Arizona Immigration Law

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

yovargas wrote:"Capitalism loves cheap labour" is perhaps true if you view Capitalism solely from the false perspective that it's only about making rich people richer.
Exactly.

Capitalism is an economic system, not a government.

I'm a capitalist, or at least an entrepeneur, and "cheap labour" isn't the most important thing to me.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

A capitalistic laborer is interested in money as well.
I'm not an economist by any stretch and this all may be hooey, but it seems to that as a country, the US has evolved past the point of being able to subsist on manufacturing.

And I just found an interesting article that was written 4 years ago.

http://www.thetrumpet.com/index.php?pag ... le&id=1955

Here is an excerpt:

For over a half century, American manufacturing has dominated the globe. It turned the tide in World War ii and hastened the defeat of Nazi Germany; it subsequently helped rebuild Europe and Japan; it enabled the United States to outlast the Soviet empire in the Cold War. At the same time, it met all the material needs of the American people.

During this period, many American icons were born. Companies like General Motors, Ford, Boeing, Maytag and Levi Strauss became household names. American manufacturing became synonymous with quality and ingenuity.

On the back of this industrial output rose America’s middle class. High-paying manufacturing jobs, in turn, helped spur a robust and growing economy that depended little on foreign nations for manufactured goods and armaments.

However, manufacturing as a share of the economy has been plummeting. In 1965, manufacturing accounted for 53 percent of the economy. By 1988 it only accounted for 39 percent, and in 2004, it accounted for just 9 percent.

Considering the stupendous list of America’s manufacturing achievements and the vulnerabilities associated with foreign dependence when a nation lacks strong domestic manufacturing, it is alarming when economists are warning that the U.S. is facing the “gutting, hollowing out and closing down of American manufacturing forever” (Benson’s Economic & Market Trends, Feb. 27, 2004).
To tie that in with this thread, cheap labor via illegal immigrants creates more problems than it solves as evidenced by unemployment figures and the drain on social services.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

vison wrote: Capitalism is an economic system, not a government.
Nor a "religion", actually. :suspicious:

The system of capitalism apparently is unseemly in some circles. But it has inarguably helped made America successful enough that we DO have issues with hordes of people wanting to come here for work and wages. To me it seems obvious: if we were not relatively successful, we wouldn't be having these troubles.

As an aside: it is wrenching to me to think how bad things must be in Mexico, for the low wages and "constant fear" described here to be the better choice. I really feel for these people. In their shoes, I would probably do the exact same thing.

I found an interesting new story today, which may help people understand why Arizona is taking such harsh measures to address illegal immigration (in the absence of the federal government doing anything at all to address it, which it is supposed to do).

Some background: Arizona is facing a budget crisis of incredible proportions. I had the privilege, many years ago, of speaking one-on-one to Jane Dee Hull, who was at that time secretary of state for Arizona, but who would go on to be governor. She said even then that Arizona's budgets were built on shaky ground. The two largest income streams for the state were property taxes and revenue from tourism, and expressed her concerns about that to me. She said that a huge percentage of the acreage of Arizona cannot be taxed; much of it is federal land.

These leaves a heavy burden on the continuing value of personal property here. As many of you may know, Arizona has taken one of the biggest hits in property values in this recession. We are either #1 or #2 in percent value lost, vacillating between us and Nevada.

Tourism is obviously also heavily affected by the economy. Businesses aren't having big meetings as much, mom and dad aren't taking the kids to the Grand Canyon. People don't have extra money for such things.

So Arizona has just been slammed, economically. Everything is on the table for cuts, from state parks and education to the local cities cutting the police force.

So if the income stream is stagnated, and one is trying to balance the checkbook, the next thing to consider is waste in expenditures. This story highlights how Arizona has apparently been paying for the education of Mexican national kids-- who actually live in Mexico-- for a very long time. The city of Ajo has been sending a bus for them.

There are a few things which pop out to me from this article:

1. Tom Horne saying that this action of his has nothing to do with the elections coming up (yeah right, Tom)

2. That it is allowed for illegal citizens to be educated in the public school system of Arizona as long as they can prove they live here. The problem going on in Ajo is about Mexican citizens living in Mexico and crossing the border to get an education on Arizona's tab.

Arizona just can't afford stuff like this. Not when they are cutting vital things for their own citizens to try to make ends meet.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks for adding a little perspective from inside, Anth. It doesn't change my mind about the law, but it does help make clear why people felt they needed to do something. It so easy to just paint people as just being evil people out to get the "others", but it is always more complicated than that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Interesting post, Anthriel.

What do you think the federal government ought to do?

I am sincerely glad I am not in charge of "fixing" this, since I have no clue what should be done overall. At the VERY least, though, any employer hiring illegal alien workers should be shut down instantly. Maybe a few of those, and they'd get the picture. People would not come to the US if they could not get work - that much is obvious.
Voronwë the Faithful

vison wrote:What do you think the federal government ought to do?
Pass a flawed immigration reform bill (such as the McCain-Kennedy bill that failed 3 years ago) rather than passing no bill. But that won't happen because of the current state of extreme bipartisan partisanship (that's my new buzz phrase). McCain himself is adamently opposed to the same bill he championed then. And Kennedy, of course, is gone.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I wonder what use passing any bill will do, though? What are its provisions? How would an "ideal" bill work?
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

The only purpose of "immigration reform" is politically motivated. It is for votes or money, which are arguably the same thing...

Perfect example is comparisons between Rhode Island and Arizona.
Anyway, if enforcing immigration law is a bad thing for local cops to do, as Holder claims, why pick on Arizona? If he’s really upset that the same laws he has taken an oath to enforce might actually get (gulp!) enforced, why isn’t he suing Providence instead of Phoenix? They’ve been doing local immigration enforcement for years now.

As The Boston Globe-Democrat reported yesterday, “From Woonsocket to Westerly, the troopers patrolling the nation’s smallest state are reporting all illegal immigrants they encounter, even on routine stops such as speeding, to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.”
link

It is pretty funny the Federal government is suing a state to try and stop them from enforcing federal laws the feds are failing to enforce... I wonder how much this lawsuit is going to cost... and if it might be better spent enforcing the laws it opposes.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ah, good ol' black & white hal. Some things never change. :cheers:
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Ah, good ol' commenting on the poster and not the issue. Some things never change. :cheers:
Voronwë the Faithful

Unfortunately, the article that you posted is so full of misleading, unsubstantiated, or downright untrue statements that it is hard to take the rest of it terribly seriously. Sadly, it is probably not terribly unexpected from something written by a radio talk show host who according is wikipedia has a self-proclaimed description of being "loud, obnoxious and frequently fired."

From a legal point of view, there is no question that the federal government has a viable argument that the Arizona law impermissibly intrudes into an area that is specifically reserved in the constitution for the federal government, regardless of whether there additional claims that it will promote violations of civil rights are also found to be viable. Whether a similar claim would exist against Rhode Island I don't know, and that article certainly does not provide sufficient information to remotely have any idea.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Ah, good ol' commenting on the author, while ignoring his point.

Here's the Boston Globe story that was referred to. Is that a source you'll accept? Perhaps you could point out the accused untruths next time, rather than simply deeming them untrue yourself.

link

So where's the outrage? Where are the nationwide protests about the laws actually being enforced?

Oh, that's right, we only enforce some of the laws some of the time. They're more like guidelines.

What is a state to do to protect its citizens when the federal government refuses to?
Voronwë the Faithful

All that article says is that Rhode Island state troopers go out of their way to cooperate with ICE, as opposed to Massachusetts state troopers. That's a far cry from a law that requires that all state and local law enforcement officers are required to arrest anyone they stop for any lawful reason that they reasonably suspect is an illegal alien. If you can't see the difference, there really isn't anything that I can say to you that will make any difference.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

halplm wrote:Ah, good ol' commenting on the poster and not the issue. Some things never change. :cheers:
When you present an issue in a way that makes it worth discussing, then perhaps it'll be discussed in a worthwhile way. Until then, I'll just point out that you do not present the issue in a way that makes it worth discussing with you.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:All that article says is that Rhode Island state troopers go out of their way to cooperate with ICE, as opposed to Massachusetts state troopers. That's a far cry from a law that requires that all state and local law enforcement officers are required to arrest anyone they stop for any lawful reason that they reasonably suspect is an illegal alien. If you can't see the difference, there really isn't anything that I can say to you that will make any difference.
Please explain what part of the arizona bill requires an arrest of suspected illegal status?

Here's the bill.

All arizona's law does is make what was a federal crime, also a state crime, so they can arrest people for what is ALREADY ILLEGAL.

The only reason this is necessary is because the feds refuse to enforce the law. Perhaps ICE isn't massively overworked in Rhode Island, so they can handle working with the state police to manage the situation in a tiny state far from the border... but they're not getting it done on the Mexican border.

