Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

How excited are YOU?

32%
No votes
16%
11%
5%
11%
No votes
5%
5%
16%

Total votes: 19

elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Thanks, Ellie and Eru. I hope I didn't completely overreact, but it just irritates me that people can't have the decency to keep spoilers to themselves. :(

Primula Baggins wrote:At Borders this year they distributed tickets for people with preorders—you had to go to the store to pick the ticket up, but that gives you the order in which you'll get your book. My son picked our ticket up the first morning they had them, so I'm hoping we'll get ours early on.
What?? I preordered my book at Borders and they didn't say a thing about tickets! :( Maybe my Borders didn't do that. And I preordered over the phone, not in person. I should call and make sure that the order went through.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

You know, I seem to remember the Barnes and Nobles I reserved my copy of Book 6 with doing something like that. I may get Iavas to call and ask what's up....'cause I don't want to. *hates the phone* I already reserved a copy by phone and that's enough for me. :P
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I think I'm paranoid. :rofl: But I just called to confirm and my pre-order did go through, and my Borders IS handing out tickets but not until Friday morning at 10.

Phew!

Eru, I totally understand about the phone. I really hate calling people. I always have to plan out almost exactly what I'm going to say before I dial, because otherwise I get so nervous!
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

LOL! That is so me!

I have to work Friday so I wouldn't be able to get any tickets until 6:30pm. Boo. Can't even go during my lunch break as the driving time would take more than 1 hour round trip.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wonder why our Borders passed them out so long ago? It was at least the week before last.

Oh well, can't complain.

Eru, I bet a lot of people are in your spot. I'm sure you'll still be reasnably far up the line.

Anyway, if they're smart they'll call people up in batches to pick up their books and leave the rest free to wander the store buying other things.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Nel posted the link to the New York Times review in the no spoilers thread on b77, and I'm reposting it here. (They bought the book in a bookstore—nothing shady about the review, just a bookstore jumping the gun.)

Link

Don't read this if you want to know absolutely nothing going in—but it contains no major spoilers at all, by my standards. (I risked reading it because I didn't believe the NYT would spoil HP7, and I was right.)

And it's highly positive.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Modest liberal that I am, I feeel not insubstantial guilt that I dont' really know who this elfshadow is, though I admire her persona in this moment's way. I do like her. She posts, damn it, which most of ou don', and most of you post like pantry maids. She doesn't.

We left that time. Come my kitchen maid, you will soon be free.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Primula Baggins wrote:Nel posted the link to the New York Times review in the no spoilers thread on b77, and I'm reposting it here. (They bought the book in a bookstore—nothing shady about the review, just a bookstore jumping the gun.)

Link

Don't read this if you want to know absolutely nothing going in—but it contains no major spoilers at all, by my standards. (I risked reading it because I didn't believe the NYT would spoil HP7, and I was right.)

And it's highly positive.

Ok. NOW I'm excited.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

OMG! That was a fantastic review! I'm so frickin' excited! I will be there at 20.00, so I can start reading at 00.00.

I'm dressing as Percy Weasley. I'll post pictures.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Having seen your pic on B77, I can definitely see that!
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

As for the no spoilers, a lot of Harry Potter fans seem to disagree majorly. (I have not read it, so I cannot say!) Now, it could be that it says things that should be obvious but that some Harry Potter fans hope will be untrue - e.g., Harry reuniting with Ginny Harry not going back to school, Sirius and Dumbledore not returning from the dead - but regardless, the people at The Leaky Cauldron are organizing petitions of protest!

Now, I am not saying that they are correct and that it really does leak anything that we do not already know: but just in case they are correct, people might want to avoid the link!
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I think the problem is that for really smart and alert people, even the most harmless detail can be a spoiler. She mentions certain things from previous books that turn out to be important in this one -- well, that might look like a silly list, but anyone as thoroughly in tune with HP possibilities as you, TheWagner, would be able to guess what the reappearance of one of those things/characters/objects MIGHT signify!

I remember how irritated I was when some reviewer of "The Sixth Sense" years ago spoiled the film by making an offhand reference to a literary source he obviously assumed his audience wouldn't know very well. Well, three points to him for being Clever, but if you happened to know the text in question, the whole joke of "The Sixth Sense" was revealed.

