The Hobbit - Awards thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:In short, I think operatic scores that are too heavily infused with choral work are often too much. Just a matter of taste, though, so there's really nothing to argue about! :)
:x There's always something to argue about! :rage:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Or to discuss politely. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Boooooooooooring. :roll:
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Dave_LF wrote:That's what everyone keeps saying, but although the song mentions the Misty Mountains, it isn't about them; it's about reclaiming long-forgotten gold from someone who made the trees blaze like torches. And that was more applicable than ever.
Oh, I agree that the song isn't about the Misty Mountains. I just think that this may have been behind the thought process of either PJ or Shore. Either that, or it was a convenient justification for abandoning a musical theme that Shore may not have liked (and wasn't his!).
Passdagas the Brown

Politeness is like, sooooo this morning.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote: Elen,

You have earned the right to hit me with a fish. :)

I find this one's usually effective enough... :poke:
PtB wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:The Misty Mountains song by the dwarves was great, but I really didn't like the way the theme burst in in its heroic form (worst offenders being during the troll scene, and Goblintown).
I very much agree with this, and I was quite pleased (and more than a little surprised) that they dropped it altogether in DoS. Which of course puts me at odds with virtually everyone else who has commented on it.
Except for me, of course. :)
(And me)
I think there were other ways they could have used the Misty Mountains theme to great effect, but that just wasn't the case in AUJ, and I'm glad it was left out of DOS.
Yes, - as Kzer_za says, it didn't seem to have the development into different variations as the Fellowship theme received, which might have made its repetition more palatable.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

I, also, was glad to see the Misty Mountains theme gone. It was too obviously being used as a faux-Fellowship theme (especially when they leave Rivendell, where it's very obvious that it's supposed to mirror the scene from FOTR*). The lack of development was part of what bothered me, but I'm also not sure the dwarves merited such a blatantly heroic theme.

Some of the more reflective statements were fine, but in any case I still prefer Shore's own themes he wrote for them, which *are* being developed more gradually. And I would agree that the theme not being entirely Shore's is probably a factor in it being dropped so entirely (though I'd still be surprised if it's not in the next film at all).

In short, I think operatic scores that are too heavily infused with choral work are often too much. Just a matter of taste, though, so there's really nothing to argue about! :)
While it probably does come down to a matter of taste, saying that probably sounds too close to "agree to disagree" for Yov ;), so I will continue to argue by saying that while it might have been too much for a more subtly directed film, it was exactly what PJ's LOTR needed; take it away and I'm not sure I'd like the Trilogy at all. Put a more low key score in the Weathertop scene, and it wouldn't work at all. Have a more atmospherically creepy scene to begin with, and it probably wouldn't need so much music. I can readily imagine a less heavily scored LOTR, but that's the next adaptation of it, fifteen years from now.
Though surely the music in the Smaug scenes (particularly before the dwarf-dragon confrontation) with those Balinese bells, was the best music across all five films??!!
It's up there for me! But I agree that the music should have higher in the mix there. I'm one those people that likes it when music dominates a film! ;)

I also agree (darnit, there I go not arguing again! :x) that silence was used well in DOS. That might be my one complaint about the LOTR scores, cut the amount of music down to 75-80% instead of 95% (not too much though!) and it would increase the impact of the music that is there.

I thought the music fade out at the end as Smaug flies off (after that amazing choral piece as he shakes off the gold) worked very well. On the other hand though, I dislike the similar end to AUJ; I love the huge melodramatic statement of Smaug's theme Shore wrote for him opening his eye and the fade to black.

*I much prefer Shore's original intentions for that scene, where theme is used to much better effect, IMO
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Desolation of Smaug nominated for three Oscars!

The nods are for Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects...

(but nothing for Production Design, Make-up or Costume)

http://oscar.go.com/nominees
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Nominated for FX and "those categories nobody's entirely sure what they mean". :)
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I noticed there were only three films nominated in the Make-up and Hairstyling category...don't see why TH:DoS shouldn't have got a Nóm if there's a shortage of other more worthy movies.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm sure that PtB can explain to you why DoS wasn't worthy of a make-up Nóm. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Maybe that particular craft is less likely to renominate a series film if they've already rewarded what they feel is similar work.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Very surprised and strange about the production design. Equally unexpected wete the sound categories.
I hope Gravity wins best picture though. :D
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm sure that PtB can explain to you why DoS wasn't worthy of a make-up Nóm. ;)
Not talking about worthiness here.
But in a list that has hardly ANY noticeable contenders I can't see why it should not have made the shortlist at least.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Considering the kinds of movie that often get nominated for makeup, their standards are clearly something different than what we as lay-people see because often times the noms go to movies with very little flashy or noticeable makeup/hair work. That said....I don't really think the make-up/hair of the dwarves is very good. (Neither was Gimli's). Too much of it is clearly prosthetic and doesn't really look that natural.
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

*speaking of costume design here.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm sure that PtB can explain to you why DoS wasn't worthy of a make-up Nóm. ;)
Perhaps he can explain it to the BAFTA committee as well, since they saw fit to nominate DoS in that category! ;)
~Diana Cortes
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

yovargas wrote:Considering the kinds of movie that often get nominated for makeup, their standards are clearly something different than what we as lay-people see because often times the noms go to movies with very little flashy or noticeable makeup/hair work. That said....I don't really think the make-up/hair of the dwarves is very good. (Neither was Gimli's). Too much of it is clearly prosthetic and doesn't really look that natural.
I think the hobbit feet have also outstayed their welcome. They look like big, stiff plastic slippers.
Passdagas the Brown

Thanks yov. You saved me from my imminent broken record response to the makeup question. :) I'm actually rather baffled by the makeup fail for AUJ and DOS - particularly the hair/ beards on the dwarves. Uncharacteristic.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Thanks yov. You saved me from my imminent broken record response to the makeup question. :) I'm actually rather baffled by the makeup fail for AUJ and DOS - particularly the hair/ beards on the dwarves. Uncharacteristic.
But how much of that is due to 48 fps? It didn't look distractingly bad in 24 fps to me...
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I wonder if the makeup snub has to do with using CGI instead of makeup alone for the orcs and goblins played by flesh-and-blood actors.