Take me out to the ballgame!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was rooting for the Cards to win for the sole reason that I think the Giants match up against them better than against the Nats (although the biggest reason why the Giants had problems with the Nats in D.C. this year was the heat and humidity, and that obviously would not be a problem.

The only reason why I would like to see the Yankees win is that it would be that much sweeter for the Giants to beat them!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Is it wrong that I don't feel bad to see Derek Jeter injured?

Also, I'm pissed that Stanford was cheated into a loss by several bad calls, but particularly a terrible call on the last play of the game against Notre Dame.... I can't help but think that if it had been a different team or location, things would be different. I'm only slightly consoled by the fact that yahoo agreed with me...
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:hug:

Yes, Ducks can be compassionate.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

halplm wrote:Is it wrong that I don't feel bad to see Derek Jeter injured?
Yup, sorry, but it is. And no one hates the Yankees more than I do, growing up as a big Mets fan and becoming a converted Red Sox fan in later years. I want to see the Yankees lose, but I want to see them lose with their best on the field.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My son declared he is rooting for the Yankees now. Because, he said, every team he wanted to win had lost.

=:)

Well, Tigers are up 2:0 in the series...
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Lol.

I guess $29 million a year doesn't go as far as it use to.
Poor poor A-Rod.

Lol.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... ame-3-alcs
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Um yeah Yankees lost and they are in all sorts of turmoil. Makes me sad. :(

=:)

And what a weird inning for the Giants. A throw off of the 2nd base bag, and a great bunt by Zito gives them a 4 run lead. Amazing.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I think that Rosenthal would look pretty good in a Red Sox uniform.

Just saying.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Game Seven tonight! Although it's kind of rainy today, so... hopefully that won't impact the game.
Voronwë the Faithful

Supposed to be occasional showers by game time. Which means that the Giants better have Lincecum ready, cuz the game could start and stop, making it difficult for Cain to go long.

Should be fun!
Voronwë the Faithful

The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

Quite a year for bay area baseball. The A's were a great story all year, but the things that the Giants have overcome, from the suspension of their best hitter, and the puzzling regression of their best pitcher to statistically one of the worst in baseball, to having to win three straight elimnation games in both rounds of the playoffs, to get to the World Series is pretty remarkable. Now they have to play the Tigers, who swept out the mighty Yankees in four games.

Should be interesting.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

My wife is happy. Parking will be the normal price again, which is always annoying for her to plan around this time of year. People drive to her building for training sessions and the like and gag (rightly) at post-season parking prices (she's two blocks from the ball yard).

I find it increasingly difficult to care about the success of people I will never know doing something of dubious worth for obscene sums of money while enriching people even richer than they are. :P I was pretty meh about it last year when we won and I'm pretty meh about it this year when we didn't.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

axordil wrote:My wife is happy. Parking will be the normal price again, which is always annoying for her to plan around this time of year. People drive to her building for training sessions and the like and gag (rightly) at post-season parking prices (she's two blocks from the ball yard).
I have the same problem as your wife, except that I am the one driving. I have spent the entire season rolling my eyes at the way that the games disrupt the lives of people who are unlucky enough to live/work/have other commitments close to them, but are not baseball fans. And I share your dubiousness about the societal worth of baseball (and other professional sports) relative to the vast sums of money those sports generate. I'd also add that I strongly resent the iconic role that men's professional sports play in our society, while the women's equivalents either don't exist (in the case of baseball or football) or are practically devalued (e.g., basketball).

But after spending the season "bah humbug"-ing away, I've decided to try to suck it up for the next week and feel as good as possible about an event that literally has so many smiling and high-fiving as they walk down the street. It definitely seems to create a sense of cameraderie and city-based identity, and I'm aware that the money the Giants attract has revitalized and gentrified what was once an impoverished, rundown wasteland of a neighborhood in San Francisco. To be completely honest, these considerations don't outweigh the negatives I mentioned above for me, but since the World Series will apparently play out at least 50 percent in San Francisco, I might as well try to treat the glass as 20 percent full rather than 80 percent empty (and hope that all future offices at which I will work during my career in San Francisco will be located far away from the Giants.)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Very reasonable attitude. Maybe the ONLY reasonable attitude, since you can't do anything about it. :D
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

This could be an interesting World Series. I'm really not sure how they match up though. The tigers have a decently strong lineup, Verlander, more Verlander and a decently strong lineup.

San Fran has a solid lineup, defense, and pretty good pitching from top to bottom. I find it hard to really get a good read though.

I don't actively dislike either team, so I would be okay with whomever was the winner.

Although I do have a bit of an issue with the Melky Cabrera thing. Yeah they lost him for the season and had to overcome that, but at the same time you could make the argument that Giants wouldn't be where they are without what he did for them this year. They didn't lose him until mid August, and he certainly had an impact on how they performed before that. Up to and including Melky winning the All-Star Game MVP ward and helping to secure the National League home field advantage.
Prior to his suspension, Cabrera had 159 hits and 52 multihit games while batting .346, the second-highest average in the National League, with 11 home runs and 60 RBIs in 113 games.

The other legal players on his team, will unfortunately have to deal with his actions, which isn't fair at all. It was really nice to see people like Zito and Scutaro (why can't the Sox get players like that?) step things up and come through.

I can still pull for the Giants, but like everything in sports today, it may have to come with an asterisk. How I wish the steroid era would end once and for all.
Voronwë the Faithful

Holbytla wrote:It was really nice to see people like Zito and Scutaro (why can't the Sox get players like that?) step things up and come through.
Yeah, why can't the Sox get players like Marco Scuturo. Oh wait. ...

I guess the real question is, "why don't the Sox KEEP players like Marco Scuturo." (Although I am tentatively pleased with the Farrell hire; at least it didn't drag on and on like last year, and they didn't hire someone who was a keg of dynamine waiting to happen. On the other hand, there must be some reason why Toronto soured on him so quickly. Also please to see that it appears like they aren't going to drag things out with Big Papi this time, either.)
I can still pull for the Giants, but like everything in sports today, it may have to come with an asterisk. How I wish the steroid era would end once and for all.
The Melky thing was so disappointing. He was such a great, heartwarming story, and the Melkmen and Melkmaids were some of the greatest fans I've seen. I can't imagine how bummed they were. I do know that the team was seriously pissed off at him, particularly Posey. That doesn't negate the truth of what you say regarding their reaping the benefit of his time with the team. On the other hand, they played better without him than they did with him. Of course, that doesn't mean they would have played like that all year without him (or without him being juiced).
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

And that is what rankles everyone; the unknown.

Not withstanding the Melky debacle, the Giants as a whole are a deserving team that has an endearing quality to it.
Yet because of Melky, they will forever be questioned, and that goes right to the heart of why this is such a travesty. The Giants as a whole are destined to pay for what an individual did, despite their team-wide respectability and their deserving of a trip to the Series.

That, imo, is the true evil of PED's.

As for the Sox;

Well since they dumped Nomar for Orlando Cabrera, the Sox haven't been right at shortstop. Granted that particular move worked in the Sox favor at the time, but it had no lasting effect because of off field issues and the need to move Cabrera shortly after.

Their biggest issue at SS was not paying Alex Gonzalez a few million per for a couple of years or whatever the minimal deal was.
It has been a revolving cycle of shortstops since then.

The Sox have failed miserably at evaluating that position.

Finally signing Papi to a multi-year contract is a blessing. This is something they should have done regardless of whatever return he gave them. He has been nothing short of the face of the Sox for years and he has earned a multi-year contract by his play on the field and by being a worthy representation of the team.

Farrell will be fine. He won't be the issue. Toronto knew he wanted to be elsewhere, so there was no point in delaying the inevitable.
He'll never light the world on fire, but management is comfortable with him and so are the players. Especially the pitching staff.

The issue this year is actually being able to sign and field a competitive team that isn't made up of 37 year old free agent players with diminishing talent or rookies with little or no future.

I expect this to be a 2 or 3 year project at least, but I doubt ownership or the fan base will have that much patience.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Sandoval? :shock:

Amazing. What a night for him, for anyone really.

The guy had 12 home runs for the entire year. He has 6 in the postseason.
Great time to get hot.
Voronwë the Faithful

Congratuations to the World Series Champion San Francisco Giants!
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I got to go home and watch the game with my Dad, who is a much bigger Giants fan than I. It was great fun :)