Tony Blair stands down

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Lord Morningstar ... I enjoy your astute political analysis. :)

Honestly, I was pretty happy with Blair's government until the Iraq war.

Ever since then, things have just been ... weird.

The whole thing ... the whole way it was done ... the whole PRETEXT on which it was done ... *shakes head*

It is amazing to me, truly, that Blair has survived politically as he has. I suppose you could say that of many of our Prime Ministers though. ;)

In other news, one day into Brown's premiership and ANOTHER major terrorist attack in London is planned. :x :( Foiled, thank God. It makes me shudder to think of what could have happened this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6252276.stm
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

Are you so surprised? Not long ago MI5 reported that there were over 200 radical cells in Britain that they were monitoring- and a further unknown number they don't know about.

The location is interesting- the middle of a nightclub district, with echoes of the Ministry of Sound plotters and their desire to kill "immodest women" and "slags."
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Well, pardon me for sounding SURPRISED. ;)

I was a teenager during the IRA bombing campaign but funnily enough I can never get used to the idea of a group of people planning to rip the limbs off a whole bunch of other people because ... well, who the hell cares why because. I don't care what their cause is, planning this kind of mass murder is wicked and contemptible.

I don't want to stop being 'surprised' - and shocked, and sick, and angry -at things like this.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

You should also be scared. This plot flew right under MI5's and Special Branch's radar- and but for a couple of alert citizens Picadilly would have looked like something out of Baghdad today.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Erm, we don't do scared. Annoyed, yes.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

A couple of car bombs, in the perspective of 1940, or even the IRA 70s-80s, probably don't have quite the same psychological impact in London that they would in NYC or LA. When large chunks of your cities have been flattened in living (for a bit yet) memory, it gives a people perspective.

That doesn't mean the threat isn't real, but it's not in the same league. Not yet.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

According to Sky News, Gordon Brown has been getting good marks for his performance, and Labour’s ahead in the opinion polls. There’s speculation that he’ll capitalize on that and call an election. At the same time, it’ll give him the mandate that he no doubt would like.

I can see the advantages to it – he can go while he’s still in his honeymoon, and while people are more hopeful than dissatisfied in his Premiership. Sooner or later, he’s going to have to start doing things that some people are going to dislike (or else not do things that some people are going to expect, like pull out of Iraq). Until then, though, he might have a good shot at getting handily returned.

On the other hand, it’s risky. The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats could bounce back at any time. His support could be soft, and could melt away quickly in the intensity of an election campaign, and an 11-year-old Government is always vulnerable.

If he holds off, he’s guaranteed Government until 2010. If he goes now, he has a good chance of getting Government until 2012. Or else, he might loose everything now. What will he do?
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:Erm, we don't do scared. Annoyed, yes.
And that also within the limits of reason and taste.

:D

Not sure if it has to do with having seen some real destruction not long ago, though. We would have to be the same, then, and I can't imagine we'd stay as calm. It's just an English thing, I think. Extreme emotions, including fear, are just not done. It has to do with number one rule of not taking anything too seriously, I think. I don't know how they manage it, but I think it's so ingrained, the calm is not even just outward show but quite real.
:thumbsup:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alys

Post by Alys »

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:Erm, we don't do scared. Annoyed, yes.
Indeed. :D And in Scotland we'll "set aboot ye!", in the words of one rather famous baggage handler. ;)
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

I know the feeling isn't always reciprocated Alys but who could be blessed with better, more feisty neighbours. :bow:
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

So, what does "set aboot ye" mean? :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Alys

Post by Alys »

During the recent terrorist attack at Glasgow Airport a baggage handler, John Smeaton, and several others attacked one of the terrorists, kicking and punching him several times. That's what 'setting about' someone is basically.

I was rather proud of my fellow Scots for running towards the trouble to assist the police, rather than running away from the burning vehicle, which might have been the more instinctive thing to do.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Looks like Gordon Brown is actually staying ahead in the polls. It seems the malaise afflicting the Government has departed with Tony Blair. Will he sustain it, though?

You do see this sort of thing happening, though. David Cameron was popular in a large part because he was new and exciting compared to Blair. He lost some of that when the focus shifted onto Brown.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Spoke too soon. Brown's honeymoon seems to be over, and the Cameron Conservative Opposition is polling stronger than ever. Looks like a 2010 election.