beorn? Is he gonna be in or is he cut? Is he being cast? Do we know?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

All the information that you need is in Lali's sticky thread, in this forum.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Sheesh; the n00bs we get around here... :roll: :D
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, but this one at least is cute. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's not all the information that I need. But thanks. :)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Well, it's all the information you need to answer those particular questions. Yes, Beorn is in. He is being played by Mikael Persbrandt. There's a picture of Persbrandt and a link to his IMDB page.

What more information do you need?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I'm now thinking about that voice reading the lines wherein Smaug tells Bilbo he's off to toast Laketown, because he's figured out what "barrel-rider" means. :D
Voronwë the Faithful

Gonna be awesome!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Steadfast wrote:What more information do you need?
Where can I find true love? What is the right career path for me? What causes these pains in my arms? .....amongst others......but Beorn's casting will do for now. (Unless Lali has a sticky that answers those too. :D)
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Well, shoot, yov, why didn't you just ask? I'll get to work on it this minute. Should have three solid answers by dinnertime.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:Where can I find true love?
In your heart.
What is the right career path for me?

The one that makes you happiest.
What causes these pains in my arms?
Carrying around the weight of worrying about the first two.
(Unless Lali has a sticky that answers those too. :D)
I'll make sure she get's right on it.

:hug:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You should set up a Q&A booth somewhere.
:rofl: :love: :D :hug:
-The Decemberists