[topic regretted] (was Jews against anti-Christian ...)

For discussion of philosophy, religion, spirituality, or any topic that posters wish to approach from a spiritual or religious perspective.
Sister Magpie

Post by Sister Magpie »

It would mean a tiny majority is being accommodated, rather than the majority view continuing to be reflected (speaking of the currency issue).

It seems to be the same question referred to previously, of allowing the vast majority to publicly acknowledge religious belief, rather than disallowing it for the sake of the small minority such acknowledgment offends.
But is the majority really supposed to rule all the time? I mean, it seems like the point of rights is that they're not agreed upon by the majority. So, for instance, if the majority of people in my town want the Ten Commandments up in the courthouse it would still matter that I didn't, because it would reflect, as you said, that the courthouse was being guided by those laws. Often the government is supposed to represent the rights of the individual citizen over what the majority might want.

Now, when it comes to a public display of a religion, it gets trickier, but I think the principle of the decisions comes down to whether or not this makes something state sanctioned more than whether people like it. For instance, no one could insist that someone take a nativity scene down off their lawn, as far as I know, but that's a public display of a religion. So while I can certainly see that there's honest disagreement in particular cases, I don't think the guiding principle of the law ever gets into someone being personally offended. Even if that's the real impetus behind the complaint, it's not what the case would be based on, I don't think.

-m
"Brooding over quirks of mad Creation,
And puppets' dreams."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

First, to be very clear: these are not Establishment Clause/legal views I'm expressing. These are just personal views.

Second, I agree with the vast majority of Sister Magpie's post (as usual).
Speaking of the kinds of cases brought by the ACLU on behalf of atheists, I would say it isn't preventing people from espousing a religious belief, but of publicly celebrating their religious beliefs
Wrong. People can and should publicly celebrate their religious beliefs. Those of us who are not interested in their public celebration of the same can and should ignore it. "People" != "the government," however. If my entire neighborhood wants to get together and put together a nativity scene at the entrance, then I have no issue with that. I'll ignore it. If the majority of my school wants to deck the halls with bows of holly and put up big Christmas signs everywhere, then they can do that. I'd either just appreciate the holiday sentiment, or again ignore it. No one is asking that people not "publicly celebrate who they are." However, keep it off government property - regardless of what religion it is. When my local government puts up a Christian display, or a Buddhist display, or a Muslim display, or a Jewish display, or a Hindu display, or any other, that is when I will go into paroxysms of rage. My government cannot and should not endorse any of these religions via tax-payer funded displays. And that has nothing to do with antipathy for any religion - in particular, I have an immense desire to learn more about Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism, but bear none of the religions above any ill will.
If there is a seasonal nativity display on the lawn of the City Hall seemingly indicating the religious beliefs of a large segment of the community, it seems to me neither the people passing by nor those going in are forced to participate or acknowledge it in any way.
Wrong. Just as in the other examples you address, everyone entering for government sanctioned business is forced to acknowledge to the influence, on their government, of the religion the seasonal nativity scene demonstrates.
I don't know just when our money was designed, but I think the difference (referring to the scenarios you suggested above) is that when the money was designed that sentiment expressed the majority belief (as is still the case today). Neither a federally mandated 'In the God and Goddess' on currency nor a pledge to the Great Spirit in schools would reflect a majority belief. So what I'm saying is, it wouldn't even have that rational basis for being mandated.
What if it was, though, Cerin? What if you were a member of a Christian minority in America - say, the majority was Wiccan and embraced a belief "in the God and Goddess"...? In such a case, would you have no problem using such money? Would you feel in the least bit different about Wiccan displays being erected on public property so that the Wiccan majority could "publicly celebrate who they are"? If you had to walk by such displays to enter your city hall, would you feel free of any pressure to participate or acknowledge it in any way?

Let's make it more explicit. What if the majority of this country was Hindu, and wanted, "In Brahma, Krishna, and Vishnu we trust" on everything. You would have no objection with using this money, because the majority view was continuing to be reflected, and your (clearly unimportant) sensibilities as a member of the Christian minority should just be disregarded? (By "clearly unimportant," I'm responding to what I perceived to be your assessment of the sensibilities of current religious minorities. My apologies if this is inaccurate.)

And no, there's nothing wrong with your tone in this discussion. :)

I sometimes feel that for people in majority groups, it is very difficult fully to internalize the concept of protecting minority rights and sensibilities (regardless of the minority group being spoken about). At the same time, since I'm almost always in the minority group, perhaps I am not sensitive enough to the needs of the majority.

EDIT Do we actually need to go into this summer's Establishment Clause cases? I'm happy to do so if necessary, but I'm not sure if that's the direction people want to take this discussion.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

[removed]
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

I'm not going to actually participate in this discussion, because I've noticed that in discussing religious matters, I rarely can put my thoughts into words without offending anybody. :( But, I'd just like to comment on this:
Jnyusa wrote:Whistler and I have talked many times about the anti-religion trend in the U.S. today, and I believe it is much more pronounced in Europe.
May I ask where you've got that idea from?

As an European in a broad sense, I rather see the attitude here as not letting religion influence secular matters than as any kind of active anti-religion mentality.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'd like to add further comments, but I am part of the Madison Avenue marketing machine, and I have to squeeze a few more bucks out of the pockets of the easily manipulated.

Try not to hate me!

* returns to work *
Sister Magpie

Post by Sister Magpie »

Jnyusa wrote:I think one of the reasons I am sensitive to issues concerning public expression of religion is because public services - TV, public buildings, etc. - go so far out of their way to acknowledge Chanukkah. Jews are a tiny, tiny percentage of the overall population. Chanukkah is a minor holiday, religiously speaking. I guess any holiday that fell in proximity to Christmas would be put on steroids ... <tries to imagine the Fast of Gedaliah on a Hallmark Card> ... and it does feel very, very odd to me.

Why doesn't Ramadan get more press? It's far more important to Moslems than Chanukkah is to Jews. Why don't we all trundle down to the Delaware river and set little candles on little rafts of paper for the Feast of Ganesha?

It seems to me that we should do ALL those things. We should share more with one another the beauty of our respective rituals.

That's where the whole corporate story creeps into this picture and complicates it, in my mind. The religions we acknowledge are the ones that have plausible holidays falling at times when Madison avenue says retail sales have to be given a boost ....

This is, in my mind, a subtle corruption or all our spiritualities, including those felt by atheists.
Ah--I agree, and that's an interesting topic on its own. Madison Avenue, of course, is not interested in religion at all except as a marketing tool, and everyone is vulnerable to that. Where I am (half a block from the Avenue itself as we speak ;) ) there is plenty of marketing specifically to Jews at Hannukah--and also at other holidays. That's also where you get into the majority having a big say in what you find, because people want to put out products that people are going to buy so that they can make money. At Passover all the butchers get have shank bones, for instance. All the stores stock matzoh. It's going to sell. There are far fewer public signs of Ramadan that I've noticed, though I'm sure they're there. There are places to buy supplies for most religions somewhere--and actually, I suspect they've all been somewhat commercialized. Like, perhaps to our Western eyes it seems like Christmas and Hannukah are the more commercialized, but if you went to a Muslim country or even heavily Muslim neighborhood there'd be plenty of vulgar things on display, as long as people buy them.

I guess--and this really goes for all religions and relates to what Jewel said--it's up to the individual person to make the choice against this sort of thing. Sometimes that's easier said than done. A lot of people probably don't even want to do that--somebody shows up at those stores at dawn the day after Thanksgiving. Maybe they like that as a tradition even if to me it sounds horrible. To me Christmas isn't all that commercial, I mean materially speaking. I enjoy getting presents for people I care about that I think they'll like--I don't like giving impersonal gifts that don't say "I saw this and I thought you'd really like it!" When I think of the holiday it's more about seeing people, pretty lights, the smell of the trees. It's not got much to do with Jesus, for me--it's more properly called a Yule celebration connected to the Solstice, though I don't have a problem with still calling the trees Christmas trees (*tries to imagine Jesus' trying to understand what lighting and decorating evergreens has to do with him, exactly ;) ). You get out of it what you put into it.

-m
And puppets' dreams."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Whistler wrote:Try not to hate me!
* tries not to hate Whistler *

It worked! :love: I would really love to see your thoughts on the subject.

Jn, I never thought I could disagree with you so thoroughly. :D

But that needs a week's answer, or none at all, and I'm horribly pressed for time.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

[removed]
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Sister Magpie wrote:But is the majority really supposed to rule all the time? I mean, it seems like the point of rights is that they're not agreed upon by the majority. So, for instance, if the majority of people in my town want the Ten Commandments up in the courthouse it would still matter that I didn't, because it would reflect, as you said, that the courthouse was being guided by those laws. Often the government is supposed to represent the rights of the individual citizen over what the majority might want.
Well, ideally I think the majority rules while at the same the rights of the minority are protected. So in the example above, the Ten Commandments in the courthouse does violate the right of the minority not to be subject to the tenets of a single religion in the context of government business they can't avoid. But I don't see how the rights of the minority are violated by a seasonal celebration of the religious beliefs held to by a large segment of the community, as in a nativity scene displayed on publicly designated land. I don't see what else a complaint about something like that would be based on other than personal offense.

Note: Having now read tp's response, I gather it is an issue of tax-payer money being used to fund the display.

tolkienpurist wrote:Just as in the other examples you address, everyone entering for government sanctioned business is forced to acknowledge to the influence, on their government, of the religion the seasonal nativity scene demonstrates.
Ethel had asked if there was a line of sorts, and to me it does seem substantively different, having a seasonal display on the lawn as opposed to having a permanent cross on the building itself. But that is just my personal sense of it.

What if it was, though, Cerin? What if you were a member of a Christian minority in America - say, the majority was Wiccan and embraced a belief "in the God and Goddess"...? In such a case, would you have no problem using such money?

If it were the case that our country had been founded by Wiccans (that is, Wiccans had left England so as to be able to worship in the way they believed without government interference) and as a result of that pervasive influence the country's currency had eventually ended up vaguely indicating a basic Wiccan belief, I imagine I would not like seeing it, but I'm not sure I would feel I had grounds to try to change what was grounded in historical reality on the basis that it bothered me personally.

Would you feel in the least bit different about Wiccan displays being erected on public property so that the Wiccan majority could "publicly celebrate who they are"?
I honestly don't think so, if I knew that the majority of the population held those beliefs. Walking by a display doesn't compromise my beliefs, but participating in government-sanctioned procedures I can't avoid that I know are being conducted in the context of those beliefs would be a violation of my rights under our Constitution, I think.

If you had to walk by such displays to enter your city hall, would you feel free of any pressure to participate or acknowledge it in any way?
As I said, I think that would be different than a permanent symbol affixed to the building in which I was forced to conduct business and submit to laws implicitly guided by the religion that symbol represents. It just feels different to me, somehow. I don't believe I would feel pressured to participate or acknowledge those beliefs because of a seasonal celebratory display I had to walk by, but I've never been in that position.

I don't know if this example is applicable, but if I lived on a Native American Reservation, I don't imagine that I would feel pressured by displays of Native American spirituality, or that I would protest that the prevailing spiritual viewpoint shouldn't be seasonally displayed on public or government property because I didn't share it.

What if the majority of this country was Hindu, and wanted, "In Brahma, Krishna, and Vishnu we trust" on everything. You would have no objection with using this money, because the majority view was continuing to be reflected, and your (clearly unimportant) sensibilities as a member of the Christian minority should just be disregarded? (By "clearly unimportant," I'm responding to what I perceived to be your assessment of the sensibilities of current religious minorities. My apologies if this is inaccurate.)

If I lived in a country that had been historically founded on those beliefs, then no, I don't believe I would object to using money that reflected that historical reality. I don't think using the official currency that reflected that history would mean that I was professing that faith or compromising my own beliefs. I think in that case (supposing of course), I would agree that my sensibilities as a member of the Christian minority should be disregarded. The history of the country shouldn't have to be wiped out in part because there are those who don't share the religious views upon which it was founded.

I sometimes feel that for people in majority groups, it is very difficult fully to internalize the concept of protecting minority rights and sensibilities (regardless of the minority group being spoken about).
I'm all for protecting rights, but not for accommodating all sensibilities if it reqires something unreasonable, like re-designing a currency that reflects historical reality. I guess I'm insensitive in that way. It reminds me of a story awhile back about immigrants in England complaining because the government-funded school lunches didn't properly reflect ethnic diversity (i.e., African children should be able to eat African food in English schools). I admit, that was an eye-roller for me.
IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

There was a Federal Court ruling, concerning religion and the government, handed down two weeks ago, that may have gone unnoticed outside of Indiana.