In other words, someone trying to show off and yet Not Spoil is almost certain to spoil the thing for Some.

Don't read reviews! :)
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

I'm avoiding the link considering everyone has different standards as to what spoilers are. Personally I don't want to know a single thing about the story.

Glad others are saying it's making them excited. I'll believe you. ;)
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I only skimmed it really. When I saw the word Hallows I moved on quickly, as I don't want to know what they are for another 28 and a half hours.

Oh yes, and Prim, I changed the thread title again. Thought this one was a bit more... clear, on what we meant by No Spoilers. =:)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Well, at this point, trolling the internet reveals that some have posted a summary of the whole book, including all major details. I am somewhat amazed that all this information is available.

I'm impressed with Rowling--there are twists that never occurred to me! She's just so inventive. :)

Still looking forward to curling up with my own personal, legal copy of the book.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, the Borders tickets thing—my son was off camping and didn't convey before leaving that he'd been mistaken about the tickets for book pickup; they're tomorrow morning here, too. He and his girlfriend plan to be in line at 5 AM; I think they seriously want our copy to be the first.

This evening I've been rounding up costumes for those two and for my daughter. My redhead has pulled together a good Ginny Weasley outfit (1980s sweaters look an awful lot like something Mrs. Weasley would knit, don't they?). I got some shapeless wooly things out of deep storage for my son's girlfriend; they're going as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Yes, this is hype, but it's also genuine cultural phenom, I think. At least, an awful lot of people seem to be having a lot of innocent fun with it (and all free, other than paying for the book).
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

My daughter, a HP nut (she can quote chapter and verse, word for word, all six books, and with a mad glint in her eye, will correct anyone who stumbled on the teeniest fact) looked so shocked at the idea of dressing up I had to leave the room so as not to start giggling. I don't know why some 14 year olds will and other 14 year olds won't. She's an absolute fan-girl, and intends to marry Ron (not Rupert Grint).

Also...I'd read the spoilers that Halplm posted on B77 and I told her that I had done so.

"Does he die? does Harry die? He doesn't die, does he? Tell me he doesn't die!!"

This, from a girl who's been saying for the last three years that Harry must inevitably die in the last book. I think she's been armouring herself for the worst. You know how it is; if you expect the absolute worst, whatever happens has to be better.

I replied I'd be willing to tell her if she's REALLY, REALLY sure she wants to know. Will it change the way you read the book if you know one way or the other? Think now; do you REALLY want to know?

"Aaaaarrrggghhh! Go away! Don't tell me!"

:D :D :D

Ah, yes. The torture of the innocent is a mother's last resort.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impish, that's so... fourteen year old of her! :love:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Primula Baggins wrote:Well, the Borders tickets thing—my son was off camping and didn't convey before leaving that he'd been mistaken about the tickets for book pickup; they're tomorrow morning here, too. He and his girlfriend plan to be in line at 5 AM; I think they seriously want our copy to be the first.
Random tip? It's a Bad Idea to have a big fight with the friend who is supposed to pick up your Borders tickets (or in our case wristbands), two days before Harry Potter comes out. Especially if she is juvenile enough to tell you to "get your own damn wristband" at the end of the fight.

...so, in essence? I have no reserved copy, because the friend who made the reservation that included my copy decided to screw me. One better - because she fought with me, she decided not to drive up to SF at all (where we were supposed to pick up our copies), thus screwing a mutual friend of ours (who was completely uninvolved in our fight) for whom she'd also reserved a copy as well.

Lesson learned: always, always, always reserve your own copies of stuff. You never know when you'll have a big fight with someone else who might have reserved a copy for you.

Of all the moments I've been glad for the leak, this is the foremost. At least tomorrow's suspense will be confined to whether I will get a copy of the book, rather than what plot twists said book contains. (I prefer to handle only one form of suspense per day. :P)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Impenitent wrote: Also...I'd read the spoilers that Halplm posted on B77 and I told her that I had done so.

You think you know a person.... :cry: