January: Beauty is in the Ai! of the Beholder

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

sauronsfinger: Minas Tirith Hooters

:rofl:

That's just what Minas Tirith needed, given that actual provender is always in short supply after a war.

Rowanberry: I have to say that Ezpeleta gets the prize for WORST characterizations I've ever seen. That pic of Éowyn and Faramir looks like Rumpelstiltzkin was drop-kicked into an ad for the United Dairy Farmers.

Hobby: Could it be we've found ourselves our theme-month theme?

Well I could definitely go with writing the stories that ought to accompany these pics. Would-be illustrators (including those who find work) mihgt like to know how our "north of South Park" community views their work. :P

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Personally I think the three guards are dividing up the three blondes.

What worries me the most is that Aragorn is clearly going to drop the Sceptre of Annuminas once Faramir lets go. His hand isn't even under it. frankly the man has something else on his mind.

I think he's worried about his underwear. I sure am.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Jnyusa wrote: Well I could definitely go with writing the stories that ought to accompany these pics.
Now, there's an idea!

We need not limit ourselves to Miss Morrill's work ... there must be other Tolkien illustrators out there (Rowen linked to one :shock: ) who invite similar inspiration.
Would-be illustrators (including those who find work) mihgt like to know how our "north of South Park" community views their work. :P
Or not.

:twisted:

If everyone agrees. Should we split the thread beginning at my post of Beren and Lúthien?

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Primula_Baggins wrote:I think he's worried about his underwear. I sure am.
I'm worried, too. Well, he's wearing a chainmaille miniskirt. I bet the only underwear he could find was the pair with the rocketships on. Or maybe he couldn't find any at all. Faramir seems to be having some trouble in the miniskirt department, too.

And the blonde in the middle looks dismayed. Notice where she's looking. She's probably wishing Aragorn would wear something a bit longer next time.
Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

To me it looks as though Aragorn is wondering what Arwen has cooked for supper. Will it be Meat Loaf again!

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

A show of hands? - I'll split the thread if folks are in agreement.

What shall we title our first monthly theme thread?

If Tolkien Wrote Bodice-Rippers?
If Middle Earth Had a Hooters?
Cheesecake of the Noldor?
Beauty is in the Ai! of the Beholder?

(I just realized that vison is going to have a huge head start on all the rest of us with a project like this.) :rofl:

Jn
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

*shows hand*

I like the last two.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I vote for Cheesecake of the Noldor! :D

Possibly inspiring Sappy Poetry of the Noldor.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

A vote for 'Beauty is in the Ai! of the Beholder' ... with 'Cheesecake of the Noldor' as close runner-up.

I also vote for no prizes-to-be-awarded-since-vison-has-everybody-beat-hands-down.

:D

Unless the prize is a Whistler potholder.

Yes.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

'Beauty is in the Ai! of the Beholder'

I love that. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Fun fact about Rowena Morrill: she was Saddam Hussein's favorite artist. Two of her paintings were found in one of his palaces. Not that Ms Morrill can be blamed for this, but still. It boggles.

Absolutely true: linky
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

The scary thing is, I think this is true! It's the only way to explain both the presence of the three guards and the three blondes! :shock:

LOL, as the only one I understand is the first, I'd vote for that, but I think the last one might be good too (does "Ai!" mean an exclamation of pain?).

And I've never watched South Park, so I don't know where north of that is! :P

Potholders for all are good! :D

Edited to add a :shock: and a :rofl: at Ethel's discovery! :D
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

(does "Ai!" mean an exclamation of pain?).
Pained suprise, is how I'd put it.

Yes.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Jnyusa wrote:That pic of Éowyn and Faramir looks like Rumpelstiltzkin was drop-kicked into an ad for the United Dairy Farmers.
:rofl: And what is up with the SQUIRREL????

And that picture of Idril ... what the dickens is she RIDING???? :shock: Some pig-like creature with an Egyptian headdress??? :scratch: Whaaaaaaaat????? :D

Oh, I hate to sound mean about anybody's art, but these are just ... demented ...

Rowena Morrill has now replaced the Hildebrandt Brothers as my favourite Bad Tolkien artist for whom I have a strange affection. :D

I just love that one of Faramir crowning Aragorn. Too, too much. Blondies everywhere. Aragorn's obscene skirt length. Just love it. :D

I love threads like this. :D
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Pained surprise - yes, that's it. :D

Let me add a poll to the thread. The only two real contenders are Cheesecake of the Noldor and Beauty is in the Ai!, right?

Hobby, "cheesecake" is a term used to describe artwork involving scantily clad women. ;)

"Hooters" is a restaurant chain in the U.S. that specializes in top-heavy waitresses [cough] ... the word 'hooters' being a popular euphemism for such endowments.

Jn

eta: I've put up a poll for three days. Do your worst! As soon as we have a title, I'll split the thread.

Re prizes - though it goes without saying that vison will take the blue ribbon, there can be any number of red ribbons, appropriately associated with the special and alarming skills displayed by any number of posters. These may be distributed when you least expect them. :D
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I vote for Cheesecake of the Noldor. :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - HDT
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

I would suggest a slightly more general theme - something along the lines of "Images of ME: the good, the bad, the photoshopped". I think it allows for more scope. It could then include photographs and non-fantasy art that look Middle-earthy, as well as the bad Tolkien art we all love to hate. And would allow the photoshoppers to tamper with pictures in amusing ways.

Just a thought. :)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Sassy, thanks for the explanation on "Ai", and Jny on "cheesecake" and "hooters" - the things you learn here! :shock: :D

I'd prefer if the title did not focus on the obscene aspects of those pics, though. ;) :)
Ethel wrote:"Images of ME: the good, the bad, the photoshopped". I think it allows for more scope. It could then include photographs and non-fantasy art that look Middle-earthy, as well as the bad Tolkien art we all love to hate. And would allow the photoshoppers to tamper with pictures in amusing ways.
I like that, too! :)

I was wondering how we could get any photoshop skills involved in this theme - so, yes, like Ethel said, people could photoshop images into ME references etc. - or just create their own image of ME which might actually be good!

(Not that it could not still be called "Beauty is in the Ai of the beholder"! :D )
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

Ethel, I think it should go without saying that those of you who are skilled in photoshop should feel free to *cough* improve upon existing ME .... um ... art ... :D

The rest of us can invent suitable stories to accompany the illustrations.

Or, conversely, you could choose to illustrate the stories as they are being written. Think of all the possibilities .... some of vison's tales might lend themselves to ... ahem ... interesting, and perhaps slightly lurid, interpretations.

Yes.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Ethel, I saw your suggestion after people had started voting on the first two options, so I'm not sure if I should add another option at this point. But "Beauty" is winning so far, and I think that Sass is right that this leaves plenty of scope for your suggestion as well.

This definitely will not be restricted to published artwork. Everyone who can photoshop should do their worst, too! One of the main points of the thread is to have a venue for those whose talents lie in the visual dimension.

I like the idea of having existing illustrations to work with as well, however, because it gives an equal chance to those of us who need to create the 1000 words instead of the picture.

Jn