The last movie you saw Thread

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Beutlin

Re: The last movie you saw Thread

Post by Beutlin »

Sunsilver wrote:Beutlin, if you want to see my review of MI2, please go back to pg. 24 on this thread. Not my cup of tea at all!
Sunsilver, I know where you are getting at, and by no means am I disagreeing with your assessment that MI2 is a pointless action movie. But it has its (mostly unintentional) selling points. MI2 is like a parody of modern Hong Kong action movies and everything is so sincerely bad (it does not try to be ironically bad either) that I always crack up seeing it. So in that sense, the scene where Cruise and his nemesis collide in midair after jumping off their motorcycles is truly superb. :D
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I just saw a six-hour French silent version of Les Misérables (from 1925-26) at my silent film festival in Italy! And one single amazing pianist accompanied all six hours of it! Oh my goodness, it was AMAZING!
:)
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Epic. The story is nothing new, but the animation is beautiful and I liked that the main girl character plays an active role that is not primarily fighting. And the main boy character is adorable.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Hah! It took me a moment or two to sort out that you were talking the movie titled Epic, not commenting on Teremia's six-hour silent Les Misérables! :rofl:

Epic sounds enjoyable, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Just got back from Steve Jobs. I really enjoyed it! I have no idea how historically accurate it is but I love its presentation of the various personal and professional conflicts in Jobs' life. The writing of the dialogue (by Aaron Sorkin, who I love and is the only reason I bothered to see this) is fantastic, making every scene dramatic and exciting. 4/5 stars!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Martian. Loved it to bits. I love how hard sci-fi is cool now!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It sounds great. Science and tech are in with the Hollywood right now, with the biopics for Turing, Hawkins and Jobs.
I hope I'll find time to go see it. In the meantime,
Tuxedo. Jackie Chan, 'nuff said. I am a woman of simple tastes.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

The Martian with the boys and Matthias. And I already got tickets for StarWars on the 16th of December. For the four of us, the tickets were 90 Swiss francs... 22.50 per person (that would be 20€ and around I think 25$). It's the normal price for a 3D session here- and one of the reasons why I go so rarely to the movies. So I wonder: what is the cost of cinema where you live?

Oh, and I enjoyed the Martian quite a lot.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

A 3D evening feature would run $13 US/person where I live. Theaters here sell tickets below cost and try to make up the difference by charging exorbitant prices for concessions. If that isn't done in Switzerland, it may explain some of the difference.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I love Jackie Chan, but I thought The Tuxedo was the worst movie of his that I have seen.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I love Jackie Chan, but I thought The Tuxedo was the worst movie of his that I have seen.
Well, it's not his bestImage , but he's always a delight to watch. But yeah, it's the kind of movie where I only pay attention when he is doing his thing.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He is always a delight to watch.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I agree. There's always something attractive about a person who's very good at something who is also too smart to take himself entirely seriously. I think of Yitzhak Perlman grinning wickedly at the audience as he dashes through some impossible Paganini showpiece.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yes, doing something with great skill is one thing. Doing something with great skill and being able to screw around in the process...that's something else entirely.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So I finally saw The Martian, with Tom. Four thumbs up. Such fun to see a solid SF film that managed to be highly entertaining without breaking known physical laws. And that was suspenseful without being exhausting. And that had lovely effects and other-world scenery without that being the whole point.

That music, though! Gaaaah! :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I do want to see that.

We went to see Spectre last night. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie on a Friday night, and I think it might have been the opening. Anyway, the theatre was sold out. On many occasions I was reminded why I don't like going to the movie theatre itself. Someone behind me had bad breath and bad BO. An older guy in front of me chuckled or made some other sound of acknowledgement after EVERY SINGLE sentence and scene. (There are a few moments in the movie like that, granted, where you naturally do that. And then we all did*. There are some sweet cars, and I'm not a car person. There are some subtle homages to classic Bond. Etc.) Anyway, I would have cheerfully flicked him in the head if one could do that sort of thing with impunity.

Anyway, the movie was pretty good, entertaining, typical over-the-top Bond, a bit cheesy here and there, definitely unbelievable in a few places (mostly how the women just irresistibly fall into his arms). Up until the very end, I wasn't thinking about the time, which is nice. I'd say I was done with the movie about a half hour before it was, though, if that makes sense. But, overall, quite good.

I liked the guy who played the bad guy. I liked the supporting characters, too. I think Daniel Craig is okay, but he really does nothing for me. So when women are falling out of their clothes for him, I'm just thinking, "Really?" :suspicious:

Oh, and we have our tickets for Star Wars already, too.

Tickets about $12 here, Nin, unless we go on the cheap night. Then they're $5 or $7, I can't remember which.

*You could tell the Sherlock fans, though, when C comes on screen. I won't ruin it if you don't already know. :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

For the record, I would gladly fall out of my clothes for Daniel Craig. :P
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Really? :suspicious:

:P ;) (But, seriously, when do we disagree on men? This is disconcerting!)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

As I recall, you were once an Orly swooner so I'd say we disagree on men plenty of times. :P
-The Decemberists

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, well, if you're going to bring up empirical evidence, then fiiiiine.