As is the practice around the country, a religious leader is invited to open sessions by the Speaker of the House. Generally this tradition begins at statehood, so it has a long life relative to other US traditions.

The ACLU attacked this and the Court ruled in a very narrow way. The media seem to have missed the narrowness and have portrayed this as a ruling against religious expression in the Statehouse. As provincial as Indiana may seem, it does have a history of inviting leaders from many religions to speak, so there can be no claim of exclusion. I haven't read the ruling, but someone close to the case tells me the Court has limited the focus to a ban on religious leaders, appearing to open a session, using the name "Jesus". The ruling has no consequence for anyone expressing their religion at the Statehouse under other circumstances.

While I might claim that using the Lord's name in a political environment is equivalent to taking His name in vain, and therefore banned by at least the Catholic Church, I don't think this is what the Court or the ACLU had in mind. I have trouble agreeing that any religious person should be prevented from invoking their preferred deity to assist a government body towards ethical, fair, and compassionate governance.

I tend to think of Atheism as a religion and as St. Madeline being its first missionary. They do intend to convert the world and to impose their view on the rest of us, just like the Jesuits in New Spain. They seem just as intolerant and destructive.

I don't think anyone questions that it is the responsibility of government to protect individuals from abuse by the majority. I fail to see the logic behind transforming this statement to it being the obligation of government to impose the will of a minority on the majority.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

IdylleSeethes wrote:I tend to think of Atheism as a religion and as St. Madeline being its first missionary. They do intend to convert the world and to impose their view on the rest of us, just like the Jesuits in New Spain. They seem just as intolerant and destructive.
I'm an atheist. What other surprising things do you have to tell me about myself? Where does my church meet, and who is our leader?
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Saying that atheism is a religion strikes me as being like saying that someone who has eaten nothing has still had lunch. For this specific case, the differences are fairly clear IMHO – atheists are not seeking to have ‘we do not trust in God nor any other deity’ on money, they are not seeking to put up stone tablets denying the existence of God on public buildings, nor are they trying to make people swear that they live in ‘One Nation, Godless’.

Still, I think this whole thing can be a storm in a teacup at times. I tend to take a fairly narrow view on what exactly ‘rights’ are. IMHO, if we expand the concept of a ‘right’ too much then we cheapen it. Certain things, such as the use of a cross to mark a grave or memorial and the word ‘Christmas’ itself have become more or less secularized and part of our culture. As such, I do not believe that they are in any way discriminatory. We should make a reasonable effort to be politically correct, but not at the expense of common sense. The big green thing with the lights on it is a ‘Christmas tree’. That’s what everyone knows it as. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ. Regardless of what you think Jesus actually was, he is of significance to our civilization and his festival is the most important in our culture. As such, trying to purge any religiosity out of Christmas is silly IMHO. Unless there is some obligation being put on people to recognise Christianity as being correct or authoritative (as putting the Ten Commandments on a Courthouse would do IMHO) then I don’t have an issue.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

I appear destined to follow Ethel around and say "What she said."

I said I wouldn't participate in this discussion but I simply cannot let this statement go unanswered.
I tend to think of Atheism as a religion and as St. Madeline being its first missionary. They do intend to convert the world and to impose their view on the rest of us, just like the Jesuits in New Spain. They seem just as intolerant and destructive
Idylle, it is unfair to generalise.

Exactly who are these ubiquitous atheistic 'they'? I'm one of them, you know. I don't think of Atheism as a religion and I'm certainly not interested in converting anyone to my view. I don't proselytize nor do I revere Madeline Murray. I like to think that I accept that other people can and do think differently .... it took many years for me to reach the conclusions I have and while I reserve the right to change my opinion ... I'm a little offended at the description of my state of mind as either intolerant or destructive.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Allow me to step back a few pages; I've been busy today, and unable to keep up with things. I'll let IS defend his own remarks, as he is more than capable of doing.

Jesus is, at the very least, the central figure of Western civilization. He is a figure of incalculable significance, whatever one's beliefs. He is the focus of most of our greatest art, music and literature. He is somehow at the root (though often in a manner contrary to his own teachings) of nearly everything in European and American history.

I don't worship Rev. Martin Luther King, but he's quite an important figure; and plenty of people would throw an unholy tantrum if I tried to squeeze him out of his own birthday. The divinity of Christ (or the lack thereof, if you insist) has nothing to do with whether his birth should be recognized––and yes, I mean officially recognized by government. A simple respect for history is all that's needed.

LM...not to quibble, but...I think you'll agree that the Ten Commandments predate Christianity. Perhaps their presence in a courtroom amounts to an endorsement of Judaism? Jesus whittled them down to two, you know.
Sister Magpie

Post by Sister Magpie »

Certainly atheism has no doctrine or anything that has anything to do with converting anyone. It doesn't have a doctrine at all. It just means you don't believe in any deities just like any other thing you don't believe in. Though sometimes I have seen people who seem to be *angry* at God describe themselves as atheists, and I don't think you can be both those things at once.

Though, of course, if someone doesn't believe in something they're liable to say so. No one can prove that any god doesn't exist--and many atheists don't feel that way anyway. They may lack a belief in God, but believe he *might* exist for all they know. So if someone is talking about God or anything else I don't think an atheist saying, "That doesn't sound true to me. Here's why," is converting in terms of trying to get more people for his church. Imposing one's views--whether atheistic or theistic--does not mean saying what one's beliefs are. It's hard to have a discussion about beliefs without explaining your own in a way that could be persuasive.

My favorite atheist explanation to, say, a monotheist is simply: "There are thousands of Gods you don't believe in. I just don't believe in one more." :)
The divinity of Christ (or the lack thereof, if you insist) has nothing to do with whether his birth should be recognized––and yes, I mean officially recognized by government. A simple respect for history is all that's needed.
Or the rebirth of the sun.:)

-m
Last edited by Sister Magpie on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
And puppets' dreams."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Sister Magpie:

Something you said reminded me of a remark made by C. S. Lewis. Originally an atheist, he was firm in his conviction that God did not exist––and furious with God for not existing.

Of course he ended up a Christian, and was not furious any more.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

[removed]
Last edited by Jnyusa on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'd like to say to the atheists here that I do not regard atheists in general as having any desire to convert the world. Certainly nothing said by any of them on this board has given me that impression. I do think that atheism is a pseudo-religion to a tiny minority (yes, Jn, there are atheist organizations) but most atheists (in my experience) have no agendas.

I'm not yielding on any of the basic points I've made, but I also wish to avoid making any careless accusations about the intentions of others, as I don't appreciate having such accusations made about me.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

"Judge not, that ye shall not be judged..."

And so on and so forth. :D

ETA: I have been reading a lot of CS Lewis lately. Good writer. Moving, intelligent and often humorous.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Would it be fair to say that most of us agree that the separation of church and state is basically a good thing, but that there is some disagreement about where the line should be drawn?

TP appears to support current legal precedent which (mostly) prohibits religious displays on government property. She makes the point that they must necessarily be paid for with tax dollars. I don't think this is an especially strong point - surely all of us have some objections to how our tax dollars are used. (Though I for one, TP, would be interested in discussing recent Establishment clause decisions.)

While I understand the argument that religious displays on government property can be considered a step in the direction of 'religious establishment', a seasonal display of (say) a Nativity scene doesn't strike me as a particularly dangerous precedent. And the prohibition makes (some) religious people so angry that in one sense it could be viewed as unnecessarily divisive. Also, I personally happen to like Nativity scenes, not that that's a legal consideration.

Yet I understand TP's point too. I think it comes down to - where do you draw the line? Keep it simple - no religious displays on government property? Seasonal religious displays okay, permanent ones not? (That's about where I land.) Permanent religious displays okay because this is a mostly Christian nation? Go back to the way things were before O'Hair's lawsuit, with schoolchildren reciting the Lord's Prayer every day? (A fair number of people would support this but I think it's unlikely that that particular precedent will be overturned.)

Oh, and I wanted to say to that Lord_M pretty much expressed my own views on this subject. Good post, I thought. It would be great if we could arrive at a solution with a little flexibility - a compromise that most people are comfortable with - and stop tying ourselves in knots on this subject.

But I gather that the prohibition on religious Christmas displays on government property is only one small example of what Jn and Whistler object to. Perhaps they should redirect us if we have gotten too far down this alley.

And, Whistler - of course I agree that it is almost impossible to overstate the importance of Jesus of Nazareth to the Western world.