Hobbit Video Diary links and discussion

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Industry and government aren't nearly as much fun.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Message from Peter Jackson on his Facebook page...
Hi everybody. We will have a new on-set video from THE HOBBIT coming here soon!
:)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Exciting! :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cool! Of course, soon is a relative term, but he has tended to post them on Fridays, so I look to see it on Friday.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

These videos are doing more than anything else to get me back to the year 2001. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

The production video is up at PJ's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 0773691807
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

OMG...New Zealand looks even more stunningly beautiful than I remember from LotR!!! :sunny:

One thing that stands out - PJ says almost immediately that Laketown doesn't feature until film two so that gives more hints to end point for Film 1 (after Barrels?)

And I do believe I spotted Roäc at 7:17! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have always said that the end of Movie 1 is going to be the barrels going down the river.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Spoiler from a different cinematic/literary piece:
Hidden text.
A Song of Ice and Fire has a scene with a dwarf and a barrel. And a character named Daemon who is a minstrel.
Time wise in literary terms, the split should probably come before that, but cinematic-ally with glorious battles and Necromancer scenes, that sounds about right.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:sunny:

I enjoyed that. New Zealand is incredibly gorgeous!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<fights urge to jump up and down squeeing wildly>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Courtesy of Carne on TORn, some screen caps of possible new Dwarves...

Any guesses? Thror, Thrain, even a Dwarf woman? One certainly seems to be wearing a "miner's" helmet with candle lights!
~Diana Cortes
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Elentári wrote:One certainly seems to be wearing a "miner's" helmet with candle lights!
Reminds me of Pratchett's dwarves.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Inanna wrote:
Elentári wrote:One certainly seems to be wearing a "miner's" helmet with candle lights!
Reminds me of Pratchett's dwarves.
Shhh! Don't say that in front of Voronwë!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Another one finally. I haven't watched it yet:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=101 ... 3926807%20
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm surprised (almost shocked) that no one else has watched this, or at least commented on it. But then again, I haven't commented on it since watching it. Good stuff, with some interesting glimpses here and there, but the ending is what really makes it worthwhile (but I won't reveal what that is). Totally worth watching for that reason at all.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I want to watch it. I'm a little constrained in my video watching during the work day because my husband is working, too, in the next room, and if I start up a video he simply can't ignore it; he has to come watch, too. So we both get interrupted. Twice as expensive. :P Thus I tend to wait until we're not doing paid work any more.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Very cool. Why is that these things always seem to be released when I'm away from the internet for a few days?

I'd say the fact that they blurred some things out due to being film 2 material but showed lots of shots of dwarves in barrels pretty much confirms that film 1 breaks after that.

Does this mean we might finally be seeing that Quint report soon?
Voronwë the Faithful

The word from him is that he doesn't know.

And good point about the barrels. Although I didn't really have any doubt about that even before.

The other interesting thing about the barrels is the fact that they are open. That is definitely a change, but one that makes sense, so long as as the barrels start out closed. I can't imagine any way that they could make it work otherwise.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I finally watched it. The end was great.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup