Puzzles and Models - Image intensive!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Jny - I'm still not quite clear on this, sorry!

On reading it again I see that it's not like I said - the binary codes are for numbers, not letters!

I thought you'd just mixed up the order of the letters!

So, in fact:
A could be 24455
B could be 54
C could be 951
etc

And those numbers are in binary. So, not only would one have to guess at the numbers, one would then have to guess at the letters?
And only three letters appear more than once?
They are 26 numbers that form a familiar series, and the series has been given a little twist.
I don't understand this at all! :scratch:

LOL, I think the easiest way would be to search ROTK for a section of 18 letters where only three letters appear more than once! :P
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Okay, I figured out what it is, though I admit I am still stumped by what the series of 26 numbers is!
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Yes, Faramond got it! hee-hee
:hooray:

And his prize will be relevant to the solution. ;) (got to go find one)

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Another prize for Faramond!

First you have to catch it, of course.

Hobby, I skipped your post earlier by mistake. Let me re-read it more carefully now and see if I can answer your question.

Jn

Ok.

On reading it again I see that it's not like I said - the binary codes are for numbers, not letters!

Well, they're for both.

random letter = number in series = corresponding binary sequence

That's the way it was in the other puzzle, too, but because the numbers in the series were 1, 2, 3 ........26, they did not bother to show this correspondence. They just gave the letter and binary expression for that letter's order in the alphabet.

I thought you'd just mixed up the order of the letters! So, in fact:
A could be 24455, B could be 54, C could be 951 ... And those numbers are in binary.

Yes. In theory A could be 24455, but in practice none of the numbers are so large, because that would be a major pain for me to put a number that large into binary. The largest number in the series is, in fact, 59.

If you go back to the previous page, the clue given for solving that first puzzle applies to all binary numbers: no letter/number can begin with a 0. If you make a little break in the series every time you come to a 1, it will show you one rather long series and two other shorter but similar series that have to represent a single number/letter. Since these appear more than once, you can guess that they correspond to the three letters that appear more than once. It's a very short quote - only 18 letters - so for one letter to appear three times it must be a very common letter. (A list of most common letters is also given along with the first puzzle on the previous page.)

Farmond is right, though, that is easier to solve a cryptogram when the quote is long. A short quote is easier if you're converting binary, so I went with the short quote and gave a clue to help with the cryptogram.

Quote:
>>They are 26 numbers that form a familiar series, and the series has been given a little twist.

I don't understand this at all!

1,2,3 ..... 26 would be a series of the number from 1 through 26
2,4,6,8 .... would be a series of even numbers
1,3,5,7 ... would be odd numbers

and so forth. I used a series that you are very likely familiar with, but Faramond did not have enough numbers to figure out what it was. In that regard, a longer quote would also have been better.

You can solve it by duplicating the method I used to create it. I took the first 59 numbers and coded all of them in binary. Then I picked out the numbers that belonged to the series that I wanted and assigned letters to them. If you code all of the first 59 numbers, which does not take long, btw, you can at least spot the sequences that also appear in the quote.

What I should have done is either used a number series or randomized the letters, but not both. But I was afraid it would be boringly easy that way. ;) Seriously. If you can guess at least two of the letters that appear more than once, you'll know the quote right away.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Lidless
Rank with possibilities

Post by Lidless »

Of course using the same idea it appears that Halloween and Xmas are one and the same, since Oct 31 = Dec 25

(31 in Oct, Base 8, is 3*8+1 = 25)
(25 in Dec, Base 10, is 2*10+5 = 25)
It's about time.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Just for fun I thought I'd chronicle my build of the Golden Hall, Puzz3D version.

First step was to remove all the chaff and cutoffs, leaving only real jigsaw pieces.

These pieces are thin cardboard punchouts to be used for fine detail.

These two thick card sheets contain the skeleton and bracing of the structure.

I seperated the pieces into piles, based on their patterns. One for thatch, one for wooden walls, one for tiled floors etc...

First I put together the base

Then the stone wall, steps and bracing

Here's the completed back wall and interior skeleton and bracing

Exterior tiled floor added

The completed Walls...

And finally the thatched roof and card details added.

All in all it took a few evenings work, but was much easier, and more enjoyable than the 1000 piece Circular Jigsaws. There's about 750 pieces in this I believe.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

That's amazing Al. Just one question: how stable is it? I'm just afraid after all that work the wind might blow it away!
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

That looks cool! :D Like superwizard, I'm wondering how it holds together. I'd imagine a bit of pressure would make it collapse - there doesn't seem to be any support for the floor and roof, for example?
Also, how big is it? Looks like it might be the size of a folder in length, but it appears quite big.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow; very cool, Al. I doubt I would have the patience to finish that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It's light but sturdy. The inner framework does a good job of holding it together. Obviously its not intended for permanent display though. The real fun in a jigsaw is the making of it. I only left it assembled for about a week, then put it back in the box for another day. :)

Oh, and it's about 18" square on the base and stands maybe 8-10" high?

Next project, the Citadel of Minas Tirith! (Of course it's only the very top courtyard, with the tower of Ecthelion, the white tree etc.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Thanks for clearing us up Al!