Kids and food additives

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
vison
Best friends forever

Kids and food additives

Post by vison »

Dig deeper.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

the article wrote:Popular drinks and sweets that still contain one or more of the named additives include Diet Coke, Irn-Bru, Orangina, Refreshers and Skittles
I'm going to have to warn my kids. They love skittles.
Lily Rose
earthbound misfit

Post by Lily Rose »

Surprise, surprise...
Common sense would tell you that all of this artificial crap that they keep adding to our food couldn't possibly be good for you.

Talking about unpleasant chemicals, I read an article in a magazine, today that said that the chlorine used in pool water damages the lining of the lungs.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

You want to be really creeped out? Look into the lead contamination of our children.

If you think those toys from China are the only problems with lead, you are sadly mistaken.
Dig deeper.
Lily Rose
earthbound misfit

Post by Lily Rose »

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1626429

This is not the same article that I saw yesterday, but it has all of the same information. [/url]
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

*is grateful that only really had wooden toys as a child*

I had a train set as well...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Chlorine damages lung linings??? My youngest daughter is a lifeguard and has complained before that high chlorine levels at the indoor pool makes it hard to breath while she's on stand.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Well, pure chlorine gas is classed as a chemical weapon (although it's not a very effective one). It's mildly (but only mildly) surprising that it's hazardous at the levels in an indoor pool area.
Lily Rose
earthbound misfit

Post by Lily Rose »

I was not amused, because all of my step-daughters have asthma and they spend all kinds of time in a chlorinated pool over the summer.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Outdoor or indoor? You would think outdoors it wouldn't be as much of an issue--ventilation isn't an issue and I believe indoor pools just use more of the stuff.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I swim in swimming pools once in a blue moon, because I am super-sensitive to the chlorine, and know I am going to suffer afterwards. I try to limit the damage by wearing goggles or even a face mask, if they will allow it.

As a kid, I had to stop swimming in pools at all after a number of ear infections. (Nope, it did not seem to be the cause of my hearing loss...)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Lily Rose
earthbound misfit

Post by Lily Rose »

It is an outdoor pool, so hopefully it won't be so bad. However, kids do manage to swallow half the pool while they are swimming.
I am concerned about it because they all already have asthma not to mention allergies and a thousand other health issues.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

It's still much preferable to catching typhoid, I think.

I don't think that swallowing the chlorine is a problem for the lungs. I guess it's true you can have too much of it, but if you are sensitive to it, you should swim in a lake or so instead of a swimming pool.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.