Nature Pics

For the appreciation of the glorious beauty of nature and in unexpected places.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Gosh, it's been a while since I've browsed through this thread, but as usual, I'm just :love: over the pics. What a lovely way to spend some time on a wet and stormy night.
Thank-you, Voronwë! :hug:

Here's my latest submission. I'm trying.........I mean REALLY trying.....to find some beauty in rain!

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

And succeeding marvelously. :love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Even this far south, we're having outrageous amounts of rain, and the rivers are reaching flood stage. Fortunately, the most vulnerable people put their houses on stilts years ago. But it is wet wet wet. I went looking for a rain picture as lovely as yours, Ath, and found only mud.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Beautiful, Ath! :love:

IS, you took those pics yourself? Wow! :shock: :D
We call the little critter "Taubenschwänzchen" (funny looking word, isn't it? ;) )- "little dove-tail".

Here's a pic from the island of Rügen, in the Baltic Sea, Germany's largest island:

I don't know if the pic is before or after erosion - there was a major collapse in some of the most famous cliff shapes on the island last year.

The island itself has some beautiful landscape, though it's rather endangered by attempts to increase the capacity for tourism.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Taken in Kinghorn, Fife:

IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

Impenitent and I had a synchronous event last week. I was getting ready to post this Hubble when she posted hers along with an orchard shot. In reply:

This is in Tuscany:

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

LOL - almost the same! :D

Though - I've seen the first one linked to on TORC, for, ahem, humourous reasons! ;)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Hmmmmm.....I'm getting fixated on water drops. :help:

Rain falling onto the surface of a pond:

A single droplet caught falling into still water:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Some folks think of our Whistler when they see the name Whistler. Our Whistler thinks of the painter.

Here's MY local Whistler:

This is, of course, one small corner of Whistler Mountain, for which the ski resort is named.
Dig deeper.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I love rain - though the continuous one does get onto ones nerves.

A snap taken ages ago:

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Sometimes I struggle with living in Indiana... but it has some beauty too:

IdylleSeethes

Post by IdylleSeethes »

Sometimes Indiana needs a helping hand.

Indianapolis in mid spring

Indianapolis in summer

Fort Harrison in fall

Fort Harrison in winter

Actually, Indiana has some nice scenery along the Ohio. I'll dig out some old 35mm pictures sometime.
Voronwë the Faithful

Beautiful pictures, all. :love:

Continuing my subliminal campaign, these are both of Mt. Tamalpais, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, and one of my very favorite places:

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Gee. Are you trying to get us all to California? Or something?

Ha.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

As if. :roll:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Ath, Prim, send some of that rain down here to us. We're in a severe drought and the two days we've actually had rain since December 7th have been GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Instead, it seems that I need to find the beauty in this:

:(
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

ttbk
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Eru....... :hug:

I've never experienced drought. Both my parents came from the prairies and their "dustbowl" stories of the '30's always made me feel lucky to be raised in such a lush, green place as the southern BC coast. When it rains for weeks at a time here, I really should remind myself of that, because without rain, there wouldn't be places like this to walk:

If I could, I'd send you some rain in the mail, Eru. I hope a break in the weather comes soon.

TTBK.......is that a poinsettia I see before my eyes? I love poinsettias, but unfortunately they live on borrowed time in my house. My mother can nurture hers for years, but for me, it's six weeks - tops - and then they just lose the will to live. :(
I like the almost silhouette effect of the photo, with the back light shining through the red of the leaves. Very nice indeed! :)

Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Voronwë the Faithful

Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Ath, neither lots of rain or no rain is good....only a fair balance. I remember there only being four days of sunshine during February when I was in Wales and it was depressing. I like the summer weather in an area my family visits in Colorado. It has afternoon showers but the rest of the day is gorgeous. That's perfect to me. :)