And the suit has no mention of racial profiling or civil rights issues whatsoever. It is only referencing the supremacy clause stating that federal law supersedes state law. Given the state law is the same as the federal, this makes no sense.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

yovargas wrote:
halplm wrote:Ah, good ol' commenting on the poster and not the issue. Some things never change. :cheers:
When you present an issue in a way that makes it worth discussing, then perhaps it'll be discussed in a worthwhile way. Until then, I'll just point out that you do not present the issue in a way that makes it worth discussing with you.
Yes, that's what I said you did, commented on me, rather than contributing anything to any possible discussion... a tactic that is often used when people are presented with truths they dislike.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Hal and yov, this meta discussion precludes actual discussion. Please get back on topic, or the meta posts will be moved elsewhere.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Doesn't the issue with the Arizona law have something to do with the supremacy clause? :scratch:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

halplm wrote:All arizona's law does is make what was a federal crime, also a state crime
That's the point. You can't make something that is a federal crime also a state crime if it is in an area that is reserved for the federal government, as immigration is. As opposed to, for instance, drug trafficking, which can be made illegal under both state and federal law. I thought you were in favor of strict interpretation of the constitution? This is one area where the language of the document is quite clear, and it is still applicable today.
The only reason this is necessary is because the feds refuse to enforce the law. Perhaps ICE isn't massively overworked in Rhode Island, so they can handle working with the state police to manage the situation in a tiny state far from the border... but they're not getting it done on the Mexican border.

Even if that is true (and I don't substantially dispute it, you can't simply say that therefore the states can take over a responsibility that is specifically reserved for the federal government. You might as well just throw out the constitution altogether if you do that.
And the suit has no mention of racial profiling or civil rights issues whatsoever. It is only referencing the supremacy clause stating that federal law supersedes state law.
That's not entirely true, actually. While the suit does not specifically address racial profiling or include a cause of action under the equal protection clause (unlike other lawsuits filed by the ACLU and others), it does address civil rights concerns. For instance, the complaint states:
In addition, the mandatory nature of this alien inspection scheme will necessarily result in countless inspections and detentions of individuals who are lawfully present in the United States. Verification is mandated for all cases where an Arizona police officer has a “reasonable suspicion” that a person in a lawful stop is unlawfully present and it is practicable to do so. But a “reasonable suspicion” is not definitive proof, and will often result in the verification requirement being applied – wholly unnecessarily – to lawfully present aliens and United States citizens. Further, because the federal authorities may not be able to immediately verify lawful presence – and may rarely have information related to stopped U.S. citizens – Section 2 will result in the prolonged detention of lawfully present aliens and United States citizens. Section 2 of S.B. 1070 will therefore impose burdens on lawful immigrants and U.S. citizens alike who are stopped, questioned, or detained and cannot readily prove their immigration or citizenship status, including those individuals who may not have an accepted form of identification because, for example, they are legal minors without a driver’s license. Arizona’s alien inspection scheme therefore will subject lawful aliens to the “possibility of inquisitorial practices and police surveillance,” Hines v.
Davidowitz, 312 U.S. 52, 74 (1941)
In the declaration filed by the chief of police of the Tuscon, supporting the lawsuit, he writes:
Despite the executive order of Arizona Governor Jan Brewer to the contrary, Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training board has not been able to clearly define for Arizona's law enforcement officers what is reasonable suspicion regarding immigration status. Each police agency in this state will therefore develop its own definition, no doubt resulting in a patchwork of policies and procedures, with obvious danger to both law enforcement agencies and their communities. The relationship between law enforcement agencies and their communities will be seriously strained. Many community leaders now believe that their constituents will be unfairly targeted in the eyes of law enforcement. The concern is not over persons illegally present, but rather with legal citizens of the United States, who may, they believe, experience unnecessary and prolonged police contact based on their appearance of national origin or ethnicity. They fear the legislation codifies racial profiling, despite its wording, and such fear could destroy the good relationships that currently exist between police and local communities that have taken years to build through our efforts in community policing.
Similar statements appear in the declarations of the heads of the law enforcement department of the city of Phoenix and Santa Cruz County, AZ.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

My brother and sister-in-law live in AZ (and have for 20+ years) and it was interesting to hear their perspective on the whole immigration mess when we gathered for our family reunion.

Being directly on the Mexican border, especially with the current political situation in Mexico, is very different, I think, than living in other states. Both my bro and SiL agree that this recent law is basically a law of desperation...but they are equally frustrated with the Feds refusal to do anything about the problem - and it IS a real problem.

If this law gets the Feds attention, well, maybe it's a good thing in the long run.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame