Political Ideology Test

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.

You believe (see below for options):

No votes
20%
47%
27%
No votes
No votes
No votes
7%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15

Túrin Turambar

Political Ideology Test

Post by Túrin Turambar »

It just occured to me that this board has not yet been subjected to my all-purpose, non-discriminatory, comprehensive and entirely value-neutral political ideology quiz ;)

In our debates, we tend to focus a lot on issues - being for or against public healthcare, for or against the Iraq War, for or against gay marriage, ect. We don't often consider the worldview that gives rise to these beliefs.

This is a simple way of comparing our beliefs on fundamental issues. Of the following options, choose the one which best describes your beliefs.

Each category provides, in general, answers to the following questions:

What is your view on human nature?
What is the worst case scenario?
What is society?
What is the role of Government?
How should the economy operate?

You believe that:

1) People are autonomous individuals and are generally rational and capable of making their own way in life. They have a right to freedom, and tyranny and oppression is the worst situation that they can find themselves in. Society is simply a union of individuals. Government is a necessary evil, and is required to protect citizen’s security and enforce their agreements with each other. The economy works best as a free market.

2) People are autonomous individuals and are generally rational and capable of making their own way in life, although they may require some assistance. They have a right to freedom, and tyranny and oppression is the worst situation that they can find themselves in. Society is basically a union of individuals. Government does serve a necessary function, protecting citizen’s freedoms, enforcing their agreements and providing services that would not otherwise be supplied. However, private ownership is preferable to public. The economy works best as a market, although some regulation is necessary.

3) People are individuals and are generally rational and capable of making their own way in life, although everyone needs some assistance. They have a right to freedom, and tyranny and oppression is the worst situation that they can find themselves in. However, being in a disadvantaged situation results in just as much oppression as does being in a situation of direct coercion. Government is necessary to protect citizens, protect their rights and to give them a hand up when they need it. Private ownership is desireable, but public ownership is necessary in some cases. The economy works best as a market, although regulation is necessary to protect the citizens and/or environment. Generally, a peaceful foreign policy is desirable.

4) People have rationality and individuality, but are also basically good and social. It is necessary to balance the rights of the individual with the rights of the collective. Therefore, the Government must protect the citizens but also ensure that they are free from the evils of poverty, squalor and discrimination. Public ownership is necessary for natural monopolies. A market economy is necessary, although it must be regulated to make it work more equitably and/or in a more environmentally friendly way. Generally, a peaceful foreign policy is desirable.

5) People are essentially good and social, but in danger of being duped by oppressive systems and vulnerable to exploitation. They have a right to a certain standard of living, and serious inequality or oppression by more powerful groups is the worst situation society can find itself in. The Government must enforce citizen’s rights to their standard of living. Most industries and assets should be publicly owned, although a limited market is helpful. Generally, a peaceful foreign policy is desirable.

6) People are essentially good and social, but in danger of being duped by oppressive systems and vulnerable to exploitation. They have a right to a certain standard of living, and serious inequality is the worst situation society can find itself in. The Government must enforce citizen’s rights to their standard of living, and is justified in taking strict measures to do so. The economy should be planned to ensure the most efficient and equitable outcome, and all means of production should be publicly owned and operated.

7) People are fundamentally good and social, but in danger of being duped by oppressive systems and very vulnerable to exploitation. Society is typically divided between the oppressed and the oppressors, and only when the first overthrow the second will a good outcome be achieved and an ideal society attained. In this society, Government will be unnecessary as people will work together to achieve their ends, and nation states will not exist. A revolution will be necessary to achieve this.

8 ) People naturally fall into a pre-ordained hierarchy, and society works best when everyone knows their place and fills it. Society is an organic entirety that follows a natural development and forms a natural order. Social decay leading to anarchy is the worst case scenario. Government, preferably under a stable hereditary monarchy and supported by religious institutions, is essential to ensure that society does not decay and to protect citizens, and there are mutual rights and responsibilities running throughout it. The market is the natural way of distributing goods, and the ability to own private property is an essential right which leads to stability.

9) People are basically rational, but also prone to moral wickedness. Society is an organic entirety that follows a natural development and forms a natural order. Social decay leading to anarchy or oppression is the worst case scenario, and people’s peace and freedom are threatened by collectivism. Government is essential to ensure that society does not decay and to protect citizens, and there are mutual rights and responsibilities running throughout it. Generally, a small Government economically and a fairly isolationist foreign policy is preferable. Policy should be tried, tested and pragmatic. The market is the natural way of distributing goods, and the ability to own private property is an essential right which leads to a stability.

10) People are basically rational, but also prone to moral wickedness. Society is basically a union of individuals, but it is also an organic entirety. Social decay leading to anarchy or oppression is the worst case scenario, and society is under threat from the advocates of big Government and social permissiveness, both of which damage the way it naturally functions. Government is essential to ensure that society does not decay and to protect citizens, and there are mutual rights and responsibilities running throughout it. Generally, a small Government is preferable, although big Government can be necessary at times. Sometimes, an aggressive foreign policy is in the national or global interest. The market is the natural way of distributing goods, and the ability to own private property is an essential right, although it may, realistically, need some regulation.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

You left off "Workers of the World Unite!" from the end of 7. ;)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I voted for 3, which is closest to my thought.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

2 for me.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

None of the above, I'm afraid.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Somewhere between 2, 3, and 4, with 4 being in there because it's the first one to mention peaceful foreign relations - I don't believe it is the job of any government to police the world - but otherwise the domestic issues of 4 are already too socialized for my taste. 2 or 3 would come pretty close to suiting me. God is in the details, of course.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I like 7 and 8. Mandatory revolution or hereditary monarchy? I can't quite decide.

I know I'm supposed to take this seriously, but it's hard not to find things to be amused at.

I'm also having fun with "moral wickedness".

3 mentions peaceful foreign relations, by the way.

I guess if I had to choose one I'd go with 2 or 3. Say, e.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I went with 3. Peaceful foreign relations and no moral wickedness. I'd've taken 2, but recent events have made it clear to me that private ownership is not always preferable to public. I do want to dispute that "everyone needs some assistance" (3), but if that includes the entire span of life it is hard to deny. Most of us (Americans) relied on public education; most of us will die on Medicare. Neither of those is a bad thing.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I like recreational drugs.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

None of the above for me aswell, I'm afraid. 8 sort of appeals to me, but I think Church and State should be entirely separate, and that government should by nature be religiously unaligned.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Bits of 3/4 and the part about people being vulnerable to exploitation/duping from 5. I know how marketing works. As does Scott Adams, if you've been looking at Dilbert the past couple of days. :D
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

I voted 4. I would have voted three but I think the government should do more than 'give a hand up' to people in bad circumstances. Of course 4 isn't exactly to my liking either...
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I'm a 9. And proud!!! And I haven't had any recreational drugs for several hours.

Anyone who doesn't agree with me is crazy, except for Voronwë, who's an 11, apparently.

I'm sorry, Ax, you can't be "bits of 3 and 4", nor can you admire 5 without being a 5. If I catch you away from the front with your officer's jacket still on, I'll have you shot. You are in the Italian Army, or you are a traitor.

Let's talk details: which of the items in #9 is untrue? I can't find one, but I'd like to hear why you think it/they is, and I'd like to hear why the parallel item in your choice is optimal.

*Goes back to comtemplating the sunlight.*
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

11. People are basically good and social, but a few are real bastards and some are more stubborn than nail fungus and many are dumber than golf balls. So whatever the political system, it is going to be messed up and many are going to be unhappy. And it's best to try to do what good one can, and then sit back and laugh at the show.

ETA: and try not to let the real bastards take over, no matter what their "ideology"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Re: Political Ideology Test

Post by truehobbit »

I'm 3 and 5
Lord_Morningstar wrote: 3) People are individuals and are generally rational and capable of making their own way in life, although everyone needs some assistance. They have a right to freedom, and tyranny and oppression is the worst situation that they can find themselves in. However, being in a disadvantaged situation results in just as much oppression as does being in a situation of direct coercion. Government is necessary to protect citizens, protect their rights and to give them a hand up when they need it. Private ownership is desireable, but public ownership is necessary in some cases. The economy works best as a market, although regulation is necessary to protect the citizens and/or environment. Generally, a peaceful foreign policy is desirable.

5) People are essentially good and social, but in danger of being duped by oppressive systems and vulnerable to exploitation. They have a right to a certain standard of living, and serious inequality or oppression by more powerful groups is the worst situation society can find itself in. The Government must enforce citizen’s rights to their standard of living. Most industries and assets should be publicly owned, although a limited market is helpful. Generally, a peaceful foreign policy is desirable.
I think that people are generally capable of making their own way in life, but are nevertheless vulnerable to exploitation.
3 admits that exploitation is just as bad an oppression as any other political tyranny, so there doesn't seem much difference there, except that five stresses the duty of the government to prevent exploitation as much as other oppression.
I couldn't make up my mind whether oppression by more powerful groups or oppression by someone unnamed is worse - frankly, I don't see the difference.

I think the only disagreement I have with five is that 'most' industries should be publicly owned - there's quite a number that should be, but I don't think that makes 'most'.

So, I guess, all in all, I'm a little more 5 than 3, but can't subscribe to 5 fully and think that 3 sounds rather more relaxed, which is nice, too.

Haven't voted yet, though.

bt, which part of #9 is untrue?

The part about private property ensuring stability.
That's not to say that private property is harmful.
But I wonder where one could get the idea that it creates stability.

Frelga - LOL! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

May I change my vote to 11? :)

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You are in the Italian Army, or you are a traitor.
Can't I be both? And hang out with a cute nurse?
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

*Throws tiny tantrum*

NO, NO, NO!!!!!

This isn't a dartboard. It was "11's" that were traitors at the 11th Orionzo, and before. They like the idea of war and the idea of defeating the Hun, but they do not like the fact. They just wanted to go back to the bodega and talk about it some more.

truehobbit wrote:
bt, which part of #9 is untrue?

The part about private property ensuring stability.
That's not to say that private property is harmful.
But I wonder where one could get the idea that it creates stability.

I ponder where I could get that idea. Oh, I remember!!!! From history. And from personal observation of neighborhood dinamics. And from human nature.

Please don't think that I'm referring to an institutional landed class or a plutocracy.

*Retires to hospital bed to be cured of cowardice by staff.*
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

wikipedia gives the following definitions of "bodega":
A Spanish term meaning a warehouse; especially for the storing of wine usually located on the premises of a winery. Bodegas can also store other alcoholic beverages and spirits.
A bodeguita, a general store in Latin America
A term used in the United States, especially in New York City, to refer to a convenience store.
A term used in Poland to refer to a brothel.
A shoe store in Boston
A term used to refer to the clip for your pocket on the top of a pen cap.
A town in California near Bodega Bay
Which one are we Elevenses supposed to want to go back to? I don't have any particular use for a brothel or a pen clip, but a trip to a convenient winery warehouse and general store that sells shoes in California does sound appealing.

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

We agree in our observations, then, and disagree in our conclusions.
In my personal observation it's that very neighbourhood dynamics that originate from private property that prevent stability and are responsible for constant shift and change.
As is already expressed in the word 'dynamics'.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.