Searching for a Christ, on an island of sugar and alcohol

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Tinsel_the_Elf
winter, no stars

Searching for a Christ, on an island of sugar and alcohol

Post by Tinsel_the_Elf »

I have an odd request, I posted a version of this on B77, and am posting this here too for maximum exposure and the hope of an off-chance that someone may be able to help me. ;)

This summer I visited the Dominican Republic, and while there my friends and I went to the Cathedral (the oldest in the Americas) in the Colonial district of the capital, Santo Domingo.

The cathedral is a beautfiul and simple mix of Gothic, Renaissance, and Spanish Colonial styles, constructed out of coral stone. There are thirteen or fourteen side chapels, and in one of them I was particularly struck by a 16th cent. (I think) statue of Christ being whipped at the pillar.

I write poetry, and that statue came up in a poem that I was started working on the other day. I'd really like to see a photo of it, since I'm just working on memory and hastily jotted down notes, but the problem is, neither I nor any of my friends who were with me seem to have a picture of it. I've done Yahoo and Google internet searches, but I haven't had any luck.

So my hope is, that perhaps someone here has also visited that Cathedral, and may have a snapshot of that image that they could email or post here. I'd obviously be very, very grateful. :)

While on the subject of the DR, and beauty (both marred and unmarred), here is an excerpt of a famous and long poem by the Dominican poet Pedro Mir (unfortunately I can't seem to preserve the unique spacing of some of the lines--when I preview this post all the lines get flushed left :(. In the printed book I have certain clauses are separated for effect and spread wide across the page):

THERE IS A COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
a poem, sad on more than one occasion

There is
a country in the world
situated
right in the sun's path.
A native of the night.
Situated
in an improbable archipelago
of sugar and alcohol.
Simply
light,
like a bat's wing
leaning on the breeze.
Simply
bright,
like the trace of a kiss on an elderly
maiden,
or daylight on the roof tiles.
Simply
fruitful. Fluvial. And material. And yet
simply torrid, abused and kicked
like a young girl's hips.
Simply sad and oppressed.
Sincerely wild and uninhabited....
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Tinsel, I can't help you on the cathedral, but in order to preserve some spacing, there are two options:

You can put dashes or so in front of the lines, and colour them white (though that only makes them invisible on a white background, which not everybody uses - mine is blueish, for example.)

There is
---------------------a country in the world
---------------- situated
-------------- right in the sun's path.
------------------------ A native of the night.
--------------- Situated
of sugar and alcohol

So, the other option is to use the code tags, which preserve everything as written:

Code: Select all

There is 
                a country in the world 
         situated 
            right in the sun's path. 
    A native of the night. 
         Situated 
  of sugar and alcohol. 
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.