Serenity and Firefly

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Serenity and Firefly

Post by Dave_LF »

I don’t know; I find it rather uplifting to think that flawed people can still do great things.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 pm I don’t know; I find it rather uplifting to think that flawed people can still do great things.
true...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I used to be a Firefly fanatic, got really into it in college and would get upset about its cancellation. I still like it and still consider myself a fan, but I've cooled on it somewhat and don't love it as much as I used to. It's a combination of things:
  • I've gotten more into Star Trek, which I used to dislike. While it's not as immediately accessible as Firefly and there are major differences in tone and setting, it provides a rich sci-fi universe that didn't get cut short. So Firefly's missed potential just isn't as distressing anymore. (The Original Series actually has a lot of western vibes too).
  • Joss Whedon-style quip humor is now everywhere in pop culture thanks to the success of The Avengers. Now a lot of the jokes are still funny, but they don't feel as fresh anymore. I've come to hate most Marvel humor, and Firefly isn't exactly the same but there is some overlap.
  • There are some weaker episodes, like Heart of Gold is mostly terrible. Most every show has weaker episodes (Star Trek TNG's first season is basically unwatchable) so it's not the end of the world, but when you only have fourteen eps plus a movie every one counts.
  • Joss Whedon had some really, really terrible episode ideas that we should be thankful he never got to do. Extreme content warning:
    Hidden text.
    he wanted to have Inara get gang-raped by Reavers but inject herself with a drug that makes the sex kill them. :scarey:
  • The revelations on Whedon as a person don't help, though it's not the main thing - bad people have made good art before.
EDIT: I didn't see the news about Disney's Firefly before. Yeah this is probably a bad idea.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I refuse to believe your hidden text, have erased it from my mind and hope never to see anything that proves it.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Disney + Firefly is not something I can wrap my head around yet.

I haven't watched Firefly in a long time, but still think about it briefly, every time I don blue nitrile gloves. :scarey:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

river-tam-hands-of-blue.gif
river-tam-hands-of-blue.gif (837.61 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

kzer_za wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 pmThere are some weaker episodes, like Heart of Gold is mostly terrible.
Didn't recognize the title, so went and read the summary on IMDB. Rang zero bells. Checked my DVD set, and it is indeed there. But evidently as forgettable for me as it was terrible for